Camco Olympian wave heater install - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2018, 01:25 PM   #1

Name: kanga
Trailer: scamp 16
Oregon
Camco Olympian wave heater install

Of those of you who have a Camco Olympian wave heater in your fiberglass trailer how and where did you install it? I'm not seeing too much wall space in the scamp to mount one.
hiker22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 04:08 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
The usual place I've seen it is on the closet by the door near the bottom, and that's on models that do not have the fridge installed there.

I think I recall one person set it up as a freestanding unit on the floor in front of the front bunk using a quick-connect propane fitting.

Make sure you read and follow all directions regarding clearances and ventilation. Maintain working smoke, CO, and LP detectors. Cover the unit when not in use to prevent contamination of the catalytic pads. Used as directed, they are safe, but people die every year from improper use of unvented propane heaters.

Be prepared for large amounts of water vapor emitted as a combustion byproduct (along with carbon dioxide). If you're not careful, you can end up with mold growing inside cabinets and benches.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 04:48 PM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I think I recall one person set it up as a freestanding unit on the floor in front of the front bunk using a quick-connect propane fitting.
Sounds like that person could have been me, except that I dont use the floor because of the dog. But I did install a quick connect fitting, and even rigged the manometer to use the quick connect.

I did look at places to install the smallest Wave (3) and never found a good place that met the minimum clearances, would not be a hazard to me or the dog, etc.

Jon's cautions are important. You will see more in this thread I am sure, and some might sound quite dire. For me, the wave is only for occasional use, or emergency use where I have lost all electric (120 and 12) and need heat to survive. I have used it an average of once a year.

So for occasional use I have the legs for it and I set it on the kitchen counter on an extension with a small (pull) chain attached to the grill and the upper cabinet, allowing it to hang far enough forward so as not to overheat the upper cabinet. I do not sleep with it on. For occasional use while awake I would set it on the floor if I did not have the dog.

If you find an acceptable location, let us know.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 05:08 PM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I believe you were the person, Gordon, but my memory was foggy. Thanks for clarifying the details.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 08:35 PM   #5

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Much of the heat from a catalytic travels in a straight line ahead of it and primarily warms those things in its path. Ideally one would want to install it so it points toward the area you most want to heat (like the bed, for example). That can be quite a challenge in our small trailers. The non-permanent, quick connect idea appeals to me.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 11:16 AM   #6

Name: Aaron
Trailer: 2000 Bigfoot 21RB, & 92 Vanagon Westy
Idaho
The scamp I purchased last year had one installed already.

I have used it a number of times, and it works well.
1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 12:49 PM   #7

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1500 View Post
The scamp I purchased last year had one installed already. ...
Is that a Wave three or a six? Per the manual:

The Olympian™ Wave 6 and Wave 8 can be hung on the wall in a
vertical or horizontal position. The Wave 3 can only be mounted
in the vertical position.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/95...?page=4#manual

http://www.dyersonline.com/downloadf...itfile_id/575/
Old 04-09-2018, 01:14 PM   #8

Name: Aaron
Trailer: 2000 Bigfoot 21RB, & 92 Vanagon Westy
Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Is that a Wave three or a six? Per the manual:

The Olympian™ Wave 6 and Wave 8 can be hung on the wall in a
vertical or horizontal position. The Wave 3 can only be mounted
in the vertical position.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/95...?page=4#manual

http://www.dyersonline.com/downloadf...itfile_id/575/
From my units manual.
1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 02:39 PM   #9

North Carolina
So its a Wave 3 and two copies of the manual I found said it has to be vertical, but your photo and this manual from 2008 says it can be horizontal or vertical. How confusing. If it were me I think I would call their tech support.

The other concern might be its age since it looks like an older model to me, and if it is uncovered all the time. Everyone who uses the Wave heaters should be familiar with the instructions, particularly the section on catalytic pad poisoning. The pads do not last forever - their lifetimes are largely dependent on the environment they are used in.
Old 04-09-2018, 03:44 PM   #10

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
we have a wave 3 it heats our 13f just fine. we put it on the kitchen counter aimed toward the bed. crack a window 1/4in and the top 1/4in and don't worry. I have ran one in my house for 20 years never a problem.

they will surprise you how cheap they are to run also I disconnected the furnance hooked a flex line there 3ft I believe and on the end put a quick disconnect so we can put it away when not in use.

you must cover these when not in use if the pad gets too much dust in it it will stop working.

good luck,

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 11:42 AM   #11

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
my wave 3 lives on the bathroom door of my casita 16 sd. i do use a cover when it's not in use and crack the windows a bit for safety. the little heater does a great job keeping the chill away.

p@
Attached Thumbnails
wave3.jpg  
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 01:50 PM   #12

Missouri
nice idea

I like your mounting idea nice

bob
Old 04-11-2018, 01:53 PM   #13

Missouri
kitchen counter floor I have ran it 2 weeks in a row in cold wx!

works great follow good sense in venting no problems. no extra equipment when hooking up none needed!

bob