Canadian Winter modifications - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2013, 11:13 AM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: 17 foot boler
Alberta
Smile Canadian Winter modifications

hi all

i'm new to the forum as my wife and i just bought our first fiberglass trailer a 17 foot boler i'm not certain of the year due to some restoration/registration issues , any way my question to all of you ( which has probably been asked already) what modifications did you have to do to your trailers to use them in winter ? i put Canadian winter in the title because some people have mild winters but in most of western canada we have not so mild winters .

thanks
vette_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:23 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi David, to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here

There are lots of kind and helpful people here on the forums. I'm sure some will be along shortly to answer your question(s). I can't help, because for me and where I live, it's not the cold that's the problem... but, the WET.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:56 AM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Hello DAvid and welcome to FGRV,
There is a manufacturer located in western Canada, Escape Trailers in Chilliiwack, BC as seen here Escape Trailer Industries > Home. Anyway they make a nice unit with winterizing options like extra insulation and windows for winter use. You mention your trailer, a Boler. Perhaps you could borrow some info from Escape to make your trailer better suited for winters. Plexiglass storm windows or reflectix on the inside will help as will carpet on floor and a good propane furnace or electric heater. What model do you have and pictures would help.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:20 PM   #4

Alberta
cpaharley2008 thanks for the tips , i'm still trying to figure out which model i have , i haven't been able to figure out the year yet so that may help as for pics next time i go to where my trailer is i'll take some pics
Old 09-14-2013, 12:35 PM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by vette_boy View Post
some people have mild winters but in most of western canada we have not so mild winters .

thanks
LOL well I guess I am one of those in the real western canada that gets the mild winters Having said that as you know I dont have to travel far to know what your talking about

Besides buying a new trailer with added insulation etc from the good folks at Escape and or Bigfoot there are things you can do and those that do take their not so well insulted trailers out in the winter do. Cutting out reflectix bubble foil to fit the windows is one. Adding an extra layer of throw rugs on the floor helps. If your camping in cold weather and your freshwater tank and black tank are located inside the trailer keep doors to them open and keep the heater running in the trailer. If its *really* cold you may decide to forget about using the water tanks and the piping in the trailer at all & go with using bottle water only for your needs. Dont let water accumulate in your grey water tank and sit for more than a couple of hours - keep it drained and dump anti freeze down all your drains before bed each night. Never leave water hoses connected to the trailer in cold weather.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:54 PM   #6

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We definitely avoid winter but have frequently found ourselves in cold weather. It's usually easy to add insulation to the bottom of the trailer. We had a trailer with one under trailer tank and glued foam insulation to the tank. This same insulation could be easily added to the bottom of any wooden floor trailer. As well when we're camping in a cold place, we leave our bathroom door cracked at night and the under cabinet doors open a little.

Certainly having insulation panels for the windows and vents are a good idea.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 02:03 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Aside from everything already mentioned, if I wanted better winter comfort I would insulate the floor... from below, by adding panels of foam.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 02:38 PM   #8

Alberta
thanks all great ideas , brian where in alberta are you?
Old 09-14-2013, 03:23 PM   #9

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft Hybrid
Registry
You might also consider taking along a couple of tarps to rig up a skirt around the bottom of the Boler. They will cut the wind and create a fair dead air space and lessen the heat loss. Saving a few degrees and an insulated floor as mentioned by Brian, spells comfy.

"When a Blue Norther blows through, the only thing between here and the North Pole is a few barbwire fences" - Local Saying
HerseyBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:42 PM   #10

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Here is a simple solution for insulating your floor from the inside they are easy to cut and install and you could cover them with carpet if you don't like the look.
Norsk-Stor 240275 Multi-Purpose Foam Flooring Mats - Walmart.com
Old 09-14-2013, 07:05 PM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkman View Post
Here is a simple solution for insulating your floor from the inside they are easy to cut and install and you could cover them with carpet if you don't like the look.
Norsk-Stor 240275 Multi-Purpose Foam Flooring Mats - Walmart.com
Good idea. Harbor Freight has these quite inexpensively, too.

4 Piece Anti-Fatigue Foam Mat Set
Old 09-14-2013, 08:23 PM   #12

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Foam on top of the floor would be good, too, but it would be limited in thickness and would not be under the plumbing which runs inside the cabinets and in part directly on the floor.

David, I'm near Edmonton... where are you?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:35 PM   #13

Alberta
Brian i'm in edmonton , trailers in ryley
Old 09-14-2013, 09:16 PM   #14

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
If you have access to power an electric blanket will go a long way.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:07 AM   #15

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Foam on top of the floor would be good, too, but it would be limited in thickness and would not be under the plumbing which runs inside the cabinets and in part directly on the floor.

David, I'm near Edmonton... where are you?
Good point!
Old 09-15-2013, 07:22 AM   #16

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
IF you will be connected to power, consider heat pads for the interior floor. Toasty warm on your feet. Here's a discussion: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ing-56243.html. Steve L. uses them and is happy... see post #22. I plan on using these in my new trailer
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:27 AM   #17

Pennsylvania
Registry
As well as electric heated water supply hose Allied Precision Heated Hose (Watts: 180W) at Blain's Farm & Fleet
Old 09-15-2013, 12:15 PM   #18

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
Have seen people use 40 watt bulbs in the storage areas to keep areas from frost. That is if you have elect availible.
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:03 PM   #19

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
On our motorhomes we kept ac lightbulbs in selected storage compartments, does the job.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:05 PM   #20

Pennsylvania
Registry
The last several posts indicate something else you will need to winter camp, electricity.