Burro headliner with LED strip - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2010, 01:21 AM   #1

Trailer: Burro 13 ft
Another quick update on my Burro overhaul. Tonight I installed a new headliner and LED lighting system. I made a quick template with Ramboard, (contractor floor protection) to check my measurements and used it as the template. the headliner material is old stock, ribbed vinyl that I mounted to Reflectix bubble insulation with contact cement and wrapped the edges over. After letting that assembly cure for a day i coated the reflectix and the fiberglass ceiling, let them dry and pressed them together. After trimming a few edges I was done.

Next I installed a 1/2" strip of warm LED lights that i purchased from ShineOnLED.com next to the headliner. i allowed about 3/4"-7/8" from the edge of the headliner and the step in the ceiling so the lights would sit in a natural channel, out of harms way. the LED strips come with VHB backed adhesive tape that you simply peel back and press on. I started from the front window where the power is supplied. when i reached the rear window, I cut the strip to length and it was done!

The results are pretty much exactly what i was going for: vintage details with modern technology. It's kinda like a padded disco. The LED's provide a nice, even, warm light throughout the trailer that leaves no dark corners and is way more efficient per a lumen than most lighting. I have one more strip that I'm going to put on the underside of the kitchen wall cabinets to illuminate the countertop.
Attached Thumbnails
headliner_1.jpg   headliner_2.jpg  

headliner_3.jpg   headliner_4.jpg  

kyle minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 05:47 AM   #2

Trailer: Play Pac ('Egg Krate')
That looks really nice. I had wondered about using one of those strips. Great idea.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:24 AM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
The results are pretty much exactly what i was going for: vintage details with modern technology. It's kinda like a padded disco.
Awesome!
Old 07-09-2010, 04:40 PM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul CT
Sweet. I like the look.

KarenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:49 PM   #5

I just got back home from installing the kitchen LED strip as well as the front window.

The kitchen LED's are mounted to a small aluminum angle that is bolted under the wall cabinet with one of the angle legs acting as a light block on the front edge. It lights the counter top very evenly and was intended to balance out the single sided LED strip on the opposite side of the headliner.

I still have a few loose ends in the pics below. Am going to trim the butyl tape around the window, cut and install a stainless steel backsplash to cover all the holes in the wall and install the cooktop. Let me know if you want help finding the LED strips.
Attached Thumbnails
kitchen_led_2.jpg   kichen_led_1.jpg  

ft_window_view.jpg  
Old 07-10-2010, 06:29 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Let me know if you want help finding the LED strips.
Yep!!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:56 AM   #7

I used adhesive backed, 1/2" wide x 16' long ribbon that can be cut to size and adhered to almost anything. The ribbon is available in several color options. Typically warm and cool, like flourescent. You can also get RGB, with a controller that can change the color to anything in the spectrum. there are also a wide variety of options as far as the diodes themselves that effect light and intensity (and cost). A couple of friends opened an LED design, fabrication and supply company recently and I've purchased everything from them. They have plenty of stock and are reasonably priced plus they are friendly and willing to help. They can be found at ShineOnLED.com. I hope that helps.Let me know if you have any more specific questions.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:39 AM   #8

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Quote:
I used adhesive backed, 1/2" wide x 16' long ribbon that can be cut to size and adhered to almost anything. The ribbon is available in several color options. Typically warm and cool, like flourescent. You can also get RGB, with a controller that can change the color to anything in the spectrum. there are also a wide variety of options as far as the diodes themselves that effect light and intensity (and cost). A couple of friends opened an LED design, fabrication and supply company recently and I've purchased everything from them. They have plenty of stock and are reasonably priced plus they are friendly and willing to help. They can be found at ShineOnLED.com. I hope that helps.Let me know if you have any more specific questions.
Looking very cool! What is the power draw on the ceiling strip you used? Is there any way to control the intensity?

Regards,

Matt
Old 07-12-2010, 12:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Looking very cool! What is the power draw on the ceiling strip you used? Is there any way to control the intensity?

Regards,

Matt
A 16' strip is 72 watts so whatever 11' works out. Dimming is not the same as halogen and has proven to be a hassle on some of my residential jobs. I don't have a good solution except to use RGB lights with a controller that has a dimming feature. these are more expensive than straight warm lights and not quite as bright. I hope t o have a solution soon to lower battery consumption.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:34 PM   #10

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Quote:
A 16' strip is 72 watts so whatever 11' works out. Dimming is not the same as halogen and has proven to be a hassle on some of my residential jobs. I don't have a good solution except to use RGB lights with a controller that has a dimming feature. these are more expensive than straight warm lights and not quite as bright. I hope t o have a solution soon to lower battery consumption.
It looks VERY cool, but that is ~50 watts 72*(11/16). Not much more consumption than my two 18w fluorescents, but I imagine you are getting a LOT more light out of them. Maybe more than you really require?

I was thinking that you could use some kind of pulse width modulation to vary the intensity of the LEDs by turning them on and off at high frequency. I a products that claims to do this. I am not sure about the efficiency, but the PDF spec sheet says it can handle 72 watts at 12V.

PWM Controller - Pulse Width Modulator - Buck & Boost - Dims LED lights - 135Hz

This Pulse Width Modulator Controller is designed to dim any and all LED lights to 6 amps. Basically, this a voltage regulator for LED lights drawing 6 amps or less. PWM controllers are CPU controlled, digital alternatives to resistance based rheostats. This PWM controller has a rotating switch that enables the operator to control the brightness of the LED light. Thus, many operators will use this as a "dimmer" switch
http://www.magnalight.com/showproduc...roductid=46756

Regards,

Matt
Old 07-12-2010, 04:42 PM   #11

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
PWM is the way to go to dim these type of LEDs - If they are like most of the LED strip units I've seen, they are designed to operate over a fairly wide range of voltage & because they have voltage regulation built into them, standard dimming doesn't work. One thing to watch for - some PWM & even some of the voltage regulated LEDs will create RFI (Radio Frequency Interference) particularly at AM frequencies, making your radio buzz.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro, led lights, lighting