Can i get some floor pics for ideas/options please - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2013, 06:50 PM   #1

Name: Mark
Trailer: 13ft Scamp
Wisconsin
Can i get some floor pics for ideas/options please

We have carpet that has to go..thinking wood or? Any pics wood be cool to compare ..thanks all
Mcmarkrazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:58 PM   #2

Name: Cathy
Trailer: 1973 Love Bug '13
Florida
Registry
We are redoing a '73 egg and replaced the floor. We have had a similar conversation about our floor. Wood would be nice but I am concerned about the weight. I think we have settled on paint.

I painted an old plywood sub-floor in place that we lived about 10 years ago. I painted the ugly Formica counter-top too. You can base coat with porch or floor paint and stop there or I did decorative painting and then about 5 coats of polyurethane. The counters have lost no paint and the floor is worn. It should have been recoated with clear coat to maintain the protection.
Just an idea..
Cat futrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:01 PM   #3

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat futrell View Post
We are redoing a '73 egg and replaced the floor. We have had a similar conversation about our floor. Wood would be nice but I am concerned about the weight. I think we have settled on paint.

I painted an old plywood sub-floor in place that we lived about 10 years ago. I painted the ugly Formica counter-top too. You can base coat with porch or floor paint and stop there or I did decorative painting and then about 5 coats of polyurethane. The counters have lost no paint and the floor is worn. It should have been recoated with clear coat to maintain the protection.
Just an idea..
Great idea I have done this on a school floor where I painted and poly after and it has held up for years..just forgot about that option.thanx
Old 08-26-2013, 07:07 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Wood would be nice but I am concerned about the weight.
For wood, a glue-down cork is not heavy at all. It also looks great, wears well, and is warm under foot.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:10 PM   #5

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
...Mine is replaced with heavy-duty, water-resistant laminate. One box covers 19 square feet, 36bucks at Cosco...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG066.jpg  
Thinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:35 PM   #6

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
We used a box of bamboo we had extra from another project. Then reused some of the carpet for under the dinette. I like the painting idea but there were too many protrusion in our floor.

From carting out the roll of carpet and in the box of bamboo I can tell you there is not a lot of difference in weight.

Jason

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1404551442.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	63779
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:38 PM   #7

Registry
Jason, was the bamboo a engineered flooring, or solid wood? Laminates are usually thinner and lighter. Looks great.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-26-2013, 07:41 PM   #8

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Jason, was the bamboo a engineered flooring, or solid wood? Laminates are usually thinner and lighter. Looks great.
I laid Bamboo in my kitchen and love it but laminate ia a materail I will never use again after laying so many floors..any water gets under the laminate it will swell,split and lift.. Bamboo might be a good option but was thinking it would be too heavy ..
Old 08-26-2013, 07:58 PM   #9

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
....Recently, there are all kinds of water-resistant laminates out there. They are made from kind of plastic compound, tough and no water/moisture absorption...
Thinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:13 PM   #10

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
It's bamboo all the way through. I assume this is what passes for solid wood, though it is laid like plywood. IE; the grain criss crosses in several layers. But no partial board or other backer materials.

We laid laminate in the rental. From that experience I will not get laminate again. It's real wood floors for me.

We had an off cut I forgot about on the porch. After a couple months in Florida down pours and hot sunny days the piece was still good (though a little discolored). On the other hand we learned the hard way you have to clean up spills quick on laminate.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:27 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcmarkrazz View Post
I laid Bamboo in my kitchen and love it but laminate ia a materail I will never use again after laying so many floors..any water gets under the laminate it will swell,split and lift.. Bamboo might be a good option but was thinking it would be too heavy ..
Very true, you would have to be quite diligent to ensure that water does not get under a laminate. It would not be easy to dry out. A few members have successfully used laminates, though I have not heard any long term reports.

This is why I went glue-down with the cork. I used 4 coats of polyurethane on in, ensuring a waterproof floor. I know a couple boaters that have used it in their cabins.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGhost View Post
It's bamboo all the way through. I assume this is what passes for solid wood, though it is laid like plywood. IE; the grain criss crosses in several layers. But no partial board or other backer materials.
Yeah, bamboo is made up of layers of wood, but like yours, is solid through. Some bamboo is used in an engineered flooring material, that uses a stable thin substrate for the strength of the product, just like laminates.

We have used a fair bit of engineered wood in some of the renovations we have done, with cork being a popular choice, especially in basements. I am not really a fan of the plastic laminates that are made to look like wood. I much prefer solid wood too, just not a good choice for in our trailers.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:01 PM   #12

Name: Cathy
Trailer: 1973 Love Bug '13
Florida
Registry
Jim,
The look of the cork is beautiful. How thick is it? Does it dent or if a charp corner hit it would it tear? I have never seen a cork floor "in person" but imagine it would be comfortable to walk on.
Cat futrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:25 AM   #13
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
We used wood grained sheet vinyl flooring. Very durable and easy to clean. Hard to tell it is not real wood or laminate.

Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:33 AM   #14

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
I second Ian's method---I think it's the most sensible, easy care, camping friendly, attractive solution!
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:38 AM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Jim,
The look of the cork is beautiful. How thick is it? Does it dent or if a sharp corner hit it would it tear? I have never seen a cork floor "in person" but imagine it would be comfortable to walk on.
I used two layers of 3/16" cork, but one layer would work fine. I was just looking for some added comfort and insulation. It is a very easy to care for solution, and works and looks great in my opinion.

Like any flooring, if you were to hit it hard with something sharp, you could put a mark in it. If you were to ever cut through the polyurethane layer, it would be easy to touch up to keep waterproof. We have put a few weeks worth of use onto this floor now, and it is holding up great. If I ever wanted to freshen it up, it is just a matter of a light sanding, and a quick coat of polyurethane, about a 30 minute job. I would do it again in another trailer in a heart beat.

As a bonus, using cork is a very environmental friendly method, as cork is bark that is harvested from the trees, leaving the tree healthy and ready to produce more in a few years time.

In case you are interested in how I did it and missed the thread, here it is.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ing-58623.html
Old 08-27-2013, 09:44 AM   #16

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Here are 3 pictures of 3 different wood floating floors I installed in an Eggcamper, a Lance and an Escape. All were floating to allow for contraction and expansion with one side caulked and the other held with molding. Light oak, dark oak and cherry. The first one was installed lengthwise (do not recommend that) the second was widthwise and the last one, both ways. Pictures are both ways, cherry, lengthwise, light oak, and widthwise, dark oak. Each was about $100 for materials.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0501.JPG   DSC00785.jpg  

DSC01093.JPG  
Old 08-27-2013, 09:59 AM   #17

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
We put in Allure flooring. Looks great, and boy is it easy to keep clean!

Click image for larger version

Name:	floor_final_back.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	63795Click image for larger version

Name:	floor_final_front.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	63796
(click to embiggen)

That's all been tidied up with molding.
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:50 AM   #18

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Gary how did you attach the molding? Is it a plastic molding?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:24 PM   #19

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
Carol... it's "standard" oak trim except for the right angle on the top of the back section where it drops down to the main floor. That's an aluminum stair-edge strip that's been painted brown. The molding is nailed in with small brads that go into the flooring and underlying base floor. Where I couldn't do that due to it being steel behind (!) I just used some contact adhesive.
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:17 PM   #20

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Thanks Gary, I have been considering doing mine but the trim option/way has been holding me back as I have seen it done many different ways....
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote