Casita Fitted Sheets - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-26-2008, 05:10 PM   #1

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
John and Nancy are traveling, so I'm posting this info on their behalf. Sounds good to me!

Quote:
After six long years of struggling with bed sheets (yes, we prefer a "real" bed to sleeping bags etc.), I discovered a business, about a mile from home, that custom makes bedding for any size and shape bed!! We live near several mega-motor home manufacturers, and none of those RVs have standard size beds either. The business keeps quite busy with those mega-buck customers.

I (Nancy) got a tour of the business one evening, and found out exactly what they could do for us. We purchased a flat queen sheet, John made a template of the back corners (we have a F D) and got exact measurements of the mattress. We delivered everything to the shop and in less than a week, a perfectly fitted bottom sheet was ready. Cost about $30....well spent money in my opinion!!

The business is Interior Creations (pretty snazzy for a Casita accessory place, don't you think?), located in Junction City, Oregon. Phone 541-998-6623. They have the template that John made, on file.
So, if you want real sheets on your bed... it might be worth a phone call.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 05:21 PM   #2

Trailer: 1978 13 ft Scamp
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh and they have a website too.

http://www.interiorcoachcreations.com/

Ill have to check this out, i dont mind messing with sheets but then again...

Old 10-26-2008, 05:31 PM   #3

Oregon
Quote:
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh and they have a website too.

http://www.interiorcoachcreations.com/

Ill have to check this out, i dont mind messing with sheets but then again...
Thanks for providing the link Valerie. I was thinking about making sheets like the ones for a waterbed. Where the top sheet is sewed to the bottom sheet at the foot. That way, with a fitted bottom sheet, there should be less bunching under the cushions
Old 10-26-2008, 09:08 PM   #4

Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
Yipes! Donna
I have trouble enough folding one fitted sheet when it comes out of the dryer. What would I do with two, together? I'd have them all over the place and on the floor and then have to do them over again. If you can manage them that way then I bow to you.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:59 AM   #5

Trailer: Bigfoot
Donna & James,

Perhaps instead of sewing the two sheets use velcro to attach them. Then it would be easier to wash, fold and store them.

Nita
Old 10-27-2008, 08:36 PM   #6

Oregon
Quote:
Perhaps instead of sewing the two sheets use velcro to attach them. Then it would be easier to wash, fold and store them.
Nita
Good idea! Although I don't remember the king-size waterbed sheets being that big of a problem. But what do I know, that was 20+ years ago.... and you know what "they" say about memory
Old 10-27-2008, 09:16 PM   #7

Name: April
Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983
Oregon
That is good to know! Thanks!
Old 10-28-2008, 03:19 PM   #8

Trailer: 2002 13 ft Scamp
North Dakota
Ironically, this is exactly the topic I was needing today--my L.L. Bean catalog came today in the mail, making me contemplate sheets for my Scamp (just because it's in winter hibernation doesn't mean I can't plan for next summer!). I didn't have much luck with the sheet situation this summer after I bought it, since I just used the full sheets I had from the house, which didn't fit well at all. Since I'm not sure I want to mess with ordering custom sheets, I thought I'd ask around and see what size sheets people typically use for their beds. Since my 13-foot Scamp bed measures 48x78, the full flat sheet I'd been using was much too big, so I was contemplating a twin flat sheet (66x96), at least for a top sheet. That would eliminate a lot of the excess and I suppose I could hem it, if I felt like it. Do most people use a full fitted sheet and just tuck the annoying excess under the mattress? I have the same question about blankets. What size works best? In addition to not being able to live without flannel sheets (year round), I also can't live without my electric blanket. Seems like most twin-size blankets would fit a Scamp bed pretty well. But, being such a newbie, I don't have any experience here and would welcome any suggestions.

-k

Old 10-28-2008, 07:25 PM   #9

Oregon
Right now, on the back bed of our 13' I use a full size fitted sheet with the excess tucked under and saftey pinned around a 4" memory foam matress topper that we put on top of the cushions. I eventually plan to sew elastic to make the sheets more permanently fitted when I get the motivation to sew them. I have a twin sized fitted sheet on the front bunk, but again I cut a 4" firm foam matress to fit, and the excess is again pinned under. Definitely a temporary solution. I plan to get at least one more set of sheets so we can have a spare set for emergencies or when we can't get to a washer.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:55 PM   #10

