Casita ceiling - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2015, 12:25 PM   #1

Name: Jimmie
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Casita ceiling

I've learned so much reading the posts but I need your help to get my 85 Casita Patriot D on the road. My ceiling carpet HAS to be replaced. The factory carpet is out of my price range ($30 yard + installation). I've searched the Internet for a substitute of 1/2 foam backed carpet with no luck. I've found 1/4 in marine carpet but I've been told that's not enough for insulation and to prevent condensation. I've seen some rehabs with refleftix but I don't think that's for me. Any suggestions?
Loksi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 09:06 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome to the forum, Jimmie!

First, when you say "ceiling," do you mean just the top, or are you wanting to replace all of the carpet on the walls and ceiling?

Second, when you say "+ installation," are you planning to have someone else do the work?

Most important, what have you done to try to save the existing carpet, or what is going on that it "HAS" to go? Pictures are always helpful when seeking input on a project.

Unfortunately, replacing the shell lining is a major project for which there are no "quick, easy, and cheap" options.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 10:32 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loksi View Post
I've learned so much reading the posts but I need your help to get my 85 Casita Patriot D on the road. My ceiling carpet HAS to be replaced. The factory carpet is out of my price range ($30 yard + installation). I've searched the Internet for a substitute of 1/2 foam backed carpet with no luck. I've found 1/4 in marine carpet but I've been told that's not enough for insulation and to prevent condensation. I've seen some rehabs with refleftix but I don't think that's for me. Any suggestions?
Might try for marine carpeting remnants - 40 OZ. LUXURY MARINE CARPET

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 08:55 PM   #4

Texas
I want to replace all the carpet on walls and ceiling.The flooring will be replaced with vinyl. My trailer had been home to a huge beehive and large areas of the carpet are saturated with honey and rotten. The honey even wicked up the walls and around windows. I won't be doing the work myself but have found someone to do it.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:56 PM   #5

Texas
Thanks for the suggestion on the marine carpet. I'll see if I can find it.
Old 12-07-2015, 08:58 AM   #6

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
I want to replace all the carpet on walls and ceiling.The flooring will be replaced with vinyl. My trailer had been home to a huge beehive and large areas of the carpet are saturated with honey and rotten. The honey even wicked up the walls and around windows. I won't be doing the work myself but have found someone to do it.
What a mess! I've heard of such things, but not yet on this forum in a fiberglass trailer.

The marine carpet in the link doesn't appear to have any insulation at all, just a rubber backing.

I'm curious about your aversion to Reflectix... it is a two-layer process, of course, but by most accounts, it (and the final headliner layer) are easier to work with on the compound curves compared to the alternatives. Unlike Scamp's rat fur, marine headliner products are available from other suppliers with a more carpet-like appearance and feel.
Old 12-07-2015, 12:14 PM   #7

Texas
I really appreciate the input. I was concerned about the final appearance of the Reflectix and the added cost of installation. Not sure my carpet man would install it but the price of the Reflectix is certainly a plus. I found some marine carpet that looks like Berber for a dollar a square foot. Do you think that would work over the insulation?
Old 12-07-2015, 12:41 PM   #8

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
I really appreciate the input. I was concerned about the final appearance of the Reflectix and the added cost of installation. Not sure my carpet man would install it but the price of the Reflectix is certainly a plus. I found some marine carpet that looks like Berber for a dollar a square foot. Do you think that would work over the insulation?
Marine headliner (sometimes called hull liner) is thin and flexible, and that's what makes it practical to install over compound curved surfaces. I'm not sure what the product is you're talking about, but here's a link to what I mean:
HullBlanket Headliner Hull Liner Carpet Type - Shape Conforming
I am not recommending this supplier (having "sail" in the name probably inflates the prices considerably), just an illustration. It does look like Berber carpet, but it doesn't have a backing.

Tags
casita