Build a fiberglass body - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2016, 09:51 AM   #21

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
To me, the biggest problem with starting molded fiberglass trailer production is the molds. Lots of money must be spent well before any incoming customer cash. If you were planning to build one up or stick built trailers, it is possible to use the sales of early trailers to support the process. Might be the way to start, although even one up fiberglass builds are expensive and involved. One of my favorite examples is the building of Rikki-tikki-tavi, a boat, not a trailer, by Clark & Nina (Trillium owners). Here is a link to the building process. If you haven't read it yet, you might want to look through the "Building of the Nest Caravan" thread on this site - lots of insight to the process from start to final product.

In any case, good luck with your enterprise!
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:26 AM   #22

Name: Attila
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Texas
Thank You Jon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
To me, the biggest problem with starting molded fiberglass trailer production is the molds. Lots of money must be spent well before any incoming customer cash. If you were planning to build one up or stick built trailers, it is possible to use the sales of early trailers to support the process. Might be the way to start, although even one up fiberglass builds are expensive and involved. One of my favorite examples is the building of Rikki-tikki-tavi, a boat, not a trailer, by Clark & Nina (Trillium owners). Here is a link to the building process. If you haven't read it yet, you might want to look through the "Building of the Nest Caravan" thread on this site - lots of insight to the process from start to final product.

In any case, good luck with your enterprise!
Atti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:44 AM   #23

Texas
Thank You Donna.

I found that company earlier who does that funky looking shalter camper . I liked the idea and not sure what happened with them but looks like they got some Fema order because they wont deal with public anymore. Just selling used ones. So kinda jumping back and forth between the two style as molded fiberglass or "lego camper" the way how i call them.
I don't want to spend money in front at all, kinda lucky situation with my friend because he want to build one for himself so the prototype will be on his budget. He had few FG jobs in Europe so he is very familiar the process. I am not. He made some crazy statutes and decorative items for movie scene. .. Iam ET so i can do any wiring and my friend here in Houston ( who built the tiny house) has contact to build frame and trailer for the base. So it can be done , I know it requires more research and thank you for the help. Next week i will get back the scratch from my friend at least to see what will be the form of the molded type. The idea is bring it back a vintage style but not a Scotty look , going for an older look lol.
In worst case i will make 1 or 2 for ourself ..
I really liked the idea of the VW bus looking camper in California, forgot the name and i don't want to bash them, I just didn't like the $26000 starting price

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Boy, this topic went south in a hurry.

Atti, in your post #5 you mentioned this: "We have 2 different design and ine of them is a diy style when you can slide the panels together,"

There's already a company doing the slide-together panels: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ups-41616.html You may want to check them out. We first heard about them in 2010, not much since.

You are really going to need to research your audience, market and competition.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:33 AM   #24

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
There is a program on TV called Shark Tank. Successful investors and entrepreneurs are pitched businesses to invest in by the inventor or small start up company. It is very interesting the reasons they give for deciding to invest or not invest.

Sometimes it is a great idea but not yet developed to the point of being an actual business. E.G your soap is wonderful but you are mixing it in your kitchen and delivering it with your car. What you have to invest in is a recipe not a business.

Or it could be amazing product, source of supply and patents in place but the cost to make and the market price is out of touch with the market. E.G the Christmas lights are really cool but they are $125 to make and sell for $250 and there just isn't the market for $250 Christmas tree lights.

Another problem can be there is nothing to keep a major player in that market from as one investor puts it "squash you like a cockroach" Having a new and clever idea is only a winning investment if you won't get creamed in the market place by someone that can do it better or cheaper.

Every so often the sharks will see the right attitude, drive, smart decisions being made, or the really popular reason to invest, sales are very good and going up rapidly for the last couple of years. In short they have real world proof that what they have is something that they can make profitable. Then more than one will compete for the chance to buy into that business. Citing contacts, outlets, experience in that market etc. In short a meeting of proven git-r-done accomplishments.

Take something as simple as investment capital, large company with established earnings and property can probably borrow at a better rate than a small start up. In a business such as FG molded products as large as a camper that should allow any established company an advantage over a start up.

Happier Camper seems to me is aimed at a different market than say Escape 5.0 or Bigfoot or even Scamp. I don't see that model as appealing as much to the retirement crowd doing fulltime or boondock camping for 10 days in the National Forest. But for younger people or families with young kids that will use it for weekend trips, a place to stay when attending events, day trips or tailgating, cross country travel to visit family to avoid restaurant and motel cost. Or people that camp simply as a way to stay close to the activities they enjoy like biking or kayaking. I think Happier Camper may find a ready market in some of those groups.

There is also a potential market for some very plain or do-it-yourself type campers. People on a tight budget willing to invest sweat equity. Or those that need a minimal equipment set to satisfy their needs and would find many amenities a waste of money and space. My school bus camper started out as a table to eat at and a place for all our gear. Ended up as a full fledged motor home.

Lot of us buy older campers, then fix them up a bit at a time. Others want it ready to go without any extra effort or "workarounds". Some want to be able to be able to travel for extended trips with all the comforts of home others are happy with much more basic amenities. They only sell TV antennas for campers because some people want to have a TV in the camper. My not wanting a TV is not the defining word on what camping really is. Heck even the kids are old enough to ignore me, the grandkids might get stuck doing it my way once in awhile.... maybe. My bow saw and axe you have to use it the way I show you.

I have had folks in $250k motorhomes come over to check out my little egg, or my $1000 school bus home built camper back when I used that. Nice folks to visit with, no better and no worse than the folks in the backpacking sized tent that come over for the same purpose. I do tend to make gentle fun of the folks that never come out of the home on wheels rigs but then for all I know they may be touring the country to visit all the great art and history museums and are tired from several days of walking. While I'm all fresh from sitting around the campfire for the last three days reading and drinking... coffee. With maybe a dash of Bailey's.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 12:51 PM   #25

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Atti, you might be interested in the Relic Trailer. The owners purchased the molds and a couple of prototype shells. There was an earlier thread that had some pictures of the as-found molds and shells in the original ad, but I couldn't locate it. They went for a good price with multiple bidders, I believe. Lots of work went into those molds.

Relic is finishing the interiors on a custom basis. The prototype mimics early vintage trailers with dark wood paneling and period-style fixtures. The linked thread indicates that the empty shells are priced at $16K. I know that's way above your target price range, but you expressed a preference for vintage style…
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 04:03 PM   #26

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
Personal attacks are not tolerated on FiberglassRV.com.

Several posts have been removed from this thread, which unfortunately means the loss of some good information.

Thank you, Mary! I think ALL new fiberglass endeavors should be supported and encouraged on this forum. Mike and Family have an adorable camper with a unique interior. I have followed DubBox since they got started in England (The mold was made of 2 VW bus bodies.). What a cute concept and product! I wish a DubBox owner would join us and tell us about them, although I apologize if someone has, and I missed it.

The developer who began this thread has an idea that fills a vacuum also.

Everyone play nicely in the sandbox here, please!

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 05:28 PM   #27

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atti View Post
Thank You Donna.

I found that company earlier who does that funky looking shalter camper . I liked the idea and not sure what happened with them but looks like they got some Fema order because they wont deal with public anymore. Just selling used ones.
Atti, I just checked the TealCamper website and it says this: Feb. 2016 - are in the process of reorganizing and hope to have product available soon. Please visit our websites and check back often for updates.

I then clicked on this image and flowed through the images. If you plan on building something similar, I believe you may do well. I wish you luck
Attached Thumbnails
TealCamper.JPG  
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 06:47 PM   #28

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atti View Post
If you buy a $10000 equipment to cut grass you still charge $40 for an individual. Your investment and advertising etc is your business. You write it down in your taxes. To blame high cost of your design and make the customers to pay for it well it is not me... when you can buy a brand new car for $16000 a fg small size camper shouldn't cost more than $10000....

Good luck with that business plan.

Keep in mind re the $16000 car that the manufacturer produces 100,000's of them....as well as other model cars at the same facility - meaning the overhead is spread out over thousands of vehicles.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 11:15 PM   #29

Texas
Thank You RogerDat! Lots of good info and things to consider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
There is a program on TV called Shark Tank. Successful investors and entrepreneurs are pitched businesses to invest in by the inventor or small start up company. It is very interesting the reasons they give for deciding to invest or not invest.

Sometimes it is a great idea but not yet developed to the point of being an actual business. E.G your soap is wonderful but you are mixing it in your kitchen and delivering it with your car. What you have to invest in is a recipe not a business.

Or it could be amazing product, source of supply and patents in place but the cost to make and the market price is out of touch with the market. E.G the Christmas lights are really cool but they are $125 to make and sell for $250 and there just isn't the market for $250 Christmas tree lights.

Another problem can be there is nothing to keep a major player in that market from as one investor puts it "squash you like a cockroach" Having a new and clever idea is only a winning investment if you won't get creamed in the market place by someone that can do it better or cheaper.

Every so often the sharks will see the right attitude, drive, smart decisions being made, or the really popular reason to invest, sales are very good and going up rapidly for the last couple of years. In short they have real world proof that what they have is something that they can make profitable. Then more than one will compete for the chance to buy into that business. Citing contacts, outlets, experience in that market etc. In short a meeting of proven git-r-done accomplishments.

Take something as simple as investment capital, large company with established earnings and property can probably borrow at a better rate than a small start up. In a business such as FG molded products as large as a camper that should allow any established company an advantage over a start up.

Happier Camper seems to me is aimed at a different market than say Escape 5.0 or Bigfoot or even Scamp. I don't see that model as appealing as much to the retirement crowd doing fulltime or boondock camping for 10 days in the National Forest. But for younger people or families with young kids that will use it for weekend trips, a place to stay when attending events, day trips or tailgating, cross country travel to visit family to avoid restaurant and motel cost. Or people that camp simply as a way to stay close to the activities they enjoy like biking or kayaking. I think Happier Camper may find a ready market in some of those groups.

There is also a potential market for some very plain or do-it-yourself type campers. People on a tight budget willing to invest sweat equity. Or those that need a minimal equipment set to satisfy their needs and would find many amenities a waste of money and space. My school bus camper started out as a table to eat at and a place for all our gear. Ended up as a full fledged motor home.

Lot of us buy older campers, then fix them up a bit at a time. Others want it ready to go without any extra effort or "workarounds". Some want to be able to be able to travel for extended trips with all the comforts of home others are happy with much more basic amenities. They only sell TV antennas for campers because some people want to have a TV in the camper. My not wanting a TV is not the defining word on what camping really is. Heck even the kids are old enough to ignore me, the grandkids might get stuck doing it my way once in awhile.... maybe. My bow saw and axe you have to use it the way I show you.

I have had folks in $250k motorhomes come over to check out my little egg, or my $1000 school bus home built camper back when I used that. Nice folks to visit with, no better and no worse than the folks in the backpacking sized tent that come over for the same purpose. I do tend to make gentle fun of the folks that never come out of the home on wheels rigs but then for all I know they may be touring the country to visit all the great art and history museums and are tired from several days of walking. While I'm all fresh from sitting around the campfire for the last three days reading and drinking... coffee. With maybe a dash of Bailey's.