Burro Ceiling Ideas - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2013, 08:36 PM   #1

Name: Elizabeth
Trailer: Burro
North Carolina
Burro Ceiling Ideas

We are redoing a 1981 Burro and would like to hear about alternatives for the ceiling "carpet". Does the original carpet serve any other purpose other than to hide the seam? Has anyone tried wood or anything else to "glamp" it some while keeping the original purpose of the carpet-whatever that was?? Thanks!
elilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:54 PM   #2

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
I'm thinkin tuck n roll turtles, argyle alligators, crystal stalactites and sound of water dripping into pool w/ echo on 8-track.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:07 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Yeppers.

Here's one: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post184869

and another: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ing-43122.html

and another: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post258063

and another: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ior-46625.html

that should keep you busy reading for a while.

BTW: to FiberglassRV Elizabeth, we're glad you're here
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:10 PM   #4

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Those are some impressive mods.........
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:03 PM   #5

Name: Gage
Trailer: 13' Burro
California
I’m doing mine with about ¼” foam installation and 1/8” birch ply that will match my cabinet doors.
gage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:35 AM   #6

North Carolina
Hmmm...I'm new to this group. Interesting, Jack. Did you grow up in the 70s?? I've always wondered if that era would have an effect on us as we got older....
Old 06-23-2013, 05:38 AM   #7

North Carolina
These are some great ideas! Thanks for the posts and welcome!
Old 06-23-2013, 06:26 AM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
That 8 Track didn't fool you did it. I think he has one of the largest collections east of the Mississippi.
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:37 AM   #9

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
I covered mine with 1/8 inch closed cell foam to which I'd spray-glued automotive headliner fabric. I did it in 5 or 6 square sections rather than an 11 foot long strip in order to minimize cost of the 60-inch wide foam and headliner (that is, I ordered 6 linear feet of both instead of 12 feet). I hot glued some upholstery ropey-stuff in the seams between to dress it up a bit.

It looks great. It is sagging. I haven't entirely figured out how to beat gravity.

While doing our body work, we did a strip of fiberglass resin down the middle of the inside ceiling seam to provide a smoother surface than the rough raw stuff. I used super-duty sticky-back velcro strips, but I'm finding they are separating from the ceiling - though the rest of it is sticking together okay. I have supplemented with both hot glue and OSI Quad. It's not actually falling-on-my-head sagging, but gapping in enough places to be annoying.
Attached Thumbnails
20120812 interior 1 rucio burro.jpg  
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:53 AM   #10

Delaware
I was pretty much finished growing up by 1970 which makes me contemporary with, if not older than, dirt, Liz.

jack
Old 06-23-2013, 01:09 PM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
This is a non-stressed area you can make uniquely your own. I'm referring to non-stress, as you're not sleeping on it, not walking on it and not cooking on it.

Now use your imagination, but how about fabric?

Click image for larger version

Name:	FabricCeiling.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	60890

Or, maybe pictures or postcards. Yes, I realize this is a wall, but it may work for your narrow ceiling portion.
Click image for larger version

Name:	PostcardWall.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	60891
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:13 PM   #12

NE Oklahoma
I had a '63 Fairlane that I custom installed a 4-track player
where the ash tray used to be. I cut it out with a hack saw.
I've never had the "nasties" habit.
Old 06-23-2013, 01:14 PM   #13

NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
This is a non-stressed area you can make uniquely your own. I'm referring to non-stress, as you're not sleeping on it, not walking on it and not cooking on it.

Now use your imagination, but how about fabric?

Attachment 60890

Or, maybe pictures or postcards. Yes, I realize this is a wall, but it may work for your narrow ceiling portion.
Attachment 60891
Those are come cool pics of cool ideas..........KEWL!
Old 06-23-2013, 04:18 PM   #14

Trailer: Bambi
83 Burro

My ceiling is in work. Prior to starting any of it I epoxied the center seam from front to back. When finished it will have 2 layers of foam centered reflective insulation with a grey textured vinyl covering as the finish layer. Went very neutral for maximum flexibility with other colors and wanted something that could be easily cleaned and would not hold odors. Ran wires for lights and fan that will come after the ceiling is finished. Currently have no 12 volt system, installing a converter.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC06102.JPG   DSC06104.JPG  

