Burro Repainted - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2010, 05:11 PM   #21

Trailer: Trail Lite Class B Motorhome
Good question.
Rush P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:27 PM   #22

Trailer: 13 ft Burro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Johans View Post
Where'd you get those cool METAL flanged utility ports?
Robert, Rush,

Glad you like them.

The 30 amp electrical shore connection is a marine connection I got it off the internet, they can be kinda pricey but I found one for about 60 dollars I wanted a shore connection and the plastic ones seem to yellow and deteriorate, plus I wanted a nice look.

Marinco 303SSEL-B Power Inlet Stainless Steel 30A 125V: eBay Motors (item 300451945196 end time Aug-31-10 20:58:31 PDT)

The other is my drain hose line, I made that myself using a chrome plated fitting that goes in like a shower head pipe where it comes out of the wall and a brass male garden hose barb with a brass cap cost about 2-3 bucks total.

I so wanted a chrome gravity fill ( ashtray) like the old retro trailers but couldnt find a source and I didnt like the idea of some idiot using it as an ashtray so I went with the locking hatch which contains both the gravity fill and the city hookup fitting.

Scott
Scott B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:12 PM   #23
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott B. View Post

The other is my drain hose line, I made that myself using a chrome plated fitting that goes in like a shower head pipe where it comes out of the wall and a brass male garden hose barb with a brass cap cost about 2-3 bucks total.
Love that! Thinking outside the box.
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:56 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Johans View Post
Love that! Thinking outside the box.
Thanks Robert, I have seen your work and it is simply amazing, I wish I was a tenth as talented.

Yeah I like something unique and different. I am using a 1949-1950 CHEVY LED COMPLETE ASSEMBLY for the porch light I removed the little round red reflector and little round clear reflector and then added a LED light behind it, so the big red LED works on bright or dim via 2 switches and the little white light is on another switch.

I wanted to be able to have a porch light that I could see to work with so the white light is for that and then the red one is for ambience.....ok sitting outside drinking beer while not shining a bright white light into the next campsite.

The curve matched the curve of the burro so it will fit niceley beside the door. Oh and another thing it allowed me to put just four small holes 3 for the bolts and one for the wires.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:28 PM   #25
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
Fabulous! From what I can see you got it going on big time! Totally cool solutions... Can't wait to see more.
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 04:21 PM   #26

Trailer: Burro
Awesome!

Quote:
Hello all,

They finished my painted burro today and it looks good to me, Here is a couple quick pics I will post more later today.

Scott
Dave Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:39 PM   #27

Quote:
Thanks Robert, I have seen your work and it is simply amazing, I wish I was a tenth as talented.

Yeah I like something unique and different. I am using a 1949-1950 CHEVY LED COMPLETE ASSEMBLY for the porch light I removed the little round red reflector and little round clear reflector and then added a LED light behind it, so the big red LED works on bright or dim via 2 switches and the little white light is on another switch.

I wanted to be able to have a porch light that I could see to work with so the white light is for that and then the red one is for ambience.....ok sitting outside drinking beer while not shining a bright white light into the next campsite.

The curve matched the curve of the burro so it will fit niceley beside the door. Oh and another thing it allowed me to put just four small holes 3 for the bolts and one for the wires.

And here it is installed, once I get it wired I will try and show it lit up.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0228.jpg  
Old 08-10-2010, 09:45 PM   #28

Trailer: 2008 Scamp 16 ft Custom Deluxe Deluxe Side Dinette
Registry
Lookin pretty good Scott. Hurry and get her done so we can go to the Ohio fall Gathering. LOL
Mark Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:48 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Shaffer View Post
Lookin pretty good Scott. Hurry and get her done so we can go to the Ohio fall Gathering. LOL

Well it will be done enough either way, it's coming out party is planned for the week before the Ohio gathering at the EggFest in La Crosse, the interior will probably still be a work in progress, but it WILL be ready to roll!
Old 08-12-2010, 11:53 AM   #30

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot
Another WOW! It is beautiful. I like the black around the windows and the idea of painting the inside of the door is great. Show us more photos when you are finished.
Charlene Urso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:06 PM   #31

Thanks Charlene,

It is unsufferably hot here this week so not alot it getting done I have retreated to the basement and framed up a work out room and a Kitchen.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:22 PM   #32

Well today I finally managed to cut the rear bumper on a 48' Ford off it was under a pile of pine tree limbs and settled into the dirt, but I got it, it looks in pretty straight shape tho it needs to be rechromed to look good enough for the burro!

I liked it cause the curve of the bumper is the same as the curve of the burro I will leave the section between the frame rails of the original bumper for additional protection from a rear end collision and fabricate new brackets to support the new bumper.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0349.jpg   IMG_0350.jpg  

Old 08-13-2010, 11:49 PM   #33

Registry
I like it. Did you check for availability on an aftermarket bumper? With all of the reproduction of classic car parts, you may be able to find a new bumper cheaper than having that one re-chromed. Just a thought. Either way, it will definately look good. When you get that installed, you are going to need the eye brow tail lights.
I am taking the day off on the Burro-stream tomorrow. I just bought a 30' toy hauler tonight and need to do a few things to that to get it ready for the next couple of weeks. I have a couple of weekend trips planned and need it to be 100% before I hit the road with it.

Mark
Old 08-14-2010, 07:12 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Shaffer View Post
I like it. Did you check for availability on an aftermarket bumper? With all of the reproduction of classic car parts, you may be able to find a new bumper cheaper than having that one re-chromed. Just a thought. Either way, it will definately look good. When you get that installed, you are going to need the eye brow tail lights.
I am taking the day off on the Burro-stream tomorrow. I just bought a 30' toy hauler tonight and need to do a few things to that to get it ready for the next couple of weeks. I have a couple of weekend trips planned and need it to be 100% before I hit the road with it.

Mark

Yeah, I looked and found one for $750 one place, but it had a ford emblem in the center on it and I didnt want that, my painter says he can get it re chromed for a couple hundred dollars and I got it for free so we will see.

I like the eyebrow lights but they are too small for the 59 ford fairlane bullet taillights I want to use, I need to find some kind of chrome bezel ring to go around these taillights tho and have not been able to locate anything that will fit the original fairlane had a huge "hubcap" looking bezel that is too big for the back of the burro so would like just a chrome ring to go around the taillight.

The size is 5-5/8" or 6-3/8" as i could go around the flange so if you have any ideas I desperatley could use some help I have looked at alot of bezels.

I dont want to give up on these taillights I love the bullet look and that is what got me started on this project LOL!
Attached Thumbnails
59_taillights.jpg  
Old 08-14-2010, 08:10 AM   #35

Trailer: 1980 (Circa) 13 ft Scamp (A WORK IN PROGRESS)
Registry
Bezel

May have found one bezel for you....

Quality original used parts for restoration of Ford Galaxie Fairlane Falcon Torino* LTD Mercury Comet* Marquis Meteor

Fifth row down.

Frank

Quote:
Yeah, I looked and found one for $750 one place, but it had a ford emblem in the center on it and I didnt want that, my painter says he can get it re chromed for a couple hundred dollars and I got it for free so we will see.

I like the eyebrow lights but they are too small for the 59 ford fairlane bullet taillights I want to use, I need to find some kind of chrome bezel ring to go around these taillights tho and have not been able to locate anything that will fit the original fairlane had a huge "hubcap" looking bezel

The size is 5-5/8" or 6-3/8" as i could go around the flange so if you have any ideas I desperatley could use some help I have looked at alot of bezels.

I dont want to give up on these taillights I love the bullet look and that is what got me started on this project LOL!
FRANK MOLIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 08:18 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANK MOLIS View Post

Thanks Frank, The originals are too big for the back of the Burro camper, so I need to find just a chrome ring, but thanks for looking I appreciate it.

Scott
Old 08-14-2010, 08:22 AM   #37

Trailer: 1980 (Circa) 13 ft Scamp (A WORK IN PROGRESS)
Registry
No problem....Sorry, I now see that you had already said that in your post.

Quote:
Thanks Frank, The originals are too big for the back of the Burro camper, so I need to find just a chrome ring, but thanks for looking I appreciate it.

Scott
FRANK MOLIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 04:52 PM   #38

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Cost to repaint?

Hey Scott and Mark Shaffer, When I finally purchase a Casita Patriot (13') I will want to repaint it gray to match my minivan (and maybe somebody will mistake it for an Airstream Bambi!).
Could you please tell me how much it costs to repaint a 13' foot? Thanks! Gayle
gayle maria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 05:54 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayle maria View Post
Hey Scott and Mark Shaffer, When I finally purchase a Casita Patriot (13') I will want to repaint it gray to match my minivan (and maybe somebody will mistake it for an Airstream Bambi!).
Could you please tell me how much it costs to repaint a 13' foot? Thanks! Gayle

Gayle,

Very Subjective answer as depends on who does it, how much prep work to do, whether the painters want to even do it, as many jack up the quote to make you go somewhere else.

But figure 600 for the supplies and then the labor, I would assume 1500-3000 as a general number.

Mark painted his himself, (because unlike me he is talented like that) so he had the material cost and his time.

Many people on here have Painted them themselves and gotten a great result, (again that talent thing, hate that) I may try it on one of the other 2 campers I have as not much I could do would make them look worse LOL!

Hope this helps!

Scott
Old 08-15-2010, 06:15 PM   #40

Registry
Gayle, it depends on how much you want to do yourself. If you strip down the windows and decals and have everything ready to do any body prep and paint, it may be the lower figure Scott listed above. If you tow a fully assembled Casita into a body shop for paint, I would think it would be higher than Scotts $3000.00 price above. Most body shops steer away from anything other than cars and insurance work. Thats where they make their easy money. They have a book that tells them how many hours to repair or replace a fender, how many hours to prep and paint and how much time to reassemble. They base their quote on materials anticipated being used(listed in books), and the total hours time the book tells them it will take. They get the job and anything less on time and materials is a bigger profit. NOW, your Casita rolls into their shop for an estimate, they are shooting blind. The only thing that they know is that they want to make money and it will have to be worth their time to take on the job, so they shoot you a high estimate and HOPE that you go somewhere else. I have a friend that has a body shop and he did a fiberglass repair and a repaint on a 2007 Scamp 18 deluxe for me a few years ago. Now remember, we are friends, He charged me $1200.00 to fix the crack and paint the area on the curb side that was just blended into the factory gel coat, not an all over paint job. After he finished the Scamp he hasn't wanted to take any more fiberglass camper jobs from me. He paints all of my cars and trucks for me, but no more campers. I painted my Burro myself with the help of my friend, and if we had to charge for time plus my material cost of around $600.00, the camper would have been an easy $2500-$3000.00. Most body shops charge a labor rate of around $65.00 an hour or more. 4 days work with a typical 8 hour day would cost $2100.00 in just labor at $65.00 an hour. That is just one employee working on it.

Mark

Tags
burro