Trailer: 1981 Boler 13 ft / 2005 Dodge Caravan
Registry
Quote:
Ironically, this is exactly the topic I was needing today--my L.L. Bean catalog came today in the mail, making me contemplate sheets for my Scamp (just because it's in winter hibernation doesn't mean I can't plan for next summer!). I didn't have much luck with the sheet situation this summer after I bought it, since I just used the full sheets I had from the house, which didn't fit well at all. Since I'm not sure I want to mess with ordering custom sheets, I thought I'd ask around and see what size sheets people typically use for their beds. Since my 13-foot Scamp bed measures 48x78, the full flat sheet I'd been using was much too big, so I was contemplating a twin flat sheet (66x96), at least for a top sheet. That would eliminate a lot of the excess and I suppose I could hem it, if I felt like it. Do most people use a full fitted sheet and just tuck the annoying excess under the mattress? I have the same question about blankets. What size works best? In addition to not being able to live without flannel sheets (year round), I also can't live without my electric blanket. Seems like most twin-size blankets would fit a Scamp bed pretty well. But, being such a newbie, I don't have any experience here and would welcome any suggestions.

In our 13' Boler we have a 3'' memory foam topper on top of four inch cushions on the back dinette that is made into a permanent bed.I found that a twin size jersey sheet set I purchased at Wal mart fit perfectly. The fitted bottom sheet fits the memory foam topper giving a nice tight surface with no wrinkels and the top flat sheet has enough of an overlap to tuck in.Because they are a jersy fabric they stay put.I use a twin comforter.Seems to work great.Easy to make up and the dogs love it too......Pat
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0282.JPG  
Old 10-28-2008, 08:47 PM   #11

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT / 2004 GMC Safari
We have the trailer cushions, a 4" memory foam mattress, 2" memory foam (because it was on clearance at Bed Bath & Beyond and I couldn't resist!) plus an egg crate (foam cheapy from Walmart). All 3 fit inside the cover for the 4" memory foam. I have to say, it is the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in - better than the Hampton Inn Beds!!

I use a regular full size fitted sheet on the bottom, and unzipped sleeping bag inside a Duvet cover that we cover up with. When it's time to make up the bed, I just straighten out the bottom sheet and pull the duvet up, throw the pillows on and violia' our "Day Bed" is ready for a nap, reading, video watching or just to be our daytime couch..

Our last trip out in Southern Ohio (Hocking Hills) it went down to freezing temps at night - so I had brought along a Sunbeam electric blanket 'throw' just to put at the bottom for our feet. The sleeping bag-duvet is kinda large for the bed, but it tucks just fine. I need to make or have someone make a bedskirt or something for the underbed storage area.
Attached Thumbnails
580479115605_0_ALB.jpg  
Old 10-31-2008, 10:17 AM   #12

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry

*warning hat on*

Please do not tuck, fold, bend or otherwise kink your electric blankets! I have 3rd degree burns all over my legs from one shorting and combusting!

I have since ceased to use them, and the technology may have changed in the past 30 years, but it is generally bad form to cover them or fold them. Even letting kitty kat sleep on them can build up heat between Silvester and blanket and.. *boom*.

*Warning hat off*
Old 10-31-2008, 10:50 AM   #13

Oregon
We just got one of those 12 volt elec. blankets you are supposed to use in a car, mainly to just pre-warm the bed before we go to sleep. Do you think the 12 volt would be equally as dangerous? I am sure we will use it sparingly, since it would use our battery to run it, and it would have to be pretty darn cold too.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:49 PM   #14

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
It's great to know about the availability of custom fitted sheets. $30 doesn't seem bad, considering the convenience.

As an alternative, it might be possible to use the sheet holders advertised in ebay auction # 250125304667 . They are elastic straps, adjustable for length, with clips on either end. One at each corner.

What would work even better is the waterbed sheet connectors we bought about 10 years ago online... but I searched and can't find them any more, the website is gone. Amazon has a photo and listing, but it says "not currently available". You took the two parts of the sheet and brought them together to create a corner, then a knob was pushed against that area (the two parts together) and through a tapered hole. Connected to that was a rubbery strap leading to a large rubber or plastic "base plate" that was far enough under the mattress so your body weight held it pretty much in place. We used these on our waterbed for years and they worked great. (But then we went to a Select Comfort mattress about 3 years ago.) If I ever find a source for these again I will post it, because I think they would be just the thing for "creating" a snug, secure fitted sheet out of a flat sheet.

How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita