Camp Chef tankless water heater anybody? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-16-2012, 07:47 PM   #15
Name: Ken
Trailer: 84BigFoot 5th 2002 travelaire 5th wheel
Originally Posted by Mike Hilliard View Post
Interesting we all have similar ideas. I purchased an L5 to replace an Atwood hot water heater that developed a leak. Then I set about installing the plumbing to replace the old system - I hung it off the outside wall in the rear of the trailer. Not being satisfied with the hoses and gas line exposed to the outside and the issue of disconnecting the water system each time I set up or broke camp I started thinking "how do I make this an indoor/outdoor system".
I have now come up with a solid system that requires nothing more than hitting a switch on the wall to ignite the hotwater tank in the wall.
I cut a hole in the outside wall to accept a stainless steel food service tray that I had the local welder fasten two brackets to and a stainless steel flange to. The L5 fits nicely inside this tub and the supply and output water are run through two holes in the bottom of this vertical system. I also ran the gas line up through the bottom and sealed all with a high temp RTV to prevent burned gas fumes from migrating into the trailer. For a door I found an old furcace door with louvers on the top and bottom and installed turn latches top and bottom to secure it closed.
Now I have a true inside/outside hot water system that never runs out of hot water (in fact its even closer to the shower now and I routed the hot and cold water lines for the sink under the trailer inside a piece of 2" thinwall conduit and back filled that with expandable foam). I built in two stop cocks to drain the lines when closing up for the winter and so far I love it.
Mike, thats great could you share some pic's? What kind of trailer do you have? thanks Ken

Ken Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 06:33 PM   #16
Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp
I am dredging this up for discussionsince I am working on the very project for my rework of the Scamp.
I have not decided how to go about installing the thing yet, On the outside is the only way I can see it done, but I am considering making a front flange of the face that can be mounted through the wall in the front in the shower area.
The front will be accessable from inside, but all of the combustion and fittings on the outside. A bezel to match the wall and a this SS sheet metal box on the outside to weatherproof it and allow combustion air in and the flue will have a 4" chimney cap to keep water out.
This will be a SS box on the front in the center of where it front window was before I filled it in with a fiberglass panel.

redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 10:26 PM   #17
Name: John
Trailer: Boler
Deep South
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Since this is for outdoor installation only, how are you going to install it? It would be nice if they offered a vent package that would allow indoor installation. The L10, which is sold on the same site, and is much more expensive, has a chimney on top that looks like it could be adaptable to a vent.
Fastair sells a model that is ventable, I recently got one for my Boler off eBay for around $80, nice unit seems well built, but I havent tested it yet as I still have to install is digital but reads Celsius instead of Fahrenheit

Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote