cabinet hardware - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2012, 05:55 PM   #1

Name: Shaidah
Trailer: 81 Bigfoot, 17'
British Columbia
cabinet hardware

My '81 bigfoot has original cabinets and cabinet hardware. The drawer pulls are quite ugly and the cupboards don't have any pulls but a button you press from underneath when you lift the cupboard up. What is existing is irrelevant because I am considering new cupboard doors and drawer fronts. At the very least, if I don't get doors/drawer fronts, then new drawer pulls are still a MUST. What kind of cabinet hardware is available that locks the cabinets so nothing falls out when driving?

Thanks in advance for your feedback and ideas!

Shaidah
Shaidah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:23 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Sounds like what your cupboard doors have is what was originally [now missing] on our Uhaul cupboards. The closet door has the latch but the cupboards and storage compartment latches are gone and I can't find replacements. As a quick fix just before we left on a 3 week trip I put an eye-bolt at each end of the cupboard doors and slid a wood dowel through to keep them shut while traveling. It was that or not put anything in them, so the dowel was the answer. Bob
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:14 AM   #3

Trailer: Boler 1984
Lee Valley Tools has three outlets in BC. They deal in top of the line merchandise.Check out their catalogues on line for a large assortment of fasteners and cupboard hardware.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 01:30 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Sounds like what your cupboard doors have is what was originally [now missing] on our Uhaul cupboards. The closet door has the latch but the cupboards and storage compartment latches are gone and I can't find replacements. As a quick fix just before we left on a 3 week trip I put an eye-bolt at each end of the cupboard doors and slid a wood dowel through to keep them shut while traveling. It was that or not put anything in them, so the dowel was the answer. Bob
Bob, these look a lot like the cabinet latches on my UHaul.

Compartment Door Thumb Locks by JR Products

https://www.makariosrv.com/products/...-Products.html
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:32 PM   #5

New York
Tom. Thanks for that link, you apparently have the later model trailer that had the compartment liners from the factory. If you have noticed in the repair manual, the earlier Uhauls didn't have the liners, they were added later to make cleaning easier. Ours had a latch that just caught on the edge of the opening and was operated by pushing in at a small opening on the edge of the cupboard or closet door. Our closet door still has that latch. That latch wouldn't work after the cupboard liners were installed so apparently they were removed from our camper. We did see another Uhaul that must have been a later model as it had the latches like you're showing, they go through a hole in the door, and latch into a slot in the liner. I'm kind of hesitant to go making a hole in the cupboard doors to install that type latch so may just stay with the halfa$$ed fix I made with the wood dowel, it keeps them shut when traveling and is removed when we are set up on a site. I looked at latches at Lowes but didn't find anything I liked. Bob
Old 02-04-2012, 05:56 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Trailer: Winnebago
Latches, bezels and knobs

I have recently assembled a line of latches, bezels and knobs that are the same as the ones installed by Casita and Sea Ray boats. Send me a PM and I will send you a brochure with all of our products.

Larry Clift
Bluegrass Solar Solutions
larryclift@gmail.com
Larry,C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:28 PM   #7

New York
PM sent