cabinet doors - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-07-2008, 06:44 AM   #15
Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young

I did not replace the doors when I rebuilt my cabinets, I got the rubberized wire shelf from the hardware store, cut them neatly with two protruded tabs on the bottom and top of the panels...When I did the in my Astro cabinets I drilled into the oak outer facing two holes top and bottom that aligned perfectly with my tabs in the wire panel. Now I could slip the panel up into the top holes and once in, down into the bottom ones locking the panel neatly in place.

The advantage I get is a door that will not bounce open on rough roads, a see thru door that quickly lets me see what’s in the cabinet and a lighter weight which I always strive for. I keep my items in plastic stacking tubs and reuse the rubberized panels to dry dishes on when needed.

Another advantage of using the panels over the door is I can in tight quarters open the panels by lifting up and out without standing aside to allow for the swing room of a door.

Hi All,
We are planning on removing the cabinet doors from our boler and making new ones out of plywood. Our table is made this way, and I really prefer the look of real wood to plastic wood.
So, we know that the hinge rivets can be drilled out, but can we replace them with tiny screws instead of rivets?
Also, what is the best way to slightly round the corners of the doors when we cut out the plywood? We have a router (sp?) for the edges, but the best thing to cut plywood is....?
I know there are a lot of talented woodworkers out there!
Attached Thumbnails

Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 09:05 AM   #16
Trailer: Casita 16 ft Spirit Deluxe
I've been meaning to provide some construction notes on how to make them, so here is a graphic showing their construction followed by some notes.

This is great. I really like your design, which lends itself to a variety of final configurations, while it minimizes the power equipment required at home by having the universal ply strips cut at the supplier's and by using standard molding. Well done!

Parker Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote