Burro roof a/c - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-09-2007, 02:46 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Has anyone installed a 100 lbs or less roof a/c on a 13ft Burro? I need a/c and have read every post I can find on adding a/c. I was thinking I might be able to build a support frame inside out of 1" tubing with a cradle on top of it to actually support the unit. It would be attached to the floor and run up the walls with 3 maybe 4 "legs". However if the roof will support it on it's own I'll just go with that. Looking for someone who has actually tried this and/or thoughts.

Mike

Old 05-09-2007, 03:44 PM   #2

Name: Pete
Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Tennessee
I think I remember someone doing it but it may have been on a 17' or a U-haul.

My roof has a sag at the vent area so I wouldn't even think of it.
However I did remove the frig and mount a air conditioner in there, used the refer vents for intake and exhaust vents and even gained a 6" high storage area over the air cond.
Good to store that frying pan and stuff you just can't find a home for.

Old 05-09-2007, 03:45 PM   #3

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 28' Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Oak Park, IL
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Quote:
Has anyone installed a 100 lbs or less roof a/c on a 13ft Burro? I need a/c and have read every post I can find on adding a/c. I was thinking I might be able to build a support frame inside out of 1" tubing with a cradle on top of it to actually support the unit. It would be attached to the floor and run up the walls with 3 maybe 4 "legs". However if the roof will support it on it's own I'll just go with that. Looking for someone who has actually tried this and/or thoughts.

Mike
We ended up putting a window unit AC through our back wall of the Burro because the ceiling was already sagging when we bought the trailer. We didn't want to add more weight to it. I never really looked into doing the reinforcements you mention. Perhaps this has been done by someone else.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:51 PM   #4

Name: Thomas
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
California
I made an external frame to support my roof and hold gear.
After several years of observing the behavior I wouldn't recommend it for holding any significant weight. I'm going to suspect that you will need to add internal support somehow. Might I suggest what may appear a stupid but simple approach?
Maybe you could make a couple of legs that support the roof as poles or piers on the inside that remain in place for the 90% of the time you don't use the trailer.
Then during the time of use you remove the posts leaving your AC unsupported for those short times. Maybe the posts should be in place while in transit. The could be made to not move or shift.

Stupid, isn't it?
Old 05-13-2007, 04:38 AM   #5

Name: Gerry
Trailer: Boler 13 ft / 31 ft Holiday Rambler
Maine
Mike I have a 1980, 13ft Boler and I have a Colman 1200 (about 100 lbs)on the roof with no extra support system.
I did not install it and the trailer came from FL and is now in Maine so it has been on the trailer with no ill effects for many miles.
There is little sag in roof, and while inquireing about tradeing the 1200 in for a 700 series. but people at RV dealership said the weight differance would be only 4lbs and after inspecting roof of Boler they said there is no problem or stress cracks and as long as there are no leaks where water sits around seal there is no problem.
They also stated that any trailer built in Canada or U.S built after the early 70's had to be built strong enough to hanlde an AC unit on roof.
Don't know if it is true or not but mine is doing just fine.
Gerry the canoebuilder
Old 05-25-2007, 12:32 AM   #6

Trailer: 1976 13 ft Scamp / 2006 Honda Element
Still looking for my trailer.

I'm interested in this suggestion that any trailer built relatively recently should support a roof AC unit... any other comments on this?

How about the 90 and later Scamps... the factory has been putting roof mounted units on... are these specially reinforced? Or theoretically, could I put one of these Coleman units up there, on any newer trailer?

Quote:
Mike I have a 1980, 13ft Boler and I have a Colman 1200 (about 100 lbs)on the roof with no extra support system.
I did not install it and the trailer came from FL and is now in Maine so it has been on the trailer with no ill effects for many miles.
There is little sag in roof, and while inquireing about tradeing the 1200 in for a 700 series. but people at RV dealership said the weight differance would be only 4lbs and after inspecting roof of Boler they said there is no problem or stress cracks and as long as there are no leaks where water sits around seal there is no problem.
They also stated that any trailer built in Canada or U.S built after the early 70's had to be built strong enough to hanlde an AC unit on roof.
Don't know if it is true or not but mine is doing just fine.
Gerry the canoebuilder
Old 05-25-2007, 02:28 PM   #7

Trailer: 1976 13 ft Scamp / 2006 Honda Element
I talked to Scamp today... their tech fellow said that only Scamp's built in the past 2 years (perhaps since their new facility was built?) would support rooftop AC, unless specifically built to support it. Bummer. I'm not exciting about trying to do a closet AC and even less thrilled about a window AC conversion.
Old 05-25-2007, 04:42 PM   #8

Trailer: 1972 Burro
My Burro came with an AC that was put in the front storage unit under the goucho. It is vented to the outside and looks very neat.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:43 PM   #9

Name: Jim
Trailer: 76 13 ft Scamp (fits in my Garage...Yeah)
California
My Burro had an AC unit installed from the factory...its on the side..used one of the windows'
on the opposite side of the kitchenette....It works ok.....takes awhile to get cool...but will maintain in the 60's on 100 degree days... my unit also came with the window if I want to switch it out...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0095.JPG   IMG_0040.JPG  

Old 06-03-2007, 10:46 PM   #10

Name: Jim
Trailer: 76 13 ft Scamp (fits in my Garage...Yeah)
California
Regarding the roof....There is no way an AC unit will go up there...I put a fantastic Fan in this weekend and almost buckled the roof leaning over to saw the opening larger...it bounced back out....scared the S out of me...

Jim
Old 06-04-2007, 09:15 AM   #11

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
This is a myth and anyone that believes it and installs an A/C without throughly checking the viability of such on the roof of their molded lightweight fiberglass RV, may have a roof suffer serious consequences. Before hacking a hole in a roof of my trailer, I'd find out what the weight of the intended A/C would be, put a like amount of weight on the roof (a bit at a time) and see what happens. Life should be lived with no regrets and adding more weight than the roof can safely hold may be a big one!

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro