Cabinet doors - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2014, 10:17 AM   #1

Name: Josie&Craig
Trailer: Escape 21
South Carolina
Registry
Cabinet doors

Before we left SC for our west coast or bust adventure we decided to update the cabinet doors. Using 5/8 Baltic Birch we cut the doors to size and put a radius on the corners of 1 ¼”. We then backed beveled the edges to eliminate the need for handles. They have worked very well and finishing them in a natural finish has brightened the interior of the camper.
Attached Thumbnails
doors1.jpg   Doors2.jpg  

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
2yax2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:23 AM   #2

South Carolina
Registry
Mrs. 2yax here.

After almost 3 weeks on the road with these new doors I am really loving them.

My favorite is how he made the pantry door over the fridge into double doors. No more door taking up the walk space.

I also love that he made the openings bigger on the bathroom-side cabinets. The top one is our linen storage and the bottom one has been turned into a pantry freeing the fridge pantry cabinet for the small microwave we bought for this trip. (There's also just enough room above the micro for a shelf to hold the coffee filters, sugar and spare bags of coffee.)

And, having no handles means no snagging my sleeves as I walk my short little self around the rig.

Loving his new handywork to our little home on wheels.

Josie

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
Old 07-03-2014, 11:29 AM   #3

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Very nice, love the double doors over the fridge. Can you post some picks of the oversize doors on the other side? I am currently remodeling that area in my Scamp and would like some ideas.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 12:20 PM   #4

South Carolina
Registry
I increased both openings lengthwise about 5" without increasing the width of the opening for structural integrity. I left the center between both doors as it came . I still need to cut new edging for both door openings. I considered increasing the width of the openings but felt it would not be any better access then the original opening.
Attached Thumbnails
door3.jpg   door4.jpg  

Old 07-03-2014, 12:51 PM   #5

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Ahh, you have a layout "6" I take it. I kind of wish I had that but like my "4" too. When you buy used you don't have much choice.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote