Bus Depot awning - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2010, 05:34 AM   #1

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Does anyone have experience with this awning? It looks like it might work for lots of trailers that came without an awning. Between the strap attachment and the suction cup attachment it will fit almost anything.

http://busdepot.com/details/awning.jsp
Old 07-11-2010, 06:12 AM   #2

Trailer: 1985 Companion
Registry
I have one. I use it all the time. I usually use the suction cups but I did order extra legs and have used it that way too. It is very lightweight and one person can put it up.

Karen K.
Karen K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:46 AM   #3

Trailer: 1975 Boler 1300
Hi Karen - do you use this on a trailer?
and, I have a mosquito net; and some tarps; wonder if the frame is sturdy enough to accommodate a tarp on one side, to keep rain out?? What do you think?
Thanks for telling us about this - it may be just the thing for me, and my 13 foot Boler.
KarenH

Quote:
I have one. I use it all the time. I usually use the suction cups but I did order extra legs and have used it that way too. It is very lightweight and one person can put it up.

Karen K.
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:04 AM   #4

Trailer: 1985 Companion
Registry
I don't know if you could use a tarp on one side or not. Depends on how windy it is. Here is a picture of it on my camper.

Attached Thumbnails
awning.jpg  
Karen K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:44 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I purchased a 10 X10 dining canopy from Dicks Sporting Goods for about $20 during an end of season clearance. Wally World has a 9X9 dining canopy for $29.95 that looks kind of like the one I used.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-9-x-...Canopy/10993394
The key is that the dome is supported by fiberglass rods. My 16 Scamp once had a roll up awning which had been removed by a PO. The PO had reinstalled and sealed the awning bolts. I replace one bolt on each end with a stainless eye bolt and they ended up being 10 ft. apart. Perfect for attaching two sides of the awning. The other side I either use poles and tent spikes or run tie strings to nearby trees. The canopy stores in a 4"x4"x36" bag and weighs only a few lbs.
Cheap and light.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:10 AM   #6

Trailer: 2004 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe and 2001 13 ft Casita Patriot Deluxe
So you already have a factory installed awning .....

Ever been camping in a site that had no shade and the sun was beating on the side without the factory awning ?

This looks like a great solution to shade the other side !

1969 25' Airstream Trade Wind (Modified)
Glen G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 04:56 PM   #7

Hi Eddie - do you think yours would support a tarp on one or more sides?
thanks
KarenH

Quote:
I purchased a 10 X10 dining canopy from Dicks Sporting Goods for about $20 during an end of season clearance. Wally World has a 9X9 dining canopy for $29.95 that looks kind of like the one I used.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-9-x-...Canopy/10993394
The key is that the dome is supported by fiberglass rods. My 16 Scamp once had a roll up awning which had been removed by a PO. The PO had reinstalled and sealed the awning bolts. I replace one bolt on each end with a stainless eye bolt and they ended up being 10 ft. apart. Perfect for attaching two sides of the awning. The other side I either use poles and tent spikes or run tie strings to nearby trees. The canopy stores in a 4"x4"x36" bag and weighs only a few lbs.
Cheap and light.
Eddie
Old 07-11-2010, 07:19 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Quote:
Hi Eddie - do you think yours would support a tarp on one or more sides?
thanks
KarenH
The only support for the canopy is two small fiberglass rods running from the opposite corners of the canopy. Without the poles it's like an big umbrella without a handle. If your two tent poles are securely staked on two sides and your tarp goes from pole to pole or camper to a pole you may be able to hang a lightweight poly tarp for shade but if it were windy like at the beach I don't think it would support it.
The canopy works great for shade and keeping the dew off your stuff stashed outside at night. I have used the canopy when it was windy but I tied the outside corners to two near by trees. BTW I carry a 5' collapsible step ladder when camping to deal any awning issues.
Eddie

Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 07:24 PM   #9

Thanks for the info Eddie. I'll keep looking, and in the mean time, use my tarps and mosquito netting with bungee cords and rope and see what I can do!
KarenH

Quote:
The only support for the canopy is two small fiberglass rods running from the opposite corners of the canopy. Without the poles it's like an big umbrella without a handle. If your two tent poles are securely staked on two sides and your tarp goes from pole to pole or camper to a pole you may be able to hang a lightweight poly tarp for shade but if it were windy like at the beach I don't think it would support it.
The canopy works great for shade and keeping the dew off your stuff stashed outside at night. I have used the canopy when it was windy but I tied the outside corners to two near by trees. BTW I carry a 5' collapsible step ladder when camping to deal any awning issues.
Eddie

Tags
awning