Carrying generator gas - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2011, 02:47 PM   #1

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Carrying generator gas

Had been having various ideas about carrying gas. Didn't want it in either the Egg Camper or in the minivan. None of those ideas about brackets of some kind on the trailer bumper or the tongue satisfied me because of the convex curve of both ends of the trailer which made pretty much impossible putting something on top of either.. Was going to get a welder neighbor to work up something when I got what, for me, seemed to be a brilliant idea. Instead of one gas can, I bought two one gallon cans and strapped them on the trailer bumper between the spare tire and the trailer body with a ratcheting strap on each can. Short enough that the curve of the trailer didn't matter. Held snugly in place and protected from being bumped from behind. Leaving Sunday for Colorado so we'll find out if it's a practical and reasonable solution.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:50 PM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
Had been having various ideas about carrying gas. Didn't want it in either the Egg Camper or in the minivan. None of those ideas about brackets of some kind on the trailer bumper or the tongue satisfied me because of the convex curve of both ends of the trailer which made pretty much impossible putting something on top of either.. Was going to get a welder neighbor to work up something when I got what, for me, seemed to be a brilliant idea. Instead of one gas can, I bought two one gallon cans and strapped them on the trailer bumper between the spare tire and the trailer body with a ratcheting strap on each can. Short enough that the curve of the trailer didn't matter. Held snugly in place and protected from being bumped from behind. Leaving Sunday for Colorado so we'll find out if it's a practical and reasonable solution.
Where are you carrying your generator? Does it have gas in it?
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:46 PM   #3

Michigan
Generator is on the generator bracket on the tongue. No gas in it.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:32 PM   #4

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Can not quite picture, are they behind the spare or adjacent? Pictures?
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:57 AM   #5

Michigan
On top of the bumper behind the spare tire, between the spare and the trailer body. Nearly unseen from the rear. Haven't taken pictures.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:10 PM   #6

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
I've been told that carrying a container of gas on the back of the trailer is like carrying a bomb. I put gas in the generator itself when I am close to my destination. I use up as much gas as possible during my camping stay and drive home with an empty -- or near empty generator.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:21 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
It's not the least bit unusual to see vehicles tooling down the road, getting to go off road and carrying cans on the back. Maybe it's a West Coast thing?
Attached Images

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator