Casita door knobs/sm dinette table top replaced - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2019, 05:41 AM   #1

Name: Jane and John
Trailer: 2017 Oliver Legacy Elite 2
New Hampshire
Casita door knobs/sm dinette table top replaced

I wanted to share our cabinet door knob replacement this is our 3rd fiberglass camper a 2017-17' SD and we decided we did not like the buttons that come standard on the Casita (a personal choice) so we removed them, cut a 1" dowel to 1/2 thick added wood glue and let dry overnight, drilled a hole the same size as the bolt on the new knob and painted the doors a light gray. We could have lived with the doors if they were real wood but not a picture of wood on mdf. We then attached flat 15lb magnets to the inside of the doors they seem to hold pretty well. We also customized the small dinette table top by first putting down a map with Mod podge then 2 coats of marine epoxy. It was allot of work but well worth the goal of our personal touch. We also removed the stove hood.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG957809(1).jpg   IMG957802.jpg  

IMG957804.jpg   IMG957799.jpg  

IMG957806.jpg   IMG957798.jpg  

IMG957795.jpg   IMG957808.jpg  

IMG957805.jpg  
NH-Boomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 07:32 AM   #2

Name: Sandra
Trailer: 2006 EggCamper #35
Florida
Registry
Thanks Jane and John for sharing these pictures. Nice work! Especially like the marine epoxy table

Sandy
SandyNorthFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 02:53 PM   #3

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita 17 FD
Florida
What are the other pictures? What is the contraption on the rear bumper -- a bike rack, I am guessing. Then you have to carry your spare in your tow vehicle? Please explain.

I would worry about cabinet doors being held closed only by magnets, not latches when travelling on a bumpy, winding road. I guess there is no way to tell but by experience.

Also, since you mentioned MDF, I have a word for you and others. Somehow the window next to our table in our 17 FD got left open. Water came in onto the table. The side of the MDF table got wet and swelled up terrribly. I have pressed it back together using two boards and a lot of c-clamps.

Others might avoid this problem (had the same thing happen to the board that covers the sink) by coating the edges of the MDF with some sort of sealer, like polyurethane.
GatorCasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 01:37 PM   #4

Name: Jane and John
Trailer: 2017 Oliver Legacy Elite 2
New Hampshire
Casita mods

Thanks for the advise about the window, we close all of the windows when we leave the campsite just in case, one of the things we preferred on our Scamps was the jalousie windows !!!! but they each have drawbacks.

As far as the cabinet doors go they also come with little screws that we can add if we need them once on the road and the table will get one more flood coat when we get home from out next trip,it was my first time using epoxy but I love the finished product, we are not cookie cutter people so we always customize our campers. Thanks for looking
NH-Boomers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita