Carefree of Colorado - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2014, 10:10 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Carefree of Colorado

We would like to purchase an awning for our 16 ft Scamp. Hoping some people on the forum have one, and can answer a couple of question.
Is there a model that works the best on the Scamp?
What is the width of the awning?

Thanks!
Peggy
catboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:24 PM   #2

Need to figure out how to change the "no trailer yet" to "we love our Scamp".
:-)
Old 10-13-2014, 10:34 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hummmm, you won't like my answer. But, I purchased the same awning that Casita puts on. It's a case awning and cranks out. PERFECT for me as a single traveler, no need for help, no guy wires needed. But, it was expensive and I had the awning brackets made for my Scamp. Do I regret the effort or expense? No. But YMMV

And just so you know.. it was close to $1,000.. total.

I STILL don't regret the purchase or the effort. I consider it a one-and-done. SWEET!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 06:45 AM   #4

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I am going to sit squarely on the fence on this one. My used Scamp came with the factory awning of the Era (1988) and I am glad to have it. Honestly I do not put it out on short, day or two, trips but for longer set-ups it is nice. I would not recommend one as labor intensive as this older model though. I can pull it out and stow it by myself but it takes some finesse and patience, two things I am not really noted for. If I was buying a new FGRV I would bite the bullet and have them install the nicest and easiest to use awning available, but don’t think I would go to the expense to add one to an older unit that did not already have one. I say that because there are some really nice, quickly and easily set up and taken down separate awnings out there that are pretty inexpensive. The awning on our eggs does not fit tight across the camper so rain comes down the side off the roof, and screening them (although I have not tried) does not look easy. A nice 10X10 or 12X12 quick-up (I have a 10X10 and like it) with a screen surround option would be my preference. And you could get all that for what the shipping and installation would be on a trailer mounted awning.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:44 AM   #5

Name: Drew
Trailer: 1987 Scamp 16ft, Layout 4
Minnesota
I'll echo Tim here on awnings.

When I purchased my 87 Scamp 16-er, it had a stock-style awning already installed. Boy was I excited- until it rained the first time. The gap between the awning and the camper just about defeats the purpose of having an awning attached directly to the camper. I fitted a small PVC pipe in the gap and sealed it to solve the issue. The awning does put more holes into the shell and adds another point where something could get ripped off the "egg". My wife is 5-5 and I'm 5-3, so height becomes a factor when trying to deploy/roll up the awning. It's nice, but I have yet to put it away without cussing.

We decided to purchase a covered screen room for a bit more portability and use it more than we haul out the awning.
DrewSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:02 AM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by catboat View Post
We would like to purchase an awning for our 16 ft Scamp. Hoping some people on the forum have one, and can answer a couple of question.
Is there a model that works the best on the Scamp?
What is the width of the awning?

Thanks!
Peggy
The standard size awning for a 16' Scamp is 10' - anything longer than that IMHO looks a little oversized & strange to me.

my 92 Scamp came with the Catalina/Dometic Case awning that I would not want to own again. Even though I have put it up and taken down on my own hundreds of times it can be a royal pain to do!!

I would look at the Flamma awning that Donna suggested and put on her old Scamp 16' or the 10′ Fiesta Awning that Escape uses on the 17'
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:23 AM   #7

Thanks for replies. I thought I saw a number of posts praising the Carefree Colorado, but now I can't find them. We are going to do some more research before making a decision. Any other suggestions/responses would be appreciated. Thanks
Peggy
Old 10-15-2014, 09:53 AM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by catboat View Post
Thanks for replies. I thought I saw a number of posts praising the Carefree Colorado, but now I can't find them. We are going to do some more research before making a decision. Any other suggestions/responses would be appreciated. Thanks
Peggy
The Fiesta awning I mentioned which is pretty popular here is made by Carefree Colorado.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 01:41 PM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
My fix of the gap between the awning & the trailer is a little different from Drew and Tim. I used the stick on flexible rain gutter sold at Camping World. It filled the gap perfectly, and color matched, as it comes in white or off white.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 01:38 AM   #10

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I have a 9x10 carefree on my scamp, works great. Less than 1.5 minutes to put out or in, excluding staking.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 05:37 AM   #11

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
I have a Shademaker deluxe bag awning and love it.
After three years I broke the zipper handle off and the spline had torn.
Sent the bag part back to Shademaker for repairs. They not only repaired it, they shipped it back at no charge.
Great customer service.
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:55 AM   #12

Trailer: 13 ft Boler 1986
Registry
We have a Carefree of Colorado bag awning on our 13' boler and once it's up we love it. It has the square click lock legs and I would never have any other kind. Our own awning had the twist rubber locks and they were worn out in one season.
We bought awning netting from Canadian Tire that fits around (I installed velcro on the awning as the netting already had it) plus I use clear shower curtains on the sides when it really, really rains. However, it does take two of us and some bad language to get it back into the bag!!!
We have a 10x10 Eze-up with screening and solid surround, but it just weighs more than we want to add to our travel weight.
Vivian L is offline   Reply With Quote