Burro seam up the middle - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-31-2016, 09:14 AM   #15

Name: Duane
Trailer: 1978 Burro
Michigan
Burro seam up middle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Johnson View Post
the short of it is it was a $ savings to (even slowly) mass produce to not have a seam due to mold and gell coat issues to fix after the fg mold
On a remodel fix up( before putting 7K miles on it on our trip out west) I cut off and ground down the seam, used fg EPOXY RESIN with 1/4 in chop strand mixed in finished smooth with Bono and tip brushed white Rustolium on top of Bens Bonding Primer (very important according to the tech at Rustolium). Strength is already there with the fiberglass mat used by the manufacturer on the inside..
RESULTS: after seven thousand miles not even a spider web crack.I can post pics if your interested
Oh yeah, I'd like to see photos of your project.

Is this what you used when you mixed in the "chop strand" in the fg resin?

1/4 Chopped Glass Fibers in stock for same day shipping | Fibre Glast

Now I have another alternative to consider with your method.

I have been considering adding tint to the resin too in case I don't get a chance to finish the job before heading out this winter. I haven't found any real good information on the web though yet.

Thanks for the info. Next summer I'll tackle the ridge.

Old 09-01-2016, 12:31 AM   #16

Name: K C
Trailer: 1980 18' Sunrader Motorhome and 1971 Trails West CampMite Campster
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Johnson View Post
the short of it is it was a $ savings to (even slowly) mass produce to not have a seam due to mold and gell coat issues to fix after the fg mold
On a remodel fix up( before putting 7K miles on it on our trip out west) I cut off and ground down the seam, used fg EPOXY RESIN with 1/4 in chop strand mixed in finished smooth with Bono and tip brushed white Rustolium on top of Bens Bonding Primer (very important according to the tech at Rustolium). Strength is already there with the fiberglass mat used by the manufacturer on the inside..
RESULTS: after seven thousand miles not even a spider web crack.I can post pics if your interested
You stated it as "Bens Bonding Primer" I believe may have meant "B-I-N Bonding Primer". Just want to make sure of the spelling so if people go looking for it they can find the primer you used. BIN is produced by Zinsser products. Rustoleum now owns that product line so it makes sense that they would recommend its use with their other products. But as there are several variations of B-I-N primer can you be specific about exactly which one you used? I would suspect it is the original shellac formula which can be used indoors or outdoors versus the synthetic shellac formula.

BIN is one of my favorite primers. I see that they now also have a mold killing primer under that product line name of BIN.

Old 09-05-2016, 11:43 AM   #17

Name: Brian
Trailer: Burro
Iowa
Seam in burro

The lip on burro seam actually was only to be able to clamp it all together. I put lots of these together in the factory. The inside laminated seam is what seals it all. Thanks Brian
Old 09-05-2016, 09:00 PM   #18

Name: Eric and Sharon
Ohio
Registry
Haircut on Burro?....yes!

The correct Primer to use is an oil based one that is also tintable. The primer is ZINSSER 3554 called COVER STAIN stain blocker bond coat. The 1/4 in chop strand and Epoxy Resin came from Fiber Glast co. Love Fiber Glast for their friendly help. Ill post pics as soon as I can.
Old 09-06-2016, 06:36 PM   #19

Name: Eric and Sharon
Ohio
Registry
Burro seam removal

a few pics of seam removal after fiber g work , prime and tip brush paint. I plan to put on a two tone paint with a stripe addition but want to try my H.V.L.P. paint sprayer and a clear coat next.

sorry if pic doesn't show up...still trying

Tags
burro