carpet vs laminate - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-03-2007, 07:27 PM   #29
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Thanks for the info Rob. I don't want to trash someone else's topic, so I'm sending you a PM.

Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 11:35 AM   #30
Trailer: 1975 Boler 13 ft / Ford Explorer
We are going to put laminate flooring in our trailer after putting insulation down before we lay the laminate. I always keep an eye out at our local Restore from Habitat For Humanity. I purchased the flooring for $20 and it will do the floor and the area under out table in our 13' Boler. Not a big selection in color though lol but we ended up with the light unstained maple flooring.

Cheryl Libby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 12:50 PM   #31
Name: Michael
Trailer: Amerigo & Trailmanor (popupish)
We have vinyl flooring in ours (did the same in the Boler and PlayPac). Too many places we go to have lots of sand. We're sweeping the floors out once a day as it is. With carpet it'd be a bigger hassle.

I DID however add a carpet runner that goes down the aisle. Nice on your bare toes in the morning AND you can pull it out of the trailer to shake off crud easily.

Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 03:46 PM   #32
Trailer: 1977 Boler 17 ft
We are currently negotiating the purchase of Boler but do have a 34' Motorhome with Laminate flooring. We love it and in 6 years have had no moisture problems even in BC winters.We do put a container of dryer in it in the winter (I believe it's silica ). We use a couple of small area rugs but even small stones in the tread of your running shoe don't mark it. We do wear slippers most of the time. It is sooo easy to clean.
Would definately do it again.
Neil W' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 08:30 PM   #33
Trailer: 85 Casita 16 ft and 2000 Scamp 16 ft
A few months ago I put a bamboo rug OVER the carpeting in my Scamp 16. The carpet was essentially new and I figured I could always go back if I did not like it. I found the 5x8 rug at the Sam's Club for approximately $30; only took about an hour to install. Doesn't alter the headroom much as it's only about 1/8th of an inch thick and it is only weighs 6-8 pounds. Cuts easily to fit with tin snips; so cleanly that you do not need to add trim. Sweeps/wipes and can be removed easily. We love it! So much, in fact, that I bought another for my Casita16 that I intend to rebuild at some point. Michael
Attached Thumbnails
michael harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 12:52 AM   #34
Name: Vivian
Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft ('The Pod')

The bamboo rug is very attractive. How are the strips fastened together?

Vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 08:59 AM   #35
Trailer: 85 Casita 16 ft and 2000 Scamp 16 ft

The bamboo rug is very attractive. How are the strips fastened together?

Hello Vivian,

The strips are glued to a heavy backing material and the edges are bound with nylon tape. Cut carefully the rug can be installed as one piece as shown. Once installed it can be easily removed by rolling it from the door end.

michael harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 09:30 PM   #36
Trailer: 17.5 ft and 25 ft FB Bigfoot
After reading this post I am concluding that most people do not know how to lay laminate properly. I have had it in my 17 Boler for 4 years in Calgary with winter temps down to -30C on occasion with no problem. No swelling, buckling etc.

The secret is quite simple. Lay it like you were doing on a concrete basement floor in your house. First lay a vapor barrier. I use two layers of 15 lb. roofing(tarred) felt overlapped by 50% between layers. Then lay the laminate. I would suggest that if you are searching for the cheapest laminate then that is what you will get! It is made of cheap materials, with a cheap top laminate, with inferior locking structure, etc. Leave 1/4 inch at edges for movement and expansion. I also prefer the glue together laminates because the glue provides a water tight seal between the grooves. I suggest that if you get the click, lock together you also glue the seams as well. Water on the floor is only a problem when it seeps down into the seam and gets under the top coat of laminate. I have had spills, dog mishaps, etc. I try to wipe it up immediately but that has not always happened. I still do not have any swelling.

I have abreviated how to install so if any one wants a more in depth description let me know.
Tamid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 12:05 PM   #37
Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 1976 Boler 13 ft
British Columbia
I havent heard anyone mention this yet so maybe it's not a good idea, but i plan on installing cork floor tiles. The theory is that it will be light, smooth, and insulating. If anyone has tried this and had trouble please let me know before it's too late.
cyndi H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 11:12 PM   #38
Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
I did THIS to mine last week.

I am liking it REAL well so far!

In my 13 I did the vinyl "plank" flooring mentioned earlier in this thread. It worked well too, but was cold.

This new stuff I got is warm to step on in the morning.

Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote