casita cargo box - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-03-2016, 08:27 AM   #15

Name: Myron
Trailer: 19' Escape
NM
Registry
A box floor made of 3/4 plywood is probably more than strong enough, but...You must keep in mind the extra weight you would be adding to the tongue could be a really bad idea. I don't have a generator but if I did I would likely not keep it on the tongue. Think it wiser safe inside the trailer, or in my truck, for security reasons as dwell as to even out distribution of weight.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:51 AM   #16

Name: Greg
Trailer: Casita
Lemuria
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
With all the different comments on bike racks/rear boxes causing sway, how has your box worked out for that? I've got the same model and the extra storage would be nice. Also do you know the TW of your trailer, I'm at #365 loaded, full water tank and ready for the road.
Dave,
My 17'SD trailer weight and tongue weight are about the same as yours is. I even "downsized" to the 2.5 gallon (half-sized) propane tanks on the front of my trailer and still have 360# of tongue weight. In addition to the weight of the box and all the junk I carry in it, I even stand on top of it while I'm washing the roof of my trailer (I'm 240 Lbs.) My friend, another big guy, couldn't lift the trailer hitch end by hand even with me on it, so I don't think the box will affect trailer handling on a 17 footer. I tow it all over and don't even know its back there unless I look in the mirror, and I only tow with a small Nissan Frontier P/U. I do use a WDH and sway bar, but mainly to level out the load and keep from porpoising. Never had any sway problems, even when I didn't use the sway bar on short trips. Hope this helps.
Greg

Old 02-03-2016, 11:58 AM   #17

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Here is a thread on what I did to the front of my Scamp. Custom "nose cone" & storage for Scamp I am not surprised a search did not turn it up, I could not hardly find it and I knew it was there!. I have had it for several months/trips and really like this set up.

Santa (via a BBT) brought me a new Honda 2000i genny for Christmas (I was a VERY good boy last year ) and it just does fit inside the tongue box. I have no plans to actually carry it that way but might want to lock it up in there sometime.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:38 PM   #18

Name: Henry
Tennessee
I like the diamond plate cover and the angular wood cover. Wood I can do, metal, no so much. I need to cogitate on it a bit more....
Old 02-03-2016, 04:16 PM   #19

Name: Denise
Texas
My Casita SD set-up

Here's my rig. Little House Customs installed the frame-mount hitch to start me off. I have a Cargo rack on the rear with a Rubbermaid action packer storage box mounted on it (the biggest one). I carry 90 lbs of gear in it for a total weight of 145 lbs. On the tongue I installed a Stromberg-Carlson A-frame rack that holds my Honda EU3000 generator on a LowePro Locksystem. The 2 Roto-Pack 3 gallon gas containers are empty until I get to where I am going and fill one or both. My total tongue weight is 580 lbs with empty gas containers, but full generator and full propane tanks.

I also have a weight distribution hitch and the weight on the back helps off-set the tongue weight. So far, so good. 14,000 miles and pulls like a charm.
(I hope the pic works!)
Attached Thumbnails
2015 Casita SD Set-up.jpg  
Old 02-03-2016, 08:07 PM   #20

Tennessee
Denise,
Thanks For the pic and description. I will continue to work on the "generator over the tank idea". You are an inspiration.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:13 PM   #21

Name: Bill
Trailer: 1978 Scamp 13'
Oklahoma
Registry
I've been considering using one of my old large ice chests as a storage box on the front of my Scamp 13 to hold my battery, etc.

I first thought about using a aluminum pickup tool box because they are cheap, but I'm afraid that they would hit the tow auto when turning.

Bill
Old 02-03-2016, 09:29 PM   #22

Tennessee
Bill
I went to a local welder to build an over tank platform for my generator and he declined to build it for the reason that it would reduce my turning radius, as you noted.

There are many different sizes of these trailer tongue tool boxes on amazon:
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2016, 02:32 PM   #23

Name: Denise
Texas
Just as an addendum, the Stromberg-Carlson rack above my propane tanks doesn't hinder my turning radius at all. I know because I had a brain blunder out in AZ this past October when I got stuck at a dead end and had to get turned around. I popped a bar off my WDH I turned so tightly, but the rack didn't come near hitting the back corner of my Grand Cherokee! As hind-sight, I learned to release the sway bar and WDH bars before such a maneuver, which I hope to never have to do again!
Old 02-04-2016, 07:21 PM   #24

Name: Mat
Trailer: boler
Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Leski View Post
Here is my home-boy tongue box. Total cost probably $35bucks.
Love this post gives me some ideas for my cargo box i'm planning! My trim and structure will be made from birch, and the body from cedar canoe stock. I'm mounting mine to the back on angle irons (previous owner) to replace the plywood box that is rotting.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2016-01-21 at 5.19.57 PM.png   Boler w: Sunflowers.jpg  

Old 02-04-2016, 09:21 PM   #25

Name: Totie Fan
Trailer: Tote N Tarry
West Coast
Welded Cargo Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrb945 View Post
wondered if anyone had plans or advice about making a cargo box for a casita. i'm hoping that the weather co-operates long enough for me to go get the one i am buying next week; and i would like to get started on a box when i get home! all comments appreciated!!
Here's mine, it works great, I put the lights above it.
The first picture is the "after" (of course I haven't finished all the fine painting yet), the second is the "before" with a tiny bumper. It tows very smoothly and doesn't bump on inclines. I moved the spare tire to the front (last picture).
Attached Thumbnails
Totie-rear.png   DSCF7627.jpg  

DSCF8718.jpg   Totie Front.PNG  

Old 02-05-2016, 03:15 PM   #26

Name: Bill
Trailer: 1978 Scamp 13'
Oklahoma
Registry
Totie Fan, what material is it made from. and is the bottom open or made of solid material.

Bill
Old 08-15-2016, 06:59 PM   #27

Name: Mat
Trailer: boler
Manitoba
Finished mine up, just don't ask the price tag!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6921.jpg  
Old 08-15-2016, 08:17 PM   #28

Name: Linda
Kansas
gorgeous!!

Tags
casita