Broken Frame - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2016, 03:43 PM   #1

Name: Bob
Trailer: Scamp
South Dakota
Broken Frame

Just came back from a 1300 mile trip, noticed the front of the 16' Scamp was leaning down. Crawled underneath and the drivers side frame rail is broken off, left side bent. I'll need to to take it to a frame shop for welding and reinforcing. Anybody gone through this before?
Stubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 03:57 PM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
While I have never had the problem, I'm sorry to say others have. Just where the frame exits from under the body is one failure point. While it doesn't help you, I believe Scamp has addressed the issue on current models. Others have had this problem repaired by a competent welder. Pictures would be helpful to other owners. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 04:41 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Bob
Norm and Ginny (honda03842) had their S-16 frame brake in a campground last year and they did a thread on it. Norm is currently on the Newfoundland trip but I'm sure he will chime in.
I had replaced quite a few front floors and that gives you unlimited access. I had come up with an unproven work around. My plan is directly above the crack take a 6" hole saw and drill out the floor above the frame. This should give you enough access to weld a plate to the frame.
Drill out the floor without a pilot bit, you do this by drilling a hole in another piece of plywood. You then screw the scrap piece of wood (with hole) to the floor. You can then take the hole saw w/o pilot bit and drill a hole over the crack. Take it slow near the frame. Save your cut out plug.
After repairing the frame put 4-6 Kreg screw holes in your cut out plug. Put your plug back in place and screw it to your frame. Then install Kreg screws to attach plug to the floor. Tape/seal the plug under the trailer then fill the gap and screw holes with thickened resin. You may be able to do this through the access holes with out removing the front bench.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 04:52 PM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
How hard is it to remove the frame for repairs?
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 05:13 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Next to but not impossible in a Scamp. Lots of Screws with rusted and filled heads. Also shell instability at door opening and almost complete disassembly of the trailer.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 05:30 PM   #6

Registry
Was just wondering...that allows easier access and I wonder about the rest of the frame.
Old 06-22-2016, 05:56 PM   #7

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Yep, mine broke there also. Not completely in two, the top was still just barely holding. I jacked it up level and welded 3"x1 1/2"X1/4" angle iron on each side and nested together on the bottom. I blew holes in the sides of the angle iron and plug-welded the sides to frame. I did not have to mess with the floor that way. Actually managed to not set the Scamp on fire. This is unusual as I usually set something ablaze when I weld. A couple of times it has been my belly, or at least the part of my T-Shirt over my belly. But I digress. At any rate the frame is now 1/2" thicker steel both ways. Yes, it is overkill, bigtime. But as I told somebody in Vo-Tec welding class many decades ago: "I did not set out to build the weak link". Someday, when I do my front dinette mod, I will redo the whole front "A" frame with thicker tubing so my daughter will inherit an upgraded "Scamp 2.0". That is if I don't wear it slap out myself traveling in retirement.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 08:28 PM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbs View Post
Just came back from a 1300 mile trip, noticed the front of the 16' Scamp was leaning down. Crawled underneath and the drivers side frame rail is broken off, left side bent. I'll need to to take it to a frame shop for welding and reinforcing. Anybody gone through this before?
What year is your Scamp?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 10:01 PM   #9

Name: Bob
Trailer: Scamp
South Dakota
Thanks for the replies, I'm going to contact some welding and or frame shops in Rapid City to see about getting it fixed, The Scamp is a 1987.
Stubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 10:53 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
Yep, mine broke there also. Not completely in two, the top was still just barely holding. I jacked it up level and welded 3"x1 1/2"X1/4" angle iron on each side and nested together on the bottom. I blew holes in the sides of the angle iron and plug-welded the sides to frame. I did not have to mess with the floor that way. Actually managed to not set the Scamp on fire. This is unusual as I usually set something ablaze when I weld. A couple of times it has been my belly, or at least the part of my T-Shirt over my belly. But I digress. At any rate the frame is now 1/2" thicker steel both ways. Yes, it is overkill, bigtime. But as I told somebody in Vo-Tec welding class many decades ago: "I did not set out to build the weak link". Someday, when I do my front dinette mod, I will redo the whole front "A" frame with thicker tubing so my daughter will inherit an upgraded "Scamp 2.0". That is if I don't wear it slap out myself traveling in retirement.
You may know that some time later about the time Scamp upgraded the axle rating, they also upgraded the frame tubing, both of which have proven to strike the right balance of durability and towability.
Old 06-22-2016, 10:56 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
You may know that some time later about the time Scamp upgraded the axle rating, they also upgraded the frame tubing, both of which have proven to strike the right balance of durability and towability.
Careful Floyd. You're getting awful close to admitting there might have been a problem.
Old 06-22-2016, 11:45 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Careful Floyd. You're getting awful close to admitting there might have been a problem.
Constant improvement dictates the recognition of problems when they exist. I have spent 12 years now pointing out and solving problems with Scamps both on and off this venue.
In fact I have endeavored to do the same for all makes of fiberglass trailers with some level of success, without resorting to condemning the entire make in any case.

What gripes me is the demonstrable unfair treatment Scamp receives on this forum.There is a lynch mob mentality every time someone has a minor problem such as the door gasket or a single broken rivet.
(Tongue in cheek, I must ask if it is only the result of higher expectations.)

Admittedly, I see Scamp as offering the best value in its class and I certainly can make the case for that position, but I see my purpose here as one of helping fiberglass RV owners of all makes to better enjoy the ownership and utility of finest genre of travel trailers ever devised.(Fiberglass RVs)

Just one example...
Did you hear even a single demand for the demolition of the Escape factory when they recalled more than five years of production due to cracked frames, more than a decade after Scamp had addressed the issue?
Answer?... It passed as a simple announcement without vitriol.

Of course it is acceptable for owners to express their frustrations with any product, but excessive condemnation must be challenged when it starts to obscure the effort to move on to solutions for real problems when they arise.
Old 06-23-2016, 01:21 AM   #13

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
What gripes me is the demonstrable unfair treatment Scamp receives on this forum.There is a lynch mob mentality every time someone has a minor problem such as the door gasket or a single broken rivet.
I think there are more complaints because there are more members who are Scamp owners.
That said, you can come to Scamp's defense, but it is the response of the manufacturer that really matters.
We saw what happened to ParkLiner, and now they try again, under new owners.
Escape owners, Tammy and Reace, have continuously gone above and beyond the norm to resolve problems.
I wish them all well.
Old 06-23-2016, 03:52 AM   #14

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Glenn, your comment may have some merit for unit numbers. But I think that the vast number of replies posted on any site tend to be negative of a product. If you're ticked you voice it, if you're pleased you move on to other things and rarely comment. I read a lot of reviews, add a few grains of salt, both ways and make my choice, 99% of the time it's fine. Monday/Friday build............who knows .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 04:07 AM   #15

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Frame Failure

The bend is a weak point in the frame. It should have been reinforced when built. Both sides will need to be reinforced. I would reinforce the frame all the way to Scamp's reinforcement (where the frame comes out from under the trailer). We added fishtales to the front side of Scamp's reinforcement piece as well.

Our reinforcement extends back from the front of Scamp's reinforcement to the point where the tubing doubles up.

All work was done from under the trailer.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 04:11 AM   #16

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Frame Failure

The bend is a weak point in the frame. It should have been reinforced when built. Both sides will need to be reinforced. I would reinforce the frame all the way to Scamp's reinforcement (where the frame comes out from under the trailer). We added fishtales to the front side of Scamp's reinforcement piece as well.

Our reinforcement extends back from the front of Scamp's reinforcement to the point where the tubing doubles up.

All work was done from under the trailer. C channel was used for most of it., About the same size as the existing channel with the c facing out and extending a little below the original box beam, providing a lot of welding area/

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 05:28 AM   #17
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Glenn, your comment may have some merit for unit numbers. But I think that the vast number of replies posted on any site tend to be negative of a product. If you're ticked you voice it, if you're pleased you move on to other things and rarely comment. I read a lot of reviews, add a few grains of salt, both ways and make my choice, 99% of the time it's fine. Monday/Friday build............who knows .

All designs are the result of compromise.

Criticism and complaint bring improvement.

The only one who claims perfection is the one seeking a profit.

Talk to any car saleman
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 08:13 AM   #18

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
All designs are the result of compromise.

Criticism and complaint bring improvement.

The only one who claims perfection is the one seeking a profit.

Talk to any car saleman
Uhauls weren't..they're rugged
Old 06-23-2016, 08:32 AM   #19

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
All designs are the result of compromise...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Thomas View Post
Uhauls weren't..they're rugged
Sure they were, Bruce, just a different set of design compromises than Scamps... which U-Haul owners discover when they need a new taillight lens or wheel.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:07 AM   #20

Registry
Sourcing a wheel or light after30 years isn't a compromise...flimsy trailers are though. Thing is, all they compromise is your safety and investment.