Bus Depot awning - weather tested - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2015, 08:39 PM   #1

Trailer: Boler
Bus Depot awning - weather tested

I tried out my new 10' x 8' Bus Depot awning ($149) on this past weekends rain fest near Asheville. 4 days of wind and rain and it did remarkably well. I had to modify the gutter clamps to fit in the bulb track but the awning survived the weekend when numerous free standing awnings were killed.

Best part is that it packs up into two small bags (one for poles and the other for fabric) about the size of a two man backpacking tent. Velcro on sides are available for about $35 each.
Jack Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:29 AM   #2

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
Sounds like our experience with Bus Depot awning. We had it up over a blustery weekend at the coast. By Sunday afternoon the dumpster was full of. EZ-UP awnings but our Bus Depot awning was fine.
The only drawback we have seen is that assembly is sort of an intelligence test!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:49 AM   #3

Name: kevin
Trailer: Miti-Lite
Washington
Thanks for post

Thanks for the info. I was wondering how they held up. Great news.
kevin57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 11:23 AM   #4

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I wonder how to attach your awning to a 13' Scamp as we do not have a continuous gutter on the top. Any suggestions, anyone?
Attached Thumbnails
Lodi Wine Tasting July 2015 046.jpg  
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 07:23 PM   #5

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
You can get a suction cup attachment. We got one but so far have just used it with four legs and tied it to our pop up or used it over the picnic table.
We ought to use it more often because there is "some assembly required"!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 05:48 AM   #6

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
i've used a bus depot awning for 6 or 7 years. the small one fit my casita patriot like the proverbial glove. after moving up to a 16er i got the larger awning. yes, it is a bit of a chore to deploy as i travel solo, but i'm not in a hurry. i have the suction cup option and have found that they work well if i clean the fiberglass with alcohol where the suction cups attach. i also use and can recommend a product "suck a lot" (an unfortunate name that i didn't make up). i suspect this is a glycerin based solution. it also works well for keeping your gps attached. i purchase it from amazon. for added security from wind i sometimes use the provided cords around the ends of the trailer and stout tent pegs. it's a great awning and you can't beat the price.

p@
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 01:36 PM   #7

Name: M
Trailer: Formerly Scamp
Oregon
Question change out awning?

I have a Catalina 2500 awning on my 2005 13 ft Deluxe Scamp. I am unable to set up this awning by myself. At the fall Oregon gathering at Ft. Stevens, some kind gentlemen set it up and took it down for me. I travel solo and my pitbull hasn't learned how to do this task. I wish to replace the awning (in very good condition), with an easy set up awning that this ol' gal can easily do alone.

Suggestions are most appreciated. Thanks.
Ttocs M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 02:34 PM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Scott View Post
I have a Catalina 2500 awning on my 2005 13 ft Deluxe Scamp. I am unable to set up this awning by myself. At the fall Oregon gathering at Ft. Stevens, some kind gentlemen set it up and took it down for me. I travel solo and my pitbull hasn't learned how to do this task. I wish to replace the awning (in very good condition), with an easy set up awning that this ol' gal can easily do alone.

Suggestions are most appreciated. Thanks.
I struggled with the Catalina 2500 on my Scamp as well when I first got it. Took me a number of times of doing it wrong until the owner of Escape trailer was camping beside me one week-end showed me the error of my ways! mg

Found I need to make sure the the awning legs str raised and moved in enough that the awning goes in level with the casing for the best fit - also found the previous owner had forced the legs up into the case, causing the end caps to bend (end caps have a guide in them) which stopped the awning from allowing me to store the legs up into it easily. Replaced the end caps and things got easier. Able to put it away on my own now but totally agree the Catalina in general is not an easy awning to deal with.

If I was starting over with an awning I would probable get a Fiesta Awning that Escape uses. Its pretty easy for a single party to put up and take down.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning