Building a Screen Door - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2014, 04:47 AM   #1

Name: Harvey
Trailer: 1972 Trillium
Nova Scotia
Registry
Building a Screen Door

Hello
I have a 1972 Trillium. I want to build a screen door. I 'm sure I saw details here somewhere where someone build one. I can't find much in my search. Can someone provide a link? Thanks

Harvey
Harvey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:00 AM   #2

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I can't find our screen door information on the web site but here's a short description of what we did. If you're interested I'll take some pictures.

We went to Lowes and purchased a window screen kit. I made two screens and purchased a few small hinges and formed them into a folding door. I attached a fitted piece of wood to the cabinet on one side of our door way and attached the folding door to it. It closed against a similar piece mounted on the otherside.

The screen door is light and works very well. It is held closed by two magnetic latches. When it folds against the wall it is held in place by two other magnetic latches.

If you're interested PM me and I'll take and post some pictures.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:43 AM   #3

Florida
Screen Door Pictures

Here are a few pictures of our approach to a screen door. If you ever what finer details let me know,
Attached Thumbnails
20140707_080459.jpg   20140707_080527.jpg  

20140707_080440.jpg   20140707_080736.jpg  

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-07-2014, 07:13 AM   #4

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
Building a Screen Door

Norm,
That door looks just like a Factory built job! Great workmanship! That door will do the job and let in plenty of fresh air!!!! And, keep out the bugs!

Carl
Nut501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:30 AM   #5

Florida
It works very well to keep the bugs out.

We seal the hinge end of the door by letting the screening extend beyond the edge of the white door and tacking it to the wooden piece on the cabinet wall.

We seal the bottom of the door the same as the hinge side. except with out tacks. When we installed the screening in it's white frame we left a couple of inches over lap at the bottom which drags on the floor and seals the bottom gap.

We seal the center gap between the two pieces of the door with a piece of foam insulation that sticks to one side of the door and seals against the other side in the center when the door is closed.

The door closes against a wooden lip on the left side and top. At the top we have a piece of soft foam insulation as a seal.

The door was my first attempt and in retrospect I could do better in terms, particularly in terms of 'look-ability'. As to function it works pretty well better than some I've seen with small gaps here and there.

Thanks for the kind words.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-07-2014, 07:47 AM   #6

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Gord100 is often quoted and referenced.
Gord100's Trillium Trailer Webpage
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:04 AM   #7

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Norm/Ginny, that screen door look like the factory one that came on my new Scamp. Can't tell the difference. Likely homemade is cheaper too! If you don't want to do the work you can probably buy one from them.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:18 AM   #8

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I have the factory screen door on my Scamp with one mod. I took off the knob and bolted a doubled piece of 1" nylon strap in its' place. I kept bumping the knob coming and going (mostly while installing the new A/C) and decided it was quick and easy enough to change.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:30 AM   #9

Florida
It probably doesn't show in the pictures, we use a cabinet knob on the inside and a knitted cord on the front.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-08-2014, 09:43 AM   #10

Name: Chris
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
I just got a magic mesh like magnetic door, and cut down to size. We have two little kids, so as they go in and out the screen closes itself. Also when taking stuff in and out we don't need a free hand to open the screen.
Nelmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:05 AM   #11

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelmes View Post
I just got a magic mesh like magnetic door, and cut down to size. We have two little kids, so as they go in and out the screen closes itself. Also when taking stuff in and out we don't need a free hand to open the screen.
This seems like an ideal usage for a magnetic screen door, wish I had thought of it!
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:16 AM   #12

Name: Harvey
Trailer: 1972 Trillium
Nova Scotia
Registry
Thanks for all the info.

Harvey
Harvey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:17 PM   #13

Name: Barbe
West Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelmes View Post
How did you attach the Magic Mesh Magnet screen to your camper doorway?
Barbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 02:53 PM   #14

Name: Chris
Alberta
I plan to do it install another magnetic screen on my Red Boler, and will document it on this forum as it will have the original parts.

On my green trailer I was rebuilding it, so using the rivet holes for the drip cap above the door, I used screws from the outside to attach a piece of wood trim on the inside. Along the closet I ran a piece of trim down to the floor. These pieces where used to hold the screen in place.

I took the metal support off that helps keep the curve of the trailer and reinforces the door (on the bunk side) and replaced it with a wood piece I made. This allowed me to bring the wood out enough to make a vertical surface to attach the screen to.

Boler Screen Door installed | Family Outdoor Adventures

I plan to install one when I am back form my next trip, so in two weeks, and will be doing it without the need for so many custom pieces.

I also used speed sew fabric glue, as I do not have use of a sewing machine.

It is on it's second season now, sometimes the plastic pieces that hold the magnets open up, so I have used epoxy to glue them shut. I also had a piece of the screens fabric trim rip (users fault), so on the next one I plan to reinforce the outer trim.
Nelmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 05:48 PM   #15

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Gord100 is often quoted and referenced.
Gord100's Trillium Trailer Webpage
Roy THANKS for posting this. I've been hunting for Gord100's site since the Antitomato site went elsewhere. Cool beans!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 07:46 PM   #16

Name: Ronald
Trailer: Trillium 1979 13ft.
Ontario
Registry
Screen door

How does one attach screening to wooden door frame? I don't have the tools or know how to rabbet the wood to hold screen plastic retainer rope...
Butsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 07:57 PM   #17

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
The ropey stuff is called spline (I learned that last summer when I built a wood screen door for our back sunroom). I cut a groove in the wood that the spline would fit into. Best tool is a router, but I do not have one so I used a wobble blade on my table saw.

Some people have metal frames with screens made and insert them into the openings of the wood door. The outer face of the door is made with a lip that the frame butts up against, and some plastic clips on the inner face swivel on screws to hold from the other side.

A less elegant scheme woild be to lay the screen across the wood and tack the wood strips over the edges all around... but screen replacement later on would be messy.

Someone far handier than I will probably suggest an even better way.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 08:14 PM   #18

Name: Ronald
Trailer: Trillium 1979 13ft.
Ontario
Registry
Screen Door

Well, I haven't used my router or table saw in over 8 years so I got rid of them! Typical..NOW I need them! Lol! Getting metal framed inserts might be pricey, but will check into that. Wooden strips won't let me tighten the screening enough. I must think this thing out. Thanks for your speedy reply!
Butsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 05:38 AM   #19

Registry
I am in the process of replace the wooden screens on the family camp with new wooden frame screens. Originals are from 1932 so they have some problems. I am using mahogany and mitering the corners of the frames with biscuits at each. Before assembly I am running the wood members through the table to cut the groove for the spine. My spline is about 1/8 wide. I do a groove on scrap to figure out the width I want then run the members through. I did four last year and just finished two more for this year. I think this method would work well for a trailer door.
Doug Arthurs is offline   Reply With Quote