Burro interior - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-04-2011, 06:54 AM   #15

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Burro
Wow, what a nice updated look. Your Burro is so fresh looking. I love the wood look and that is a future plan for our Burro. I just did not think of the bamboo- what a nice coordinated interior. Hmmm, certainly food for thought. I see you also updated the lighting. Really a very super interior- kudos.

Old 06-05-2011, 03:22 PM   #16

Name: mike
Trailer: Burro
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penney H. & Mike E. View Post
What a beautiful job! Makes me wish we had our little ole Burro and back and could do some of the same. I love the bamboo, that carpeting never appealed to me. You have created a truly beautiful little trailer, warm, cozy, very natural and classy looking.

What year is your Burro? Sigh......I do miss ours. The Escape is great, but Burros are just so dang cute and I love the double wall.

Congratulations on all your work - now you can relax and enjoy!

Penney
Mine is a 1980

Lol ! Now i need to get to work on the exterior so I can take it camping this summer!

Old 06-07-2011, 08:44 PM   #17

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
I have a similar treatment to my header area. Originally, I wanted to use oak tambour (like the rollup desks have) but the cost was rediculous (200$). So instead, I bought some some grasscloth rollup shades, cut them to fit with scissors, and spray-glued them to the bubble insulation, then glued that to the header area. I don't have woodworking skills, so will just hot-glue up some leather trim that I bought. Mike, the wood looks great!!
Old 06-08-2011, 10:19 AM   #18

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
I have a similar treatment to my header area. Originally, I wanted to use oak tambour (like the rollup desks have) but the cost was rediculous (200$). So instead, I bought some some grasscloth rollup shades, cut them to fit with scissors, and spray-glued them to the bubble insulation, then glued that to the header area. I don't have woodworking skills, so will just hot-glue up some leather trim that I bought. Mike, the wood looks great!!
That sounds nice,I would like to see pictures of that! My idea came from thatched roofs, we would backfill the interior side with water reeds for a natural ceiling treatment.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:25 AM   #19

Name: Doc
Trailer: TrailsWest CAMPSTER 1970
Washington
Better than 'nice' new interior Mike......
I'd like to see a close up of the stereo
cabinet.
Doc the boonDOCer
Old 06-09-2011, 11:00 AM   #20

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by campfrugal View Post
Better than 'nice' new interior Mike......
I'd like to see a close up of the stereo
cabinet.
Doc the boonDOCer
Thanks!

Most of it is assembled from various scavenged parts. I added two 12v outlets and a aux. port for the ipod.There is a remote to make radio control easier when the bed is laid out.
The rear part of the dinnette was cut out and the benches reinforced with aluminum.
Attached Thumbnails
CIMG2541.JPG  
Old 06-12-2011, 03:00 AM   #21

Trailer: Burro 13 ft 1983
Additional door lock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike... View Post
Hi all !

Ive enjoyed looking through the posts at pictures of others mods and progress, so i thought I would share some from my recent Burro redo...
I wanted to stay away from carpet so I used alot of bamboo instead.
future plans include a icebox or fridge and maybe a small front dinette.
Mike,
I note in the photo of the door that you have what appears to be an additional door lock unit on the door, just above the original door latch. I'd be interested to hear/see what it is. It seems that most fiberglass trailer door latches do not support the door when latched. The bouncing of a trailer in motion puts much strain on the door hinges and supports and I assume is the cause for much door sagging. I find that in different temperatures the door and shell of the trailer expand and contracts enough that the door latch position varies by almost half an inch. Therefore with our trailer, an 83 Burro, I wouldn't want to use a latch that supports the door in precisely one position of hight. I'd like to come up with a latch that allows some up and down movement of the door that would include bumper springs that would restrict its travel.

Thanks for any thoughts you have on this, James
Old 06-12-2011, 04:15 PM   #22

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bar. View Post
Mike,
I note in the photo of the door that you have what appears to be an additional door lock unit on the door, just above the original door latch. I'd be interested to hear/see what it is. It seems that most fiberglass trailer door latches do not support the door when latched. The bouncing of a trailer in motion puts much strain on the door hinges and supports and I assume is the cause for much door sagging. I find that in different temperatures the door and shell of the trailer expand and contracts enough that the door latch position varies by almost half an inch. Therefore with our trailer, an 83 Burro, I wouldn't want to use a latch that supports the door in precisely one position of hight. I'd like to come up with a latch that allows some up and down movement of the door that would include bumper springs that would restrict its travel.

Thanks for any thoughts you have on this, James
Hi James,

The lock you see is a surface mount lock I bought at HomeDepot. I was able to get a piece of wood inside the door shell for extra support behind it. It looks like there is about 1/4 inch of room for up and down movement in the latch housing (you could file it out a bit if more room was needed). I installed it in November and havn't had any trouble with fitment yet. I also reinforced the hinge area by drilling holes and injecting epoxy.
One of these days i'll get around to having keys made for the original lock!
Old 06-12-2011, 05:03 PM   #23

Name: theresa
Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
New Brunswick
Registry
hi mike---LOVE LOVE LOVE your bamboo look!!! and i especially like how you have opened up the cubbies under the table/bed for easier storage access. great job!!
Old 06-29-2011, 08:44 PM   #24

Name: Jeff & Sonya
Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike... View Post
That sounds nice,I would like to see pictures of that! My idea came from thatched roofs, we would backfill the interior side with water reeds for a natural ceiling treatment.
Mike, I am wondering how you did the interior walls? I am looking for an alternative to the foam and ensolite lining in my Scamp. Are your walls insulated?
Old 05-23-2012, 09:19 PM   #25

Name: jen
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003
Georgia
Thanks. I wonder why he glued reflectix first. Is that because bamboo lets air through? It sounds like it's not that hard but...I might screw it up...hmmmm.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:36 AM   #26

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
The reflectix would be a chance to add a bit of insulation where the fiberglass is not doubled-up.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:25 AM   #27

Name: Jane and Greg
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul CT
South Carolina
Mike - love the bamboo. Is it on the ceiling too? I want to replace old ceiling carpet in our UHaul. Did it come in a roll? How did you attach it? Any other folks out there with replacement ideas for my "ceiling"?
Old 05-24-2012, 12:00 PM   #28

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane SC View Post
Mike - love the bamboo. Is it on the ceiling too? I want to replace old ceiling carpet in our UHaul. Did it come in a roll? How did you attach it? Any other folks out there with replacement ideas for my "ceiling"?
Jane, Mike put up another post with details on his bamboo ceiling. It can be found here

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro