Camco tornado - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2015, 07:25 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: 2000 16ft Scamp
Minnesota
Camco tornado

A couple of weeks ago I posted a thread asking for help with installation of a Camco tornado in my 2000 16 ft. scamp. I made some wise crack about learning from others mistakes. No reply's and I finished the installation. I think this thing works great as it has always been a little to invasive to clean out after camping. The installation went OK, be careful to not damage the top rubber gasket as they are $60.00. A usual toilet wax seal needs to be replaced on the bottom of the toilet. The only thing I should have different is to install it on the outside, toward the wall of the blank tank. I purchased mine from Amazon for less than $25.00. Another thing to watch is to trim the hose so there is no loops that may freeze with water in winter. I am attempting photos.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00395.jpg   DSC00390.jpg  

DSC00391.jpg   DSC00392.jpg  

crowwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:50 AM   #2

Name: Christian
Trailer: Escape 2017, 17B
Florida
Looks like you did a nice job

Sent from my C6530N using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Christian in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 12:15 PM   #3

Minnesota
Thanks Lisa, it sure works well....no more stinky black tanks for me!
John
Old 09-02-2015, 12:19 PM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Part of the reason you may not have gotten a response is that many of us just follow what's in the "Recent Discussions" window. Each time a post is posted or responded to it can push the list down and, in some examples I have seen, new posts last less than an hour or two before being lost to LaLa Land or wherever.

As there are currently a number of what I would call "blogs" also running, this can happen very quickly to be most urgent of questions.

When this happens just reopen your thread and add another step to the thread by adding more information or even re-asking the question, and your thread will return to the top of the queue and be viewed again. BTW, just editing your post won't have the same result.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 01:51 PM   #5

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
If you don't mind, I would appreciate an explanation of how it works with the toilet you have pictured. It appears from your picture that the toilet/tank combo still has the discharge tube on the back of the tank. Does the force of the water move the discharge up and out the back tube or do you need a pump for that?

We are looking at a similar setup for our UHaul to do away with the porta-potti.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 02:08 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I use "Odorlos" and you dont have any more smell before or afterwards. When I return from a trip, I use my regular garden hose with a sprayer on the end to wash out the inside of the tank with the ball open. So far, it's easy and nearly 6 yrs with NO problems with my black tank.

I like the installation as it's neat. But I'm leary about adding more potential "leak points" AND- as you mentioned- freeze points.

Here's a link to the Odorlos (thanks to Floyd for the suggestion early on.)
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...g-bottle/58994
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 02:11 PM   #7

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I believe that all the Camco Toronado part is a tank rinsing system. That's a standard Scamp SeaLand toilet with it's rather small holding tank that you will always have to empty by either taking the RV to a dump station or using a transfer tank of some sort. Either method is much more time consuming and messy that emptying the bottom of a GOOD porta potty like the Dometic 975 or 976 Sanipoptty with it's 5 gallon holding tank. Here's a link.

Portable Toilets - Dometic Corp

We use one and I have recommended them to others with exceptional results. We took the bathroom & holding tank out of our Hunter and installed one of the Dometic units, a lot easier and convenient to use

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 02:34 PM   #8

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post

We use one and I have recommended them to others with exceptional results. We took the bathroom & holding tank out of our Hunter and installed one of the Dometic units, a lot easier and convenient to use
No doubt this is because of your revolutionary "slide and sit" system!
Old 09-02-2015, 02:43 PM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Looks like a nice unit and if I was building a trailer, I'd heavily consider it myself and eliminate all the through-floor holes, valves etc. BUT, since mine has it's own tank, it is a 9-gal tank and thus far, we've never had to empty it during a campout. SO, it works for our use. Others full-timing? It would be interesting to hear their take on which style/method they'd prefer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
I believe that all the Camco Toronado part is a tank rinsing system. That's a standard Scamp SeaLand toilet with it's rather small holding tank that you will always have to empty by either taking the RV to a dump station or using a transfer tank of some sort. Either method is much more time consuming and messy that emptying the bottom of a GOOD porta potty like the Dometic 975 or 976 Sanipoptty with it's 5 gallon holding tank. Here's a link.

Portable Toilets - Dometic Corp

Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 07:03 PM   #10

Minnesota
tornado

The way the tornado works is you attach a hose to the bottom connector, open the black tank discharge, and just turn on the water. It spins and sprays getting rid of any cling ons. I run it for a couple of minutes. The tank for this unit is small.
John