Casita electrical question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2012, 05:55 AM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Virginia
Casita electrical question

Hi... I've just joined the forum, since I've just bought a 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe 2008. One of my first jobs is to install some extra wiring for 12 volts, since we like to camp without hookups and I will be using LED "bulbs".

I see one 12 volt receptacle. Is there a place where I can tap into to run a couple more 12 volt lines, e.g. for reading lights above the bed, and light on the dinette table?

I cannot find an archive or a way to search previous posts on questions like this. Can someone enlighten me? Many thanks, David
astronomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:04 AM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
If you can get access behind the 12v outlet you can tap into it. Removing the lights will give you more access to the wires and possible other locations. Just remember your draw capacity of any new outlet maybe limited and less than what you want. The ideal way is to run a dedicated, fused 12v line from the converter, if possible.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:40 AM   #3

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
David
Welcome here.
Why don't you just replace the 12volt bulbs in there right now with LED's as many of us have and call it a day?

If its not broken why fix it?

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:49 AM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I try to leave the 12 VDC accessory outlets as stand alone circuits and either splice into existing lighting circuits, or just run new wires from the converter to where I need power.

I do this because, with my luck and experience, the fuses on the 12 volt outlet circuits are the ones most often blown, either by overloading, say when you are using an inverter, or by problems with what I will call "Cheesy" quality in many 12 volt plugs. That way, if an outlet fuse is blown, you are not left in the dark trying to fix it.

As mentioned, the best way is to run new wires for new lights. However, as LED's use so little power, there usually isn't much concern about overloading existing lighting circuits if you choose to splice into them.

BTW: When I say "Splice", I mean to use regular crimp-on wiring connectors and a real crimping tool. I'm not a fan of plier type crimpers or ScotchLoc type connectors, and wire nuts are a real no-no.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:14 AM   #5

Virginia
LED lamps

I appreciate the comments and I'm really glad I discovered this forum! It was by accident.

The '08 Casita (to be delivered tomorrow!) has a neat lamp on the dinette table, and I'm pretty sure it's 110 volt. So I want to change the wiring for that to 12 volts. I gather there are adaptors from the 110 volt screw socket to the sort of base one finds on an 1156. So I will be looking for such an adaptor.

I also want to buy a three-stage charger. On my previous camper (Aliner) I replaced the cheap charger with a WFCO 3-stage charger. Do folks with fiberglass RVs do anything like that? Does anyone know what sort of charger comes in an '08 Casita? I presume it's not a 3-stage charger. Any suggestions on charger to buy? Many, many thanks! David
Old 10-19-2012, 10:17 AM   #6

Pennsylvania
Registry
You can not change a 110v lamp to a 12v by replacing the bulb. It is probably a 12v lamp that you can replace with led bulbs, it is already 12v. Randy @ Best Converter is the guru and can advise you of what you need BestConverter - Converters, Inverters, Electrical Supplies, Electronics
Old 10-19-2012, 10:19 AM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Astronomer welcome. You don't need to use the ultra large, colored font.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:21 AM   #8

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Astronomer welcome. You don't need to use the ultra large, colored font.
fixed..
Old 10-19-2012, 10:40 AM   #9

IMHO: Sorry, I consider the WFCO products to be the electronic equal to the Yugo. Yes, it's a converter, but again, in my opinion, that's about all.

Having had three out of three WFCO's fail within the first year I will no longer install them when asked. I prefer and use the Progressive Dynamics PD-4045 wih smart charger, 12 fused DC circuits and a AC dist bay big enough for 4 or more a/c circuits. Usually less than $200 on eBay. I have installed 7 with the only issue being a wire that was conneted for Canadian standards on one unit that had to be moved.

PD has been making RV boxes for a long time

Old 10-19-2012, 10:52 AM   #10

Name: Dave & Kathie
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Oregon
Registry
Hi David,
I don't know if this would be helpful but on the Casita Travel Trailer Forum you can download Gene's Casita manuel which contains the schematics for the wiring. You need to be a member.

http://www.casitaforum.com/invboard/...owners-manual/

Good luck,
Kathie

Dave and Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:53 AM   #11

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
[QUOTE="astronomer"]

The '08 Casita (to be delivered tomorrow!) has a neat lamp on the dinette table, and I'm pretty sure it's 110 volt. So I want to change the wiring for that to 12 volts. I gather there are adaptors from the 110 volt screw socket to the sort of base one finds on an 1156. So I will be looking for such an adaptor.
/QUOTE]

Unless the PO has made mods, all the lights will be 12v. At least tney are in the 09. We replaced the bulbs in strategic areas (6 of 10) with LED using the 1156 replacements ` $5 10 online.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:26 AM   #12

Virginia
great comments... thanks!!

Good comments all. It's really nice to find a forum where people actually reply and try to be helpful! I'll contribute anything I can.

Tom... thanks comments on font. I'm glad to hear about the Progressive Dynamics charger and will look into it. I wasn't very impressed with the WFCO charger I put in my Aliner, but didn't know about any others.

I'm told the lamp on the dinette table is 110 volts, but I will check it. It looked like a 110 v bulb. I will change the wiring to 12 v, and I've ordered a couple of LED 12 v replacements, but with an 1156 base... I had previous experience with those. So I will find an adaptor and that should take care of that. David
Old 10-19-2012, 11:31 AM   #13

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Jumping in and making a lot of electrical modifications might not be the best of ideas. I would suggest that you use the trailer a few times before making changes. You could have enough light without the changes or without the use of 120V. Once you determined what you really need then make the changes. However changing the 1156 blubs to LED is a good idea.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:02 PM   #14

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
I have installed 7 with the only issue being a wire that was conneted for Canadian standards on one unit that had to be moved.
Bob could you clarify what the differences are in Canadian and US wire standards? Curious as I wasn't aware there were any that would impact a new charger install.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:23 PM   #15

The difference was in how the 120VAC wire to the converter section was connected.

In U.S. it's: Main Breaker> Converter Breaker> Converter
In Canada it's: Main Breaker> Terminal Strip> Converter Breaker> Converter
Or something like that. It was at least two years ago.

When it didn't work at start up I called PD and that was the first thing they had me check. Just had to move one wire. They said that was for Canadian Apps only. In U.S. apps the terminal strip on the right side of the case isn't normally used, so I used it for an extra ground point.

Old 10-19-2012, 01:38 PM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
They said that was for Canadian Apps only. In U.S. apps the terminal strip on the right side of the case isn't normally used, so I used it for an extra ground point.
Thanks Bob, still seems a bit odd as our power supply is the same and the appliances used in Canadian built trailers all come from the same major suppliers the US trailer builders use and has been that way for many decades. :
Old 10-19-2012, 01:41 PM   #17

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Thanks Bob, still seems a bit odd as our power supply is the same and the appliances used in Canadian built trailers all come from the same major suppliers the US trailer builders use and has been that way for many decades. :
Maybe because your "hydro" is metric.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:38 PM   #18

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Maybe because your "hydro" is metric.
LOL well your right we do use the International System of Units and while I know that the US along with Burma & Liberia (as unusual an alliance as that may seem), did not adopt the same system as the rest of the world but I was pretty sure the US at least uses the same units of measure in regards to watts, voltage and ohms from the standard - or at least I thought you did.

Tags
casita, electrical