Burro - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2006, 10:50 AM   #1

Trailer: Burro
Registry
If I could make this link work for me, The stands would have been in the first one

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture_5.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	4303

Edit note: Downsized photo from 328k to 44k.
Denis Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 12:41 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Registry
This is very cool - looks sturdy!
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 07:46 PM   #3

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
[quote]If I could make this link work for me, The stands would have been in the first one

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]

How strong are they? Are they only for stablizing, or can they take the full weight of the trailer?
Old 08-02-2006, 06:47 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
How strong are they? Are they only for stablizing, or can they take the full weight of the trailer?
They look like regular tongue jacks, so should be able to take the full weight...[b]BUT they are mounted on the bumper...not the frame, and the bumper should NEVER be used to lift the trailer....so looks like used for stablizing only.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 08:43 AM   #5

Trailer: Burro
Registry
Quote:
They look like regular tongue jacks, so should be able to take the full weight...[b]BUT they are mounted on the bumper...not the frame, and the bumper should NEVER be used to lift the trailer....so looks like used for stablizing only.

Yes They are tongue jacks rated at 2000 lbs they were reinforced to the frame and you can change the tires using them. the trailer is only 900 lbs and another 1000 lbs of gear would be hard to do.
Denis Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 09:04 AM   #6

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
Quote:
Yes They are tongue jacks rated at 2000 lbs they were reinforced to the frame and you can change the tires using them. the trailer is only 900 lbs and another 1000 lbs of gear would be hard to do.
You reinforced the bumper mount? It seems like you have the best solution for a leveling system if it can take the weight of the trailer. I'd like to know how you reinforced the bumper.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:24 AM   #7

Trailer: 87 U-Haul CT13
Looks similar to the jacks I added to the back of the UHaul. I mounted mine through the bumper, into the plates connecting the frame to the bumper, thus transferring the load to the frame. It appears that is what Denis has done.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Toolbox_and_jacks.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	4305
jasoncarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 05:24 PM   #8

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Nice looking setup you have there, Denis. I'd thought about that route if/when the factory stabilizers go on our Scamp. Glad to know its feasible. FWIW, the Scamp came from just a ways up the road from you - Mackinaw City. It seems to be happy here in NC.

Also, I get up your way on business a few times each year and usually manage a meal or two at Mulligan's Pub across from the Art Center. If by any chance you're familiar with that watering hole, do you know the story behind all those playing cards stuck on the ceiling?

Al
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 08:02 PM   #9

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
Hi Denis, you would have to post that photo.....went to Princess Auto here in Winnipeg for something else, and now for $15.50 each, I picked up two of those tongue jacks on sale....now I have to add some square tubing onto my 13' Boler bumper so that I can swing the cranks.....too bad they weren`t side winders.....but if I stick them on the 17', all I have to do is just weld them on...hmmmmm! ......maybe should go back tomorrow and pick up 2 more......why can`t I just continue using stands.. ...just money pits....Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro