Can the bag awning be longer than the awning rail? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2018, 11:04 AM   #1

Name: Jeremey
Trailer: 1978 Boler 1700
Ontario
Can the bag awning be longer than the awning rail?

I have a 1978 Boler 17' model. My current Dometic Trimline bag awning is starting to fall apart. Mainly it is the bag where it slides into the awning rail. I have contacted some suppliers and have found one which has the color I want but instead is the Carefree Campout brand. They current have 2 lengths in stock 8.5' and 10'. By buying the in stock size I save about $200! However, my awning rail is 9'. I wanted to look at getting a bigger awning so it covered the windows properly and really didn't want to go down in size (9' to 8.5').

Would the 10' awning be effective in the 9' rail or would there not be enough tension to keep the awning secure? Has anyone done this?

Thanks for any help.
Jeremey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 02:02 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: 1979 Boler1700
Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremey View Post
I have a 1978 Boler 17' model. My current Dometic Trimline bag awning is starting to fall apart. Mainly it is the bag where it slides into the awning rail. I have contacted some suppliers and have found one which has the color I want but instead is the Carefree Campout brand. They current have 2 lengths in stock 8.5' and 10'. By buying the in stock size I save about $200! However, my awning rail is 9'. I wanted to look at getting a bigger awning so it covered the windows properly and really didn't want to go down in size (9' to 8.5').

Would the 10' awning be effective in the 9' rail or would there not be enough tension to keep the awning secure? Has anyone done this?

Thanks for any help.
We have a 17' boler as well. Our awning rail is 10' and the awning is 11'. Seems to work fine.
ststefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 01:45 PM   #3

Name: Bruce
Trailer: 1975 13' Scamp
Pennsylvania
Registry
Bag Awning size

I have a 13' scamp with a 8.5' rail for my awning. I figured that I could put a larger bag awning there for basically the same reason as you. Do not be tempted to do this as I have found out the hard way. The end of the awning is 10' but it sags at the trailer side due to the fact that there is no mounting support from the 8.5 rail. Maybe your setup is different but it didn't work for me. I ordered a 10' Dometic Bag awning.
bscampin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning