Burro air conditioner mod - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-10-2016, 07:55 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Name: George
Trailer: 85 Uhaul CT 13
North Carolina
Posts: 100
Darral T.
My unit is a 3 yr old, 5K unit. You are correct on the purpose of the splash system; however not mfg for enclosed use in camper. The unit is to be sealed with no drain hole; however without the wheel the water had no place to disperse so I drilled a 1/2 hole for water to drain.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
__________________

__________________
George Lauver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 07:59 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
Posts: 1,285
GE designed "Carry Cool" A/C's years ago (5K). I drilled a hole in that one too. I have it in my workshop and about 30 yrs later, it's still running perfectly! (Ran it last nite matter of fact.) Not trying to get "political", but thank our Gov. for some of these changes and I just read where they're going to be coming down on these small units even MORE in the near future! Good luck with your unit.

I wish the OP would respond to my question about the side louver vent mounted beside his A/C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Lauver View Post
Darral T.
My unit is a 3 yr old, 5K unit. You are correct on the purpose of the splash system; however not mfg for enclosed use in camper. The unit is to be sealed with no drain hole; however without the wheel the water had no place to disperse so I drilled a 1/2 hole for water to drain.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
__________________

__________________
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:30 AM   #17
Junior Member
 
Name: george
Trailer: 1998 burro 17'
Texas
Posts: 15
i am thinking its for an intake for the condenser which is why i would bring in outside air from a floor or side mounted external intake to be more efficient
__________________
george w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:36 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
Posts: 1,285
My thinking exactly George! Looks like this would GREATLY hamper the cooling ability internally...fighting against itself? I've seen others install an extra fan in the rear cooling dept to help circulate the hot air out of there which is precisely what I would do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by george w View Post
i am thinking its for an intake for the condenser which is why i would bring in outside air from a floor or side mounted external intake to be more efficient
__________________
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 02:58 PM   #19
Junior Member
 
Name: Mike
Trailer: Burro
Iowa
Posts: 14
The vent does indeed bring in air to the unit. Since the unit is enclosed I wanted to ensure it had enough air supply to run the unit. The hot exhaust air is vented completely outside the camper and is not allowed to recirculate. Yes there is recirculation of air but it is the cool not the hot air that re-enters the intake. Hopefully that keeps the efficiency in check. As far as the water this unit does not recirculate the water. It drains out a hose and eventually outside the camper.
__________________
Mtanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 03:18 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
Posts: 1,285
Thanks Mike and keep us posted on how it works if you can. This stuff is interesting to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtanner View Post
The vent does indeed bring in air to the unit. Since the unit is enclosed I wanted to ensure it had enough air supply to run the unit. The hot exhaust air is vented completely outside the camper and is not allowed to recirculate. Yes there is recirculation of air but it is the cool not the hot air that re-enters the intake. Hopefully that keeps the efficiency in check. As far as the water this unit does not recirculate the water. It drains out a hose and eventually outside the camper.
__________________
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 03:28 PM   #21
Junior Member
 
Name: Mike
Trailer: Burro
Iowa
Posts: 14
Will do. I can tell you it is about 95 with a heat index of 105. I turned it on and in about 15 minutes it was 78 and felt comfortable inside. I imagine when the sun goes down it will cool off more.
__________________
Mtanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 03:30 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
Posts: 1,285
That's super and PLENTY of cool for the day. I usually set my digi thermostat to 67-68 at night in my 13' Scamp. Sounds like you nailed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtanner View Post
Will do. I can tell you it is about 95 with a heat index of 105. I turned it on and in about 15 minutes it was 78 and felt comfortable inside. I imagine when the sun goes down it will cool off more.
__________________
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 05:31 PM   #23
Junior Member
 
Name: george
Trailer: 1998 burro 17'
Texas
Posts: 15
do you have the 13 or 17 ft burro? my 5000 but carry on a/c will not cool my 27ft sailboat down in july/august in galveston unless its turned on early in the morning and runs all day! the smaller a/c wound be an easier install by i worry about its ability to cool down a 17 wide body if i turn it on in the heat of the day, thus am contemplating an 8000btu unit to cool down quickly
__________________
george w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 06:39 PM   #24
Junior Member
 
Name: Mike
Trailer: Burro
Iowa
Posts: 14
In in iowa where it does get hot but if you are down south I'd try to use as big of airconditioner that can fit for the installation you choose.
__________________
Mtanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 07:49 PM   #25
Junior Member
 
Name: Bob
Trailer: Casita 16SD
Florida
Posts: 17
Good idea George. The location in my Casita was on floor at entrance and it did not do a good job of keeping the camper cool throughout. So, I decided to move it to the rear window. Not crazy about the look of it hanging out the back but it does cool the entire camper more evenly, it cycles less often and seems to be more efficient. Plus, it is much more accessible for replacement or maintenance. If I had removed the circle from the blades like you did I would not have had the problems I did.
__________________
What you allow is what will continue!
bb4029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 05:23 AM   #26
Senior Member
 
Name: George
Trailer: 85 Uhaul CT 13
North Carolina
Posts: 100
I had a 5K GE with a self evaporating pan under the front bench in my Uhaul and it worked great; my wife would complain it was too cold for her.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
__________________
George Lauver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:56 AM   #27
Senior Member
 
Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Posts: 215
Registry
Maybe even a larger vent

It would seem that installing an air intake vent to recirculate the inside camper air for cooling is much the same concept as the option in auto air conditioners that allow the driver to select to either draw in outside air, or recirculate inside air.

The manual for my Toyota pu says:

“For quick cooling, move the air intake selector to recirculate for a few minutes”

“”For best results, set controls to – Air intake – Fresh (outside air).

I have no idea what the difference is, but I leave mine on recirculate all the time.
__________________
Scamper Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:05 AM   #28
Senior Member
 
Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
Posts: 1,285
This you may know...but "Recirculate" does NOT bring in fresh air but simply uses what's in the vehicle. Obviously, the "fresh air" intake lets air in from the outside.

I personally DO NOT use "fresh air" especially here in Tennessee where it's hot/humid. It cools MUCH more quickly and continuously on "recirculate". I do this with ALL my vehicles. Notice that house units recirculate for the most part and you'll rarely see a unit that has the "fresh air" option.

In my opinion though, vehicle manufacturers may recommend that to cut down on the possibility of carbon monoxide poisoning- (bad/leaking exhaust system etc.). A mechanic just caught this on my '99 Nissan Frontier- a leak right underneath my cab! It's all been replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamper Jim View Post
It would seem that installing an air intake vent to recirculate the inside camper air for cooling is much the same concept as the option in auto air conditioners that allow the driver to select to either draw in outside air, or recirculate inside air.

The manual for my Toyota pu says:

“For quick cooling, move the air intake selector to recirculate for a few minutes”

“”For best results, set controls to – Air intake – Fresh (outside air).

I have no idea what the difference is, but I leave mine on recirculate all the time.
__________________

__________________
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
burro


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Air Conditioner for Burro joecf Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 3 04-05-2014 09:34 PM
Air Conditioner Louise Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 1 05-29-2006 10:01 PM
New Furnace ... and Air Conditioner ... Timmy G Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 6 02-24-2006 08:17 AM
Solar Air Conditioner Legacy Posts Modifications, Alterations and Updates 2 06-26-2003 02:35 PM
Mounting air conditioner Legacy Posts Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 9 04-16-2003 10:47 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.