Cadet update - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2007, 08:41 PM   #1

Trailer: Cadet 1985 / 2006 Element
I've updated the blog on the Cadet. I found a common problem...damp and moldy plywood under the vinyl. The Cadet has fiberglass on the bottom so the fix will should be easy enough. Thinking about the future, I went to the library for a fiberglass repair book. The fun continues.

http://our85cadet.blogspot.com
DonInChatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 01:30 PM   #2

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 13 ft / 1999 Toyota Tacoma
Don,

You will have fun with this. One comment, for fiberglass use two part epoxy glass for repairs if you can-

The type you find in most auto part / repair stores is a polyester resin and catalyst formula is is really difficult to make work well as it kicks or cures too quickly and does not adhere to many surfaces.

A source is RAKA Epoxy or West Marine

Raka is what I have used a lot of and you can add wood flour (fine dust from wood) or other fillrs to make a stiffer mix for vertical repairs--pot time is longer. That is it does not set up quickly, but when it kicks or cures it does it with gusto. Another plus--no noxoius fumes or odros to speak of.

Good luck, nice blog by the way

Gary
Gary Carvajal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 03:35 PM   #3

Gary: Thanks for the input. I've already been pricing things at the marine supply store down the road and nothing has gotten any cheaper than they were in my sailing days. I think I will glass-in some 1x2s to support the overhead cabinets, which will also strengthen the roof. The demolition job continues.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:44 PM   #4

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
I was browsing your page on your Cadet...

The leaking front window:
That style of window is used on quite a few of the European trailers (including my wierd little pop-up). I believe they are also used on the T@B trailers - might not be the right size - but worth investigating.

Course that's assuming you want to *restore* the trailer back to original - if you don't care about that I'd just start digging through an RV boneyard for a front window with guard that fit.

mkw
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 04:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Course that's assuming you want to *restore* the trailer back to original - if you don't care about that I'd just start digging through an RV boneyard for a front window with guard that fit.

mkw
Mike: In the back of my mind is the idea that the front window will need to be replaced, not something I really want to do. I may try to find a conventional trailer window for the front and I will keep the pristine rear window, which is also the emergency exit. The T@Bs I've seen don't have a front window.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:19 PM   #6

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Mike: In the back of my mind is the idea that the front window will need to be replaced, not something I really want to do. I may try to find a conventional trailer window for the front and I will keep the pristine rear window, which is also the emergency exit. The T@Bs I've seen don't have a front window.
Hion... Nice trailer/blog...If the front window is plexiglass could you not buy a sheet @ the building supply store and cut a new one with a jig saw??? This is something I might attempt for our '77 Boler as the front window is badly scratched Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 07:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Hion... Nice trailer/blog...If the front window is plexiglass could you not buy a sheet @ the building supply store and cut a new one with a jig saw??? This is something I might attempt for our '77 Boler as the front window is badly scratched Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf: The front and rear windows are formed with a raise shape rather than flat. Probably a heat process. I'm wondering if I can use heat to reshape the damaged corner. This is known as the learning curve.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:58 PM   #8

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
...The T@Bs I've seen don't have a front window.
That's the teardrop shape... the front is a curve which is not an easy fit for a window. The side, on the other hand, does have those moulded plastic top-hinged Euro windows, and perhaps one would fit the front of the Cadet.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 08:03 PM   #9

Trailer: 2000 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe ('Millenium Eggloo')
Don, you commented in the blog about the front carrier box having holes in it. Because the propane tank is carried within that box, venting is mandatory!! I find the water tank a curious partner in that box. Quite often a battery or 2nd propane tank were mounted in there.

The dealer where I store my trailer used to sell Cadets in competition to the dealer just down the road who sold the Trilliums. Midland Ave where yours was assembled from imported parts is less than 10 miles from the old Trillium factory!
Charlie C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 09:19 PM   #10

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Alf: The front and rear windows are formed with a raise shape rather than flat. Probably a heat process. I'm wondering if I can use heat to reshape the damaged corner. This is known as the learning curve.
Hi: Use an electric hair drier/blower and heat it very gently... if lucky it might return to shape as before with little or no force!!! Easy does it though... Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 09:23 PM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Don, I was going to bend some plexiglass for a project...didn't end up doing it tho. At anyrate, see if any info in these three websites will aid in your endeavor:
Home Builder's Page - FORMING PLEXIGLASS
View Full Version : how too bend,form,cut lexan/plexiglass
Plexiglas® Primer
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 09:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Don, you commented in the blog about the front carrier box having holes in it. Because the propane tank is carried within that box, venting is mandatory!! I find the water tank a curious partner in that box. Quite often a battery or 2nd propane tank were mounted in there.
Charlie: Actually what I meant was punctures and breaks to the fiberglass, also, the back of the box is largely not there...think of three complete sides and the fourth side a frame with a large opening.

Thanks everyone for these suggestions!

Tags
cadet