Call me crazy... - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2018, 08:12 AM   #41

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
carl are you the guy with 10 routers all with different bits in them?

bob
Wow what a great thought . I have only 5 routers and having to constantly change bits is PITA !
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 08:31 AM   #42

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
steve and carl

I camped out in Kansas one time a guy had a full woodworking shop he had at least 10 routers hanging off the ceiling each with a different router bit in them. After seeing them it made the most sense in the world to me!

I wish I had the knack for that line of work or hobby!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 10:09 AM   #43

Name: Natasha
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
I wonder if a person couldn't get a different color of "rat fur?"
Aperfectsonnettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 11:14 AM   #44

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aperfectsonnettt View Post
You can definitely buy it, but whether Scamp would install it is uncertain. Since it goes in before all the cabinets and appliances, it has to be installed during the build.

As an FYI... "Rat fur" is a local nickname for the specific breed of fuzzy marine headliner Scamp has used since the mid-80's. It was coined by a member of the forum who has since passed on. I believe part of the story is that he used to travel in his Scamp with real, live pet rats. I'm sure he would want you to know no rats are harmed in the making of "rat fur."

If you google "marine headliner" you should be able to pull up some suppliers and see what's available. It is available in a variety of colors (mostly shades of neutral) and textures, some much less fuzzy than the stuff Scamp uses.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 11:25 AM   #45

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aperfectsonnettt View Post
The best way to answer that question is with a phone call to SCAMP.
Old 04-07-2018, 11:26 AM   #46

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Pa View Post
I spent $20,000 worth of tools to make that 2 buck spice shelf.
I have $40k in tools and woodworking machinery, so does that make my spice racks worth $4?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 11:38 AM   #47

Name: Aaron
Trailer: 2000 Bigfoot 21RB, & 92 Vanagon Westy
Idaho
As others have said, you can't paint the rat fur. That being said, I find the neutral color works well with adding color in other ways. You can replace the curtains, the seat cushions, and even replace the carpeted floor. There are a lot of great images on pinterest or google image search, just search Scamp interior. Some examples of what others have done (not my scamp).

and

Now for images of my scamp. We got our scamp late last year, and the last owners were big on brown, brown pillows, brown curtains, brown floor, even gave us brown towels. Spent a weekend, made curtains, and covers for the two brown pillows. Fabric came from Joanna's, got the curtain fabric for 90% off so only $6.30.

Before

After.

Going to look into replacing some of the internal hardware next. When it gets warm and stops raining, the next step will be to pull up the floor and put something else down. Then the cushions covers will get replaced.
1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 11:55 AM   #48

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Glad I read your post again, 1500...images from Pinterest, not your trailer inside. I was getting quite confused!

And, sure, if you're going to make things look nice, then they're going to look nice! I love looking at such photos!

Thanks!

BEST
Kai
Old 04-09-2018, 12:05 PM   #49

Name: Aaron
Trailer: 2000 Bigfoot 21RB, & 92 Vanagon Westy
Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
Glad I read your post again, 1500...images from Pinterest, not your trailer inside. I was getting quite confused!

And, sure, if you're going to make things look nice, then they're going to look nice! I love looking at such photos!

Thanks!

BEST
Kai
LOL, sorry, I edited it so hopefully others will not be confused.

There are just so many ways you can personalize the interior with out messing with the rat fur. Although You can if you want...

Another example from google (not mine)
1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 12:11 PM   #50

Name: Natasha
Minnesota
1500, those are some real pretty interiors! I love the ones where the walls (even if they are "rat fur") look white! Unfortunately, they don't come that way, and I called Scamp, and they won't put in white marine headliner, even if I pay extra, or bring it in to the factory myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1500 View Post
As others have said, you can't paint the rat fur. That being said, I find the neutral color works well with adding color in other ways. You can replace the curtains, the seat cushions, and even replace the carpeted floor. There are a lot of great images on pinterest or google image search, just search Scamp interior. Some examples of what others have done (not my scamp).

and

Now for images of my scamp. We got our scamp late last year, and the last owners were big on brown, brown pillows, brown curtains, brown floor, even gave us brown towels. Spent a weekend, made curtains, and covers for the two brown pillows. Fabric came from Joanna's, got the curtain fabric for 90% off so only $6.30.

Before

After.

Going to look into replacing some of the internal hardware next. When it gets warm and stops raining, the next step will be to pull up the floor and put something else down. Then the cushions covers will get replaced.
Aperfectsonnettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 03:45 PM   #51

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Aperfectsonettt: The ones that look white likely are NOT marine headliner, but plain white fiberglass, or something painted. Ensolite can be painted. Our interior is thin plywood paneling. we "pickled" it (stained it with white stain and sealed it) though it looks just mostly tan...one day we'll paint it white, when it's battered enough to be worth the effort.

1500: oh, yes, I like what you're doing in there.

So many choices. Even with leaving the rat fur alone.