Can you see me now?---New tail lights - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-31-2011, 03:07 PM   #15

Trailer: 1996 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to LaurieK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
Laurie, if I need something out of the ordinary like that, I go to the nearest truck stop... you'd be amazed what neat stuff they have there! JMHO, for what it's worth.

Froggie
Wow...I can't believe I didn't think of that....and there is one here that I pass all the time....guess I'll have to stop in there and check it out for future reference! Thanks!

Old 09-01-2011, 03:49 PM   #16

Name: Liz
Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler, 1987 & 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieK View Post
Here is a pic of one of my old taillights and now the new LED ones....what a difference! This forum is an amazing asset!!! I just wish I could get the courage to tackle bigger projects after reading about so many great mods here!!....ex: A/C...new fridge....closet organizer....tongue tool box...front dining area,,.etc., etc! A girl can dream right?!!
A girl can do more than dream! Learning new skills keeps one's brain from turning to jello. You did such a good job on the lights, pick the next project and tackle it. People here are really helpful and encouraging!

Old 09-01-2011, 09:08 PM   #17

Name: Randy
Trailer: (4) Trillium 4500, (4) Trillium 1300, (1) Scamp,(1) Burro 16'
Ardmore, Alabama
I've got 2 of the same LED tail lights if someone needs them I'll sell them both for $20.00 plus shipping..Had a scamp once and was going to put them on it but sold it first, now I'm hooked on trilliums and these want work on them so they need to go to someone who needs them......
Old 09-01-2011, 09:26 PM   #18

Name: Randy
Trailer: (4) Trillium 4500, (4) Trillium 1300, (1) Scamp,(1) Burro 16'
Ardmore, Alabama
just went down to the shed and dug them out one is missing the foam gasket but I think you could cut one out of something and make it work,I might be able to find it tomorrow with better light never know..Here pictures of what I got...
Attached Thumbnails
Tail lights1.jpg   tail lights2.jpg  

Old 09-03-2011, 01:28 AM   #19

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieK View Post
Here is a pic of one of my old taillights and now the new LED ones....what a difference! This forum is an amazing asset!!! I just wish I could get the courage to tackle bigger projects after reading about so many great mods here!!....ex: A/C...new fridge....closet organizer....tongue tool box...front dining area,,.etc., etc! A girl can dream right?!!
Laurie it looks great - I have the same lights and got as far as getting into the cramped space and cutting open the rat fur and got scared of all the wires! LOL Not to mention I saw a wire connector type I have not seen before that were not the normal twist on types to the original lights. The connectings were flat little boxs the wires had been stuck into - did yours have those type of connections? did you just cut off the wires from that connector and use the twist on cap types to reconnect? or can you re use the original connectors? Would also be intreasted in what colour wires from the trailer you connected to the 3 wires from the new lights.

I have done the closet organzier (used movable wire racks) and that was pretty easy to do. Have also cut holes in the fiberglass to added a few new doors and put a fan in the roof but the light wiring has me scared :-)
Old 09-05-2011, 05:07 AM   #20

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Cool Reply to Mike post 10

Mike, the link you provided is for standard 1157 dual filament bulb, not LED.

They should be interchangeable. Both should have a tail light lead, a stop light lead, and a ground lead.

Actually, the one in the link seems to be grounded through the base. You will have to attach the return or ground wire to it. Grounding through the body doesn't work with fiberglass bodies.

But that price! Wow! You should not have to pay more than $20 for a tail light.

You can get genuine Scamp taillights for $16 ea:

Driver Side Taillight

Passenger Side Taillight

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:48 PM   #21

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
A girl can do more than dream! Learning new skills keeps one's brain from turning to jello. You did such a good job on the lights, pick the next project and tackle it. People here are really helpful and encouraging!
Thanks Lizbeth! I will probably tackle something new soon! I most of the mods involve cutting the fiberglass and I really don't want to do that..it still looks so nice!
Old 09-06-2011, 06:57 PM   #22

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Laurie it looks great - I have the same lights and got as far as getting into the cramped space and cutting open the rat fur and got scared of all the wires! LOL Not to mention I saw a wire connector type I have not seen before that were not the normal twist on types to the original lights. The connectings were flat little boxs the wires had been stuck into - did yours have those type of connections? did you just cut off the wires from that connector and use the twist on cap types to reconnect? or can you re use the original connectors? Would also be intreasted in what colour wires from the trailer you connected to the 3 wires from the new lights.

I have done the closet organzier (used movable wire racks) and that was pretty easy to do. Have also cut holes in the fiberglass to added a few new doors and put a fan in the roof but the light wiring has me scared :-)
Thanks Carol! It really looks so much nicer now! I did just cut the black fancy connectors off the new led lights and used the twist cap type like you mentioned to connect to the scamp wiring. The wiring did confuse me a bit as I was expecting the same colors on each side; but I finally got it (I think) to work properly after many rewires and re hook ups. It wasn't easy doing that part by myself and the hardest physical part was getting to the wiring behind the water tank. Next time I will put a towel or blanket over the fiberglass seating area so it doesn't leave me bruised and so sore! (yep..getting older stinks!)

I would like to do something with my closet. Can you message me how you did your closet organizer? That area is just a wasted space for me. thanks!
Old 09-12-2011, 12:10 AM   #23

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Yup got mine done and I have a lot of bruising - unfortunatly I didnt see your post until I had made the mistake of not coving the fiberglass!! LOL

I did manage to come up with a new simple fix for the lack of licence plate lights having switched to the LED's tail lights. I was able to keep the Scamps original license plate holder and just changed the licence plate bolts out with two small LED bolt type lights - simple and works great. They are called Bolt-FX Accent Lights

Take a look at my trailer profile for photos of the wire racks - just used the racks from closet orginizers and cut them off at the back to fit the closet. I made them movable (glad I did as I have moved them up and down a few times) mounted the bars that hold the rack onto the side of the closet using bolts which I covered the exposed ends of with the same plastic caps that are on the outside rivets.
Attached Thumbnails
lightsphoto.JPG  

Tags
lights