Casita Fitted Sheets - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-01-2008, 05:24 AM   #15
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
What would work even better is the waterbed sheet connectors we bought about 10 years ago online... but I searched and can't find them any more, the website is gone. Amazon has a photo and listing, but it says "not currently available".

Name:   SheetConn.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  6.5 KB

Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 08:35 PM   #16
Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Yes, exactly.

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven... --Ecclesiastes 3
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 06:53 PM   #17
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16
Ironically, this is exactly the topic I was needing today--my L.L. Bean catalog came today in the mail, making me contemplate sheets for my Scamp (just because it's in winter hibernation doesn't mean I can't plan for next summer!). I didn't have much luck with the sheet situation this summer after I bought it, since I just used the full sheets I had from the house, which didn't fit well at all. Since I'm not sure I want to mess with ordering custom sheets, I thought I'd ask around and see what size sheets people typically use for their beds. Since my 13-foot Scamp bed measures 48x78, the full flat sheet I'd been using was much too big, so I was contemplating a twin flat sheet (66x96), at least for a top sheet. That would eliminate a lot of the excess and I suppose I could hem it, if I felt like it. Do most people use a full fitted sheet and just tuck the annoying excess under the mattress? I have the same question about blankets. What size works best? In addition to not being able to live without flannel sheets (year round), I also can't live without my electric blanket. Seems like most twin-size blankets would fit a Scamp bed pretty well. But, being such a newbie, I don't have any experience here and would welcome any suggestions.

Karen - Like you, we have a 13' scamp. Our first camping trip had me robbing the linen closet, and I took 2 full size sheets for the bed. After attempting to tuck bunches of sheets under the cushions - on all sides, I realized they were way too big. When we got back, I went to walmart and picked out two twin size flat sheets (for $3 each) and a twin comforter. One flat sheet goes on the bottom as the "fitted" sheet, but we just tuck it under at both ends and the side. The 2nd flat sheet is the top sheet. In the summer, we sleep with a small fleece blanket [about the size of a throw, and about the size of the kitchen cushions]. In the winter, I add the twin comforter to the layers. Our scamp has a built in Air Conditioner in the bottom of the closet, so the light weight throw feels good in the summer. In the winter, we use a small space heater, and the comforter works well. I too like flannel sheets, but that small space heater makes it toasty warm and I don't need them.
I am one of those people on a continuous quest to improve a situation, but I think I have found the solution on the sheets, and won't continue to look.
One thing I did with another set of the same sheets: cut them up and make window curtains. The previous owner of our scamp had replaced the curtains, and every single one was about 3" too short... letting in the early morning light, and making me not want to dress in front of any side window. The new curtains were a cheap solution and cover the window much better.
Join me camping!
Sheryl M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:13 AM   #18
Name: Mary
Trailer: Escape 21; (formerly Casita LD 17 & 16)
Hey, Donna D. What you're suggesting is exactly what I do: I have a set of old waterbed sheets that are sewn together across the bottom. I never liked using them in the house very much, for the reason James gave, but they're great in the trailer. (We don't get to take the Casita out very much, so doing that laundry isn't the big deal that doing the regular household wash is.)

Mary F Fiberglass Rules!
FGRV Forum Custom Search
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 12:56 PM   #19
Trailer: 2002 13 ft Scamp
North Dakota
My mother reports that sewing the top sheet to the bottom sheet was the best thing she ever did when we went camping when I was a kid. (We had a 1972 Starcraft pop-up.)

But I'm also seriously considering ignoring a top sheet altogether and just doing a bottom sheet, then having a comforter (twin size) with a duvet cover that I can wash and not messing with a top sheet. Trying to make the Scamp bed is such a pain.
Karen B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 01:23 PM   #20
Trailer: Casita 16 ft Spirit Deluxe
Trying to make the Scamp bed is such a pain.
Agree! Our latest is using two flat sheets (twin, I think) over a mattress pad that is cut to the shape of the cushions. We like the mattress pad, as it smooths out the edge welting of the individual cushions a little, and it's still thin enough to pack away without a lot of bulk like foam. Our next plan is to try sewing the mattress pad directly to the lower sheet, and trimming off the back corners of both sheets to get rid of some of the bulk when tucking everything in. I guess we could still sew the edges of the sheets together, but it might make washing and drying a little more difficult with three layers. And I've also wondered if sewing the sheets together would make the foot area too tight without "untucking" the sheets at least a little. Any thoughts on this? I'm about ready to get out one of my new power tools, made by Husqvarna, and get at least a prototype put together for our next outing.

Parker Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:50 PM   #21
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
I got beechwood knit sheets (called modal) from JC Penney last year for our Casita. They are as soft as silk and don't get nubs like some flannel or cotton does. They are comfortable in hot and cool weather. They fit great, no wrinkles and they stay put! They remind me of the knit sheets I had for my kids cribs and bassinets years ago only these are softer.

After using these sheets through half the summer for several 3-4 day camping trips, I decided I wanted them on my bed at home and a second set for longer travels. They didn't have them anymore! I finally found them in Bed Bath and Beyond but they only come in twin and full so none for the home bed but I got my second set. I haven't solved the blanket problem, twin is too small for a couple (if one moves, all the covers go too) and most "full" also fit queen so there is some extra to deal with. One of these days, I may reduce the size of a bedspread and make fitted corners and get rid of at least the excess on the bottom.

Donna DL is offline   Reply With Quote