Jane D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:21 PM   #15

Birch Ply

Quote:
Originally Posted by gage View Post
I’m doing mine with about ¼” foam installation and 1/8” birch ply that will match my cabinet doors.
Gage,

How do you plan to attach the birch ply?? I had thought about something like that but didn't think it would stay up due to no real structure to attach it to and possibly too much weight. jd
Old 06-23-2013, 07:18 PM   #16

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Cover insullation with these maps of your state like this one. I think that would be so darn neat. Another option is to take US maps and cover with clear plastic or laminate and attach to the ceiling.
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:44 AM   #17

Droopy Ceiling Solution ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen b View Post
I covered mine with 1/8 inch closed cell foam to which I'd spray-glued automotive headliner fabric. It looks great. It is sagging. I haven't entirely figured out how to beat gravity.

I used super-duty sticky-back velcro strips, but I'm finding they are separating from the ceiling - though the rest of it is sticking together okay. I have supplemented with both hot glue and OSI Quad. It's not actually falling-on-my-head sagging, but gapping in enough places to be annoying.
Jen b. -- I may have finally found something that will work to adhere the self stick velcro to the headliner material. AFTER I used the same velcro, I saw your posting and sure enough the same thing started happening to my headliner. After several days of experimenting with who knows how many products, including the 3M Hi-strength 90 spray stuff, I saved the one that actually worked for last.

I did not want to use this type stuff since it had taken me more than a week, with a hammer and chisel, to get it off the ceiling as the PO went crazy with "Liquid Nails". This stuff is a little different than LN and since it was not going to have direct contact with the fiberglass, used it. The application conditions couldn't have been worse, temps in the 90s, storms with heavy rain every day, unreal humidity and all that. So far so good.

Evenly coat the area that the velcro goes onto the material but avoid side oozing as you will need to weight it down for about 24 hours for drying time to bond. I used long strips of wood and blocks to hold it down. No more edge puckering on the material and is still plenty flexible to make the curve in the ceiling. Might want to give it a test run on a scrap piece of your material. BTW, I did mine in 2 sections with them joining just beyond the roof vent area. This material I got is not as heavy as it may look plus I bonded a layer of reflective insulation on the back of it. Insulation doesn't go all way to the edges, left room for direct contact of the velco to the material.
The rear piece is in and the front area is going under the blocks today.

If you get this sealant and use only a small amount for a test run, tape up the end of the tube and store it in the freezer and it won't harden up keeping you from using again it later.

Hope this helps, jd
Attached Thumbnails
DSC06142.JPG   DSC06136.JPG  

DSC06141.JPG  
Old 06-30-2013, 12:08 PM   #18

Delaware
Another approach to Burro centerline trim hiding here: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...a-59256-2.html
This approach using wood blocking to receive screws thru the headliner is the approach used in the later Escondido Burros. Certainly worth a look.

jack
Old 06-30-2013, 12:47 PM   #19

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otters View Post
Cover insullation with these maps of your state like this one. I think that would be so darn neat. Another option is to take US maps and cover with clear plastic or laminate and attach to the ceiling.
Forgot to add the link
Coastal Decor North Carolina Outer Banks Road Map Shower Curtain 72" New | eBay
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:08 PM   #20

Wooden Blocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
Another approach to Burro centerline trim hiding here: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...a-59256-2.html
This approach using wood blocking to receive screws thru the headliner is the approach used in the later Escondido Burros. Certainly worth a look.

jack
Rabbit,
Thanks for that link, the ac would be wonderful right now !! As for the ceiling, I did add some blocks up top for help in attaching the ceiling and to use to mount lights since there are none. I've also been thinking about a center strip of some sort to just dress it up a bit.

My headliner problem was between the fabric and the velcro, getting them to stay together. The other side of the self stick velcro is placed on the body surface and is doing well. No sign of it trying to come loose. I think the heat up there has actually been good for it. Just have to wait to see long term results but if it does start opening up I have the fix.

Otter: You're gonna make me spend some more money! That shower curtain displays one of my favorite places on Earth, Outer Banks NC.

Thanks much for that link too... jd

Tags
burro