Casita Liberty twin beds - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2009, 09:51 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita
We now have a 17 ft Liberty Deluxe Casita and I'm designing the mod's for the twin beds and shelves and table. I've seen what Jim & Carol Upton, Maggie & Wes Rudi, and Mike & Lori Sanders did with theirs.

I would love to see some photos of how others of you have modified yours. The recent post here about that Unit on the Florida lot was interesting and kinda spawned this idea of a new thread.

So, let's see what you've done. I'll share my ideas and pictures of what I end up doing.

Thanks,

Keith
Keith Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 11:46 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
We have a 2009 Casita Liberty Deluxe and did Ruth and Dan's High Tech Bed Mod. Just returned from a ten day trip and the bed mod is fantastic. Each 'twin bed' is now 30" wide. We purchased a Calif King 4" foam mattress. Cut the mattress (with an electric knife) to the size we need.

Decided on the Calif King because we needed the length. Here are some pictures of Bill making the bed mod.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bed1.JPG
Views:	226
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	22505

Name:	Bed2.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	22506

I downloaded all the info that 'Ruth and Dan' posted about their Mod. Very important is the 3M VHB that was recommended. It cost about $65 with shipping. Bill used clear pine for the extension and then pretty much followed the direction that Dan posted.

Just returned from a trip so the bed has not been put together. Also, we have decided to make a template to 'round' the foam mattress on the right so that it fits better the Casita wall. As soon as we're done I'll post more pictures.
Anne3358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 06:43 AM   #3

Wow, Anne, that's exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. Great new ideas. Thanks for sharing.

Now, who's next?

EKW
Old 08-09-2009, 03:55 PM   #4

Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft / Honda Odyssey
We added 1x10" boards to each side, supported by screw-in legs. The boards are held in place by a few strips of velcro, making them easily removeable This gives about a 30" width to each bed.

I'm think about adding some storage at the end, and if the legs are in the way I'll just move them closer to the front.

Oh, and we have a parrot - it gets the custom table!
Attached Thumbnails
Twin_Bed_Supports_1.jpg   Twin_Bed_Supports_2.jpg  

Twin_Bed_Supports_3.jpg   Twin_Bed_Supports_4.jpg  

Twin_Bed_Supports_5.jpg   Twin_Beds.JPG  

Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:19 AM   #5

Hi again, Anne,

Can you elaborate on the 4" California King Mattress? Was it all Memory Cell foam, or just a 4 ' Topper, or what kind of foam?? I'm not clear on exactly what you bought, and maybe you can share where you bought it, too.

Thanks,

Keith
Old 08-10-2009, 10:26 AM   #6

Quote:
We added 1x10" boards to each side, supported by screw-in legs. The boards are held in place by a few strips of velcro, making them easily removeable This gives about a 30" width to each bed.

I'm think about adding some storage at the end, and if the legs are in the way I'll just move them closer to the front.
Hi Patrick, thanks for sharing your mods. I hope we get some more. I am designing some shelves for the end, too. Basically, I visualize a "column" up from the floor, with shelves that would hold baskets or pull out drawers of some kind. Wanting to keep added weight to a minimum, I will make them out of 3/8 or 1/2 inch Birch plywood and just design some way, like a net, or something to hold the "baskets" in while traveling. I'm even thinking of a pull-out shelf to provide a table top extension for Laptop or dining or game use. A pair of drawer slide extensions should give enough support, I think.

I'll post whatever I come up with and I welcome your ideas.

Keith
Old 08-11-2009, 09:18 PM   #7

For what is worth, I went over to the Casita Club site and did a search for "Twin Beds" and came up with tons of information. Even some of what has been posted here. So, I think I now have enough ideas to be TOTALLY confused.

Thanks to all who posted here.

Keith
Old 08-11-2009, 10:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Hi again, Anne,

Can you elaborate on the 4" California King Mattress? Was it all Memory Cell foam, or just a 4 ' Topper, or what kind of foam?? I'm not clear on exactly what you bought, and maybe you can share where you bought it, too.

Thanks,

Keith
Here is the link to the Serta Ultimate 4-inch Memory Foam Mattress Topper. We're very happy with the mattress. It did come with the 'foam' smell but after airing it out for a few days the smell has never returned.

I'll take some picture in the morning. It's a very solid foam ..... I would never put this on a reg mattress as a topper, you would need a step stool to get into bed.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:32 PM   #9

My husband is a cabinet maker and he used 3/4" clear pine board which weighs less then plywood. He then attached shelf brackets (using the 3M tape) to the Casita bench to help hold up the extension board. Each bed used three brackets which still allows you to store 'stuff' under the extension.

