Cabinet doors stay shut now - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2013, 07:40 PM   #1

Name: Eric
Trailer: Scamp 13
Michigan
Cabinet doors stay shut now

I have had an occasional problem where a cabinet or closet doors will be open after some travel and some of the contents now strewn over the trailer. I hope I fixed it this afternoon. This hardware was from Hafele, a German company. I have part numbers if anyone is interested. As usual the idea was born on this website so thank you to everyone once again. I know you like pictures, so here you go.

Normally it is like this and it is just a pull/push knob when we are camping.
Click image for larger version

Name:	3 open.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	60247
When you want it locked for travel you push the knob in and it locks in this position.

Name:	3 closed.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	60248

Push it again and it is unlocked. Here is a closeup.

Name:	closeup open.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	60250
Here is a closeup with it in the locked position (but with a door open so you can see it).

Name:	closeup closed.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	60249
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:08 PM   #2

Name: Chris
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Pennsylvania
Registry
Very nice! I have problems keeping the large cabinet shut and this might be a solution. Do you always have to press the button in to close the door or is there another holdback mechanism?
My theory was that the plastic trim/profile around the FG in a scamp prevents the rollers to keep the doors shut, did anyone ever try to trim away the trim (hah!) were the rollers should engage?
chse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:12 PM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Love those knobs!! And its super simple to see if they're locked for travel.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:16 PM   #4

Name: Sharon
Trailer: Chez Nous - a 2011 Scamp 16'
Texas
Eric, yes I'd very much like to know where you bought those knobs and the part numbers. I really need something similar.

Sharon
SharonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:27 PM   #5

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by chse View Post
Very nice! I have problems keeping the large cabinet shut and this might be a solution. Do you always have to press the button in to close the door or is there another holdback mechanism?
My theory was that the plastic trim/profile around the FG in a scamp prevents the rollers to keep the doors shut, did anyone ever try to trim away the trim (hah!) were the rollers should engage?

I did this on the large cabinet in addition to the smaller ones for the same reasons. The locking mechanism I showed is in addition to the regular roller. That allows everything to work like I am used to when it is in the unlocked state. So when we camp for a couple days in one spot, the knobs stay in the unlocked state and we just use the rollers to keep them shut. But when we travel we press them in to the locked state and they don't open.

Here is a picture that shows the roller (red box) and the knob in the locked state.

Name:	roller and lock.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	60270

I did actually try removing the plastic trim (for other reasons) and I also adjusted the roller to different positions. The trim didn't make much difference. It helps when you get the roller in the right spot, but rollers are fundamentally limited and will always open with enough of a "bump". That is why we went to a system that had a positive lock.

Let me know if my explanation wasn't clear and I will take more pictures.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:35 PM   #6

Name: Chris
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Pennsylvania
Registry
I see now, thank you - great solution! What are they called and whats their part#? I am in Germany next month I'll try to find them.
chse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:25 PM   #7

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Yes please, post the part #'s.
I can see using that or something similar on the sliders in the trillium.

No need to buy in Germany, Hafele is also in Candada and the USA.
Häfele - INDEX COUNTRY SELECTOR
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:20 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
We've had very good luck using Philip-it latches.
Phlip-It RV Cabinet Latches
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:06 PM   #9

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Also interested in a part number, the other solutions I've seen just look hack to me.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:35 PM   #10

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Nice soloution. Is there a part on the cabinet side that the latch slides into? If so did you have to add any support to the cabinet where the slide latch meets the cabinet?
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:42 AM   #11

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otters View Post
Nice soloution. Is there a part on the cabinet side that the latch slides into? If so did you have to add any support to the cabinet where the slide latch meets the cabinet?
On the cabinet side the latch just slides out and goes behind the trim/fiberglass of the cabinet. There is space to add reinforcement to the cabinet if you want to, but it didn't seem necessary. The latch against the fiberglass/trim seemed strong enough to me. I was only trying to keep them from popping open from bumps/rattles/shakes. I wasn't trying to lock up anything trying to get out .
Old 06-09-2013, 05:45 AM   #12

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Yes please, post the part #'s.
I can see using that or something similar on the sliders in the trillium.

No need to buy in Germany, Hafele is also in Candada and the USA.
Häfele - INDEX COUNTRY SELECTOR
Correct. I actually ordered them from a local hardware store (no shipping costs). They didn't have them in stock, but could order them and were the cheapest option I could find. This link will show you the dealers near you in the USA by zip code.

Häfele - I'm a Consumer and I'd like to purchase Häfele products
Old 06-09-2013, 06:01 AM   #13

Michigan
Here are the part numbers I used:
211.63.700 Locking mechanism white
211.60.990 Shim
229.01.677 plastic knob
229.03.608 plastic rosette (the other part you see from the front that is not the knob)

Here is the catalog with pictures, dimensions, options, part numbers, etc.... Follow the link and then go to page 409. Häfele Blätterkatalog

Note there are brass versions and other colors available as well. Technically, it was not made to work with cabinets as thin as Scamps, but it worked fine as long as you used the shim and carefully aligned everything.

Installation notes:
1. You do have to drill the 1" hole in the door and a couple of small holes for the screws.
2. The location of where to put the hole matters. You want the hole close enough to the cabinet that the latch is solidly behind the cabinet when locked. However, it must be far enough away that the door opens and closes. You can't have the locking mechanism right up against the cabinet when closed because the locking mechanism has thickness and as the door swings in an arc open the locking mechanism will hit the cabinet.
3. As a matter of aesthetics, I wanted the previous hole to disappear when I drilled the new 1" hole.
4. I also wanted all the doors to look like the knob is in the same spot even though the distance the door and the cabinet overlap is different in my trailer.

More thoughts available if you wish, but those are the major ones.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:23 PM   #14
Commercial Member

Trailer: Winnebago
All of the parts listed are available at Beetlefreak.com and available for immediate shipment.
Larry,C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 06:29 PM   #15

Name: Martin
Trailer: Boler
Ontario
Cabinet doors stay shut now

Lee Valley sells something very similar. Sadly too rich for my blood $$$

http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware...=3,41399,41400

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Raff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 06:38 PM   #16
Commercial Member

Trailer: Winnebago
The latches from Lee Valley are for door that are "They are rated for a holding force of 44 lb, and can be used on material from 19mm to 30mm (3/4" to 1-3/16") thick." The ones I sell are for doors 1/2" - 3/4" thick. Measure the thickness of your doors before ordering.
Larry,C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 07:28 PM   #17

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
The only time I've had problems with a well adjusted door not staying closed was when the axle on my EGG was dead.
If the cushions are on the floor also on paved roads you need an axle.

John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote