cabinet doors, Do we replace them? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2006, 03:58 PM   #1

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Hi again people,

I can't stand the dark wood vaneer on the cabinets! Im thinking of covering the doors with melamine. Am I missing the big picture here? Should I just replace them? Id love to see pics of what you people have come up with!

Click image for larger version

Name:	moab_trillium_carpet_003.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	162.6 KB
ID:	2738
Ryan Kennelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 04:47 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
Someone used this product with excellent results. With your black and white floor, all you'd need is a red cushion or two to have the 50's diner look.

Appliance Adhesive
Benita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 05:14 PM   #3

Name: Roy
Trailer: Boler 1975 13 ft
California
Ryan

I chose to re-finish in my restoration. Since I was going to surface them with oak venere I was able to clean up the 4 worn edges by trimming about 3/16 inch off them with my table saw. Then attached a 3/16th inch wood strip to bring them back to size. Then glued the venere to the inner and outer face surfaces iwth contact cement. Finished the 4 edges with the iron on oak venere trim ( boy is that a neat new invention). Then stained with a oak stain and gave them a coat of satin polyurethane.

The extra damp winter showed me I gave the table top a better coat of polyurethane than the cabinet doors (thought it would get more wear). There were some places on the cabinet doors where my venere expanded and bubbled a little with the grain. After checking with a refinisher he said just get out an old iron and iron them... I tried and it works - seems the heat softens the contact cement and re-bonds the venere and the wood flattens. I will be giving them a good coat of polyurethane when done!

Name:   kitchen2.JPG
Views: 492
Size:  14.5 KB
Roy Massen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 05:42 PM   #4

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
I just took the easy route and just painted them along with the table to match.....it`s on my webshots site....Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 06:34 PM   #5

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Melamine will work just fine, you can take some medium sandpaper and go over the existing surface to break up the finish then stick the new stuff to it. If you have square edges I'd put the new stuff on there first then do the front and back. That way the reveal of the edging won't be peaking at you all the time, If the edges are a radius then you can try to match it with paint or as Ryan did make them square then glue the edges.
Old 05-06-2006, 06:44 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I simply made new doors and replaced. They're not hard to make.

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]

The plain doors without decorations were not hard to make. I used 1/2" maple edged glued to get the width. Cut to size, round the edges, finish to your likes. I transfered hardware from the old doors to the new doors.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:40 PM   #7

Trailer: 1992 13 ft Scamp
Ryan,

We are redoing our scamp in oak. The new closet doors are done.
Better pictures tomorrow.

Dave and Diane
Attached Thumbnails
dors_installed_2.jpg   pic_doors.jpg  

doors_1.jpg  
DianeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 10:02 PM   #8

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
I removed the Contac-paper type fake wood by heating it with a hair dryer and peeling it off. Then I just painted the doors white and added a yellow stripe. It was inexpensive and easy and it really brightened up the interior of our Scamp!
Sandra
Attached Images

Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 11:53 PM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
here is mine..before and after...
Attached Thumbnails
a9.JPG   a26.JPG  

a6.JPG   a24.JPG  

Dan Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 10:56 AM   #10

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
I used Birch Plywood and rounded the edges then clear poly as a finish.
I even found a thin enough peice to do the fridge door with.
It just slid into the channel where the old on was.

This really brightened up my interior.
Attached Thumbnails
cabclose.jpg  
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 10:59 AM   #11

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
A few more
Attached Thumbnails
maincab.jpg   closet.jpg  

Attached Images

Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 01:42 PM   #12

Trailer: 1992 13 ft Scamp
Here's the new cabinet doors installed
plus the new shortened version of the dinette table.
Happy Scamping Diane & Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Closrt_and_table.jpg   Kit_cabinet.jpg  

table.jpg   table_and_kitchenette.jpg  

Kitchenette_thru_door.jpg  
DianeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 04:19 PM   #13

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft

Boy Diane you and Dave sure do fine work...it is amazing, the trailer of yours that I saw in Two Harbors vs your trailer with modifications...just amazing and beautifly done.

Jim Paskett
Jim Paskett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 07:24 PM   #14

Trailer: 78 Scamp 13 ft
Well, the cabinet doors in our old Scamp were just those "imitation" pressed board ones- I felt NO hesitation at all in painting them. They are so small- if I ever got the urge for read wooden ones, it would be easy to just make them.

I am doing my decor in a Space theme... I thought wouldn't it be nice to get cool colored plastic panels to make new doors with? That would be SO nice. Some company, somewhere, makes such an item, I just know it- I'd just have to hunt.
Deb in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 07:50 PM   #15

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Well, the cabinet doors in our old Scamp were just those "imitation" pressed board ones- I felt NO hesitation at all in painting them. They are so small- if I ever got the urge for read wooden ones, it would be easy to just make them.

I am doing my decor in a Space theme... I thought wouldn't it be nice to get cool colored plastic panels to make new doors with? That would be SO nice. Some company, somewhere, makes such an item, I just know it- I'd just have to hunt.

My poor old brain is slipping. There was a science fiction series I read many years ago. In that series stuff made of "genuine plastic" was great demand. Every story had several references to "genuine plastic".

Maybe you're ahead of your time.
Old 05-07-2006, 10:19 PM   #16

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I am doing my decor in a Space theme... I thought wouldn't it be nice to get cool colored plastic panels to make new doors with? That would be SO nice. [b]Some company, somewhere, makes such an item, I just know it- I'd just have to hunt.
Ridout Plastics in San Diego, California Go to this link. You can even order it online.
Old 05-08-2006, 05:43 AM   #17
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
What inspiration all of you are!
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 07:28 AM   #18

Trailer: Love Bug 1974
Diane, that's vitually what I'm planning to do with my doors, create a frame so I can change out my oil paintings. You did a nice job. Can you change the photos and if so, would you kindly post a picture of the inside?

Ed Harris, I love your birch doors! They are so pretty!

Byron, great looking project!

Deb, I've seen something of what you described in Europe at some of the design places I'v been...it's like looking at Tupperware! Yes, these could be fun. But, why not use plexiglass? You could get a clear door and etch it with a space theme! It would be veddy cool looking. If mine, I'd likely try to find a stainless edge to finish them off.
Just a thought...

What a group of talented people here!
Gigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 10:54 AM   #19

Trailer: Bonair
Quote:
My poor old brain is slipping. There was a science fiction series I read many years ago. In that series stuff made of "genuine plastic" was great demand. Every story had several references to "genuine plastic".

Maybe you're ahead of your time.

I hear you all on that dark interior. it's the one reason we hadn't bought a boler or bigfoot before. So now that we have one...the question is how to brighten up that interior!

Since my husband is a carpenter replacing the doors isn't a hard one...

We've wondered about just painting the interior or replacing the panelling - but replacing seems like a ton of work....
Bernice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 01:04 PM   #20

Trailer: 79 Boler 17 ft
I chose to resurface the cabinets in my 17' boler. But Man, there are about 20 cabinets!. I chose to resurface in feaux woodgrain. I used natural looking formica laminate for durability, cleaning and reduce the amount of staining sanding I needed to do. As for the doors, I used Birch flooring strips as the frames, and tore apart the old doors and used them as backing for the new ones. See the before and after pictures. So far, I got 3/4 done. The other 1/4 I am going to paint. They are on the other side of the trailer that do don't see in these pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
cabinetsbefore.jpg   cabinetsafter.jpg  

KevinDR is offline   Reply With Quote