Promise ..... pictures tomorrow.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Hi again, Anne,

Thanks,

Keith
Hi Keith;
Here are the pictures I promised.

Three views of the bed:

Name:	A_TwinBed1.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	22613

Another post to follow.

Attached Thumbnails
A_TwinBed2.JPG   A_WalkWay.JPG  

Old 08-12-2009, 09:51 PM   #11

View of the brackets holding the extension board.

Name:	B_Bracket1.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	22616

One more ......
Attached Thumbnails
B_Bracket2.JPG   B_LongView.JPG  

Old 08-12-2009, 09:55 PM   #12

View of mattress. It's difficult to photograph a white surface.

Name:	C_Mattress.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	22619

Attached Thumbnails
C_LongView1.JPG  
Old 08-12-2009, 10:26 PM   #13

Thanks again Anne, Those pictures really help a lot. We are getting close to finalizing our design and I'll be sure and post what we do. I really appreciate your efforts in helping us out.

Looks great!

EKW
Old 08-12-2009, 10:57 PM   #14

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

[quote]View of mattress. It's difficult to photograph a white surface.

Attachment 22619

Now, that's another use for suspenders. And here I thought all along all they were for was to hold my trousers up......
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Thanks again Anne, Those pictures really help a lot. We are getting close to finalizing our design and I'll be sure and post what we do. I really appreciate your efforts in helping us out.

Looks great!

EKW
You're
Old 08-12-2009, 11:26 PM   #16

Quote:
Now, that's another use for suspenders. And here I thought all along all they were for was to hold my trousers up......
I think they are cheaper then suspenders .... because they are made to hold 'sheets' in place. They work very well after all the mattress is 30" wide and the sheet is 38".

Old 08-13-2009, 12:06 PM   #17

Quote:
I am designing some shelves for the end, too. Basically, I visualize a "column" up from the floor, with shelves that would hold baskets or pull out drawers of some kind. Wanting to keep added weight to a minimum, I will make them out of 3/8 or 1/2 inch Birch plywood and just design some way, like a net, or something to hold the "baskets" in while traveling. I'm even thinking of a pull-out shelf to provide a table top extension for Laptop or dining or game use. A pair of drawer slide extensions should give enough support, I think.
Yes! Sounds like a plan, and do post your creation!

BTW, check out what this guy did: http://www.casitaclub.com/forums/index.php...&hl=plywood
Old 08-13-2009, 10:00 PM   #18

Thanks Patrick, I had just found that post yesterday and was surprised to see that he had done so much of what I was thinking of. So, when I get done with ours, I'll post it. It will probably be quite a while but, hey, we never stop working on these things do we? Lot's of fun, though. I love "projects".

Later,

EKW
Old 08-30-2009, 03:52 PM   #19

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Well, we finally got the twin-bed mod's done, or at least done for now. I'm sure we will make further additions and changes but we are running out of time and energy for now. We are leaving for a trip around the middle of September. We will be at the "NOG" in Oregon so, hopefully, we'll see some of you there.

Anyway, I used some of your ideas and added 6 inch extensions to both sides and attached them with double sticky tape. I used Heavy duty tape that I bought at LOWES for around $5 per roll and we'll see how long it lasts. If the ledges start to come loose on top, I may just run some countersunk sheet metal screws down throught the plywood into the Fiberglass. I'm not too worried about a few little holes in that area. It should always be covered or could be filled in if needed.

We bought a 60 x 80 inch slab of 4 inch open-cell foam and cut & covered mattresses with Denim. Two large cushions 28 x 66 and 2 small, rounded end pieces that were 18 x 28 inches overall. We ordered a 3 inch memory-cell topper to use but our kids ended up with it for their King-size bed. That stuff happens, eh? So, we're going to try just the foam and if needed, we'll get another topper.

I built support brackets out of some 1 inch Alder wood that I had and attached them to the underside of the extensions with 2 inch brads & Titebond Green Glue. I couldn't bring myself to pay 6 bucks each for the metal supports from LOWES.

In case you're interested, the extensions are 6 x 66 inches and the support blocks are 4 x 5 with the angle cut and I double stickied both edges and the entire 66 inch surface of the fiberglass offset ledge .

Pictures are / will be attached and questions and comments are welcomed. I forgot to take a picture of the finished mattresses but will do so soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Both_sides_done_1_sm.jpg   Both_sides_done_2_sm.jpg  

One_side_on_sm.jpg   Tape_I_used_sm.jpg  

With_new_cushions_sm.jpg  
Old 08-30-2009, 03:58 PM   #20

Great job Keith! I'm beginning to like the idea of the taped-on brackets which are off the floor, vs. my posts. May be time for a re-mod!

Tags
casita