Casita modifications.... worth it? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-09-2015, 10:27 PM   #15

Name: Matthew
Trailer: Casita
California
Really great advice. The good news is, I'm primarily a desert camper, so I tend to be in conditions where dust and dehydration are more of a concern than humidity. That said, I will certainly keep an eye on the moisture in there.... I figure I would try to cook outside as much as possible and put dehumidifying crystals in the bathroom? Like damprid or something? And pop a window when I sleep so I don't fog the place up lol.

I love those Uhauls! But I can see how the fiberglass would sweat.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:10 AM   #16

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Casita modifications.... worth it?

I spent a week at a mountain lake last summer where drought had left the roads covered in a thick layer of fine grey clay powder. It got into everything, including the rat fur inside my trailer. First thing I did when I got home was to vacuum the walls and upholstery. Because it was dry, it cleaned up nicely.

In the desert, I doubt you'll need the dehumidifying crystals, but keeping a vent or window open at night is a good idea.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:21 AM   #17

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
A camper lined with carpet, like Scamp or Casita is also quieter. Last night I was watching TV in our screen room and it started to rain. The noise of rain hitting the screen room was so loud I gave up and went in the camper and it was barely audible there. We never cook in any of our campers other than to heat up soup, or make coffee and toast and that's only when traveling. When set up on a site we cook outside under a canopy that also serves as our bike "garage"
Old 02-10-2015, 10:24 AM   #18

Name: Matthew
Trailer: Casita
California
Yeah, I would think cooking in a 13' trailer a few inches from your bed would be a fairly disgusting situation, other than maybe boiling water. I barely cook indoors in my full-size kitchen at home and usually end up using my outdoor stove/grill. I think food, in general, is meant to be cooked outside.

I've actually wondered why it's always the bathroom that's either/or and not the kitchen. I would be fine with a small trailer that had a sleeping area, side dinette, bathroom and no kitchen. But I could only find Clamshells like that-- not Fiberglass Trailers. (EDIT: I take that back.... I did see this thing on Craigslist... but it looks like the equivalent of towing a giant brick, haha... what is it?? http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/rvd/4879457827.html )

Do you guys attach your bikes to the Casita or is there a bike rack on your tow vehicle?
Old 02-10-2015, 10:50 AM   #19

Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Matthew; we removed the stove from our 13' Uhaul and converted that area to storage. The carrying bikes question is a very debatable and controversial topic. You can find several threads here about it. For us, we have successfully carried two bikes on a rear rack on the Uhaul. This trip with the Casita the bikes are in the bed of our pickup. Both the pickup and Casita are new to us this past November. We have not used the stove, but are thoroughly enjoying the side dinette and bathroom, features that the Uhaul does not have.
Old 02-10-2015, 12:08 PM   #20

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Matthew , My wife and I visited Mary & Bob one winter and got a tour of their 13 ft U Haul . We were amazed how Mary & Bob had modified their trailer . The layout made the trailer look very roomy and there was no wasted space . Their 13 ft U Haul appears to be what you are looking for . We have owned a 16 ft Scamp and a 17 ft Casita. At that size , I would probably leave the kitchen as is ,for resale if for no other reason . We seldom use our kitchen and as you prefer to cook outdoors as God intended.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:29 PM   #21

New York
Thanks for the compliment Steve. Of course now we have followed your lead and bought a 17' Casita and a Ram 1500 to pull it. Still have the Uhaul, probably will keep it, but the Casita is better for the 4 months we spend being snowbirds. And it was too good of a deal to pass up.

Tags
casita