Can you see me now?---New tail lights - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2011, 01:42 PM   #1

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Can you see me now?---New tail lights

I have a 13' Scamp that has the old style tail lights, not very bright (28 years old) during the day time.
I put some new red LED 7" round tail lights on the trailer and what a difference I should have done this sooner for safety reasons, I also have a 3rd brake light.

Bought the lights here $49.49 Red LED 7" Round Bus Truck Stop Turn Brake Tail Lights - eBay (item 110685715444 end time Sep-06-11 11:23:12 PDT)

Old lights
Click image for larger version

Name:	May 19 2011 003.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	207.0 KB
ID:	39139

New lights

Name:	july8 002.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	180.8 KB
ID:	39137

Name:	july8 004.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	39138
I used stainless steel screws to mount the lights.
As you can see from the photos, it looks like it came from the factory this way.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:50 PM   #2

Name: Tim
Trailer: 2006 Casita
New York
Kevin, Nice job. I have had the same seller bookmarked for some time now, seems they have the cheapest price I have seen anywhere. Is your 3rd light led also ? And where did you get it ? I have been putting off changing my tail's for led's as I'm doing other things right now. But I'll do it when I get a chance.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:12 PM   #3

Registry
My 3rd brake light is NOT LED.
I had this in my garage for many years.
Could look on ebay for 3rd brake light.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:10 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
and yes THEY CAN SEE YOU NOW!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:42 PM   #5

Trailer: 1996 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to LaurieK
Very nice Kevin! Thanks for sharing...I missed the Princess Auto sale and really need to upgrade for safety as well! (considering I can't find any insurance co's to insure my 96 16 ft for agreed value instead of the $800 they said it's worth by their 'books')
...just ordered them! Once I get them on I can take off the 'just in case' extra set taillights I have on the bumper! Wish I had an extra 'just in case license plate' like the one I lost on last adventure...eeeekkk! Hopefully replacement plate will arrive the same time and I will post the 'new look'!
LaurieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 11:23 AM   #6

Registry
Update
I forgot you need a License Plate Light . The LED's I bought have No provision for one.

I bought this light Click image for larger version

Name:	0165193_set.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	39187 and made a bracket for it.
Bought here-->BLAZER C461 Utility Light License Plate Car Trailer | eBay
Now totally legal.

Name:	july8 017.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	39188
Old 08-26-2011, 03:51 PM   #7

Registry
Thumbs up finally got it! ...I think!

Installed my LED lights and added license plate light as well. Had a yellow wire left over (passenger side) which I'm assuming is a back up light and is not needed anyway. Bit bruised up trying to get into the tight space back there and had some wires mixed up, but everything seems to work ok now...and it looks so much nicer and now I'm legal!
Old 08-26-2011, 05:53 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieK View Post
...and it looks so much nicer and now I'm legal!
Laurie
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:27 PM   #9

Registry
LaurieK
Good for you,I knew you could do it. Any photos?
Old 08-29-2011, 03:31 PM   #10

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13'
Oregon
Registry
Replacing '76 Scamp tail lights

I have a credit coming from Vintage Trailers.com and need to replace the tail lights on my '76 Scamp. Can someone guess as to whether or not these LED lights that have a single multi-filament (so to speak) bulb set rather than two separate bulbs wil work with the present wiring.
That's badly worded but I hope someone can advise me.

http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/Trail_Lite_No_99_Complete_Taillight_Assembly_p/vts-676.htm

Thank you
Mike L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:36 AM   #11

Registry
new LED taillight pic

Here is a pic of one of my old taillights and now the new LED ones....what a difference! This forum is an amazing asset!!! I just wish I could get the courage to tackle bigger projects after reading about so many great mods here!!....ex: A/C...new fridge....closet organizer....tongue tool box...front dining area,,.etc., etc! A girl can dream right?!!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20110830_112138.JPG   IMG_20110830_114225.JPG  

Attached Images

Old 08-30-2011, 10:35 AM   #12

Registry
Nice job.
I see you had room to put the license plate light in the center. I could not do that on mine with out moving the lights up. Then I would have the old screw holes showing.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:11 PM   #13

Registry
Thanks Kevin!! Had just enough room to put it on the el-cheapo plastic license plate holder (only one I could find in my small town!). Then attached it to the bottom screw of the tail light. Luckily the tail light had the soft foam backing and formed a nice seal around it. I won't lose this plate! It seams really solid. (my last one was wire tied to the bumper and it blew off without my even noticing after 2 camping trips.... Finally had to go back through some pictures to see when I lost it) I also filled in the leftover screw holes from the old lens. All that was the easy part! Getting to the wiring in the back was not any fun at all!! Almost wish I was taking it on the Adirondack trip this weekend!! Going to rough it in a tent instead!
Old 08-30-2011, 07:11 PM   #14

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
Quote:
Thanks Kevin!! Had just enough room to put it on the el-cheapo plastic license plate holder (only one I could find in my small town!). Then attached it to the bottom screw of the tail light. Luckily the tail light had the soft foam backing and formed a nice seal around it. I won't lose this plate! It seams really solid. (my last one was wire tied to the bumper and it blew off without my even noticing after 2 camping trips.... Finally had to go back through some pictures to see when I lost it) I also filled in the leftover screw holes from the old lens. All that was the easy part! Getting to the wiring in the back was not any fun at all!! Almost wish I was taking it on the Adirondack trip this weekend!! Going to rough it in a tent instead!
Laurie, if I need something out of the ordinary like that, I go to the nearest truck stop... you'd be amazed what neat stuff they have there! JMHO, for what it's worth.

Froggie
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:07 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
Laurie, if I need something out of the ordinary like that, I go to the nearest truck stop... you'd be amazed what neat stuff they have there! JMHO, for what it's worth.

Froggie
Wow...I can't believe I didn't think of that....and there is one here that I pass all the time....guess I'll have to stop in there and check it out for future reference! Thanks!
Old 09-01-2011, 02:49 PM   #16

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
Here is a pic of one of my old taillights and now the new LED ones....what a difference! This forum is an amazing asset!!! I just wish I could get the courage to tackle bigger projects after reading about so many great mods here!!....ex: A/C...new fridge....closet organizer....tongue tool box...front dining area,,.etc., etc! A girl can dream right?!!
A girl can do more than dream! Learning new skills keeps one's brain from turning to jello. You did such a good job on the lights, pick the next project and tackle it. People here are really helpful and encouraging!
Old 09-01-2011, 08:08 PM   #17

Trailer: One 13 ft Scamp and One 13 ft Trillium and Two Trillium 4500
I've got 2 of the same LED tail lights if someone needs them I'll sell them both for $20.00 plus shipping..Had a scamp once and was going to put them on it but sold it first, now I'm hooked on trilliums and these want work on them so they need to go to someone who needs them......
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:26 PM   #18

Trailer: One 13 ft Scamp and One 13 ft Trillium and Two Trillium 4500
just went down to the shed and dug them out one is missing the foam gasket but I think you could cut one out of something and make it work,I might be able to find it tomorrow with better light never know..Here pictures of what I got...
Attached Thumbnails
Tail lights1.jpg   tail lights2.jpg  

Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 12:28 AM   #19

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Laurie it looks great - I have the same lights and got as far as getting into the cramped space and cutting open the rat fur and got scared of all the wires! LOL Not to mention I saw a wire connector type I have not seen before that were not the normal twist on types to the original lights. The connectings were flat little boxs the wires had been stuck into - did yours have those type of connections? did you just cut off the wires from that connector and use the twist on cap types to reconnect? or can you re use the original connectors? Would also be intreasted in what colour wires from the trailer you connected to the 3 wires from the new lights.

I have done the closet organzier (used movable wire racks) and that was pretty easy to do. Have also cut holes in the fiberglass to added a few new doors and put a fan in the roof but the light wiring has me scared :-)
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 04:07 AM   #20

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Cool Reply to Mike post 10

Mike, the link you provided is for standard 1157 dual filament bulb, not LED.

They should be interchangeable. Both should have a tail light lead, a stop light lead, and a ground lead.

Actually, the one in the link seems to be grounded through the base. You will have to attach the return or ground wire to it. Grounding through the body doesn't work with fiberglass bodies.

But that price! Wow! You should not have to pay more than $20 for a tail light.

You can get genuine Scamp taillights for $16 ea:

Driver Side Taillight

Passenger Side Taillight

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lights