Casita Project: 13 feet of blank canvas - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-24-2014, 07:59 PM   #15

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
I just took out the bathroom in my Compact-II and here's what I got in return:

1. A 36" wide hanging closet vs the 10" wide one originally included.
2. A 36" x 24" storage shelf
3. Four (count em' 4) more 12" x 18" x 8" high storage shelves for clothing, food etc
4. A Dometic SeaLand potty with a 5 gallon holding tank on a slide out track that is easier to empty than a holding tank, and doesn't require a stinky slinky or finding a dump site to empty.
5. Storage space on each side of the slide out Dometic that can store 8 pairs of shoes etc.

We just finished 4 trips in a month and are almost overwhelmed with the improvements in camping quality provide by the additional storage space.

Given the choice between a dinky bathroom and tons of storage space, I think you will find out, after a few actual uses, that the additional storage space will win out every time.

Here's some pics of the upgrade:Hunter Mods 2014 Photos by advocateone | Photobucket

Old 08-25-2014, 11:22 AM   #16

Name: Michael
Trailer: 13' Casita
Georgia - USA
Bob, I like it!! That is about the way I want to go. Is this a pull-out table in your first picture?

Old 08-25-2014, 04:47 PM   #17

Georgia - USA
After reading through the instructions, let's try this again with the pictures
Attached Thumbnails
2 Casita 18.jpg   2 Casita 21.jpg  

Old 08-25-2014, 05:30 PM   #18

California
Pull Out Table

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Swiss View Post
Bob, I like it!! That is about the way I want to go. Is this a pull-out table in your first picture?
Yes it is and it serves as a food prep table, dining table for two, and a bedside snack table as required.

It's a section of IKEA countertop left over from the kitchen counter project, mounted on drawer slides. BTW: I had to remove the refrigerator to craft the install.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:42 PM   #19

Name: Lora
Trailer: 89 Bigfoot 17G & 73 Compact II
Northern Neck, VA
Registry
Bob, It looks like you set up with a mattress going side-to-side and have a small table between the mattress and the rest of the trailer. Am I seeing that right?
Old 08-25-2014, 05:58 PM   #20

California
Yes, what I actually have is a shortened IKEA (steel edged) futon mattress that is actually two pieces permanently joined with the fabric covering. That way I can easily flip up 1/2 of the mattress onto the other half and put the 1/2 length table into place as a dinette when needed.

FWIW: Shortening a spring steel edged mattress is a bear. I wound up cutting the edge, overlapping the pieces and installing some custom made clamps to hold it together. Been fine for about 2 years now.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:52 PM   #21

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Only decent tool I ever found for cutting spring steel bed frames was a 4 inch grinder and cut off wheel. That metal just eats hacksaw blades.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:17 PM   #22

Name: Lora
Trailer: 89 Bigfoot 17G & 73 Compact II
Northern Neck, VA
Registry
Thank you for the explanation. That's an idea that has been noodling around in my brain for a while, just couldn't think how to do it.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:44 PM   #23

California
Cutting the spring steel with a cut-off wheel was a fairly easy job. Drilling holes in it to overlap the ends and shorten the mattress is the hard part. As mentioned, I had small metal clamps, that are held in place with setscrews, custom made to hold the overlapped parts together. To know what they look like, think of those locks that stop sliding windows from being opened to far.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:47 AM   #24

Georgia - USA
I am planning on covering the walls that have been insulated with Reflectix by the previous owner with marine hull liners. Any marine hull liner experts on this forum to the front please: are there any different grades or qualities? Any special brand to go for or to avoid? Any pitfalls to avoid? Is there like a template or pattern on how to cut it or piece it together?

Thanks!
Old 09-01-2014, 08:43 AM   #25

Name: deanna
Trailer: wish I knew
Texas
I have the cabinet above the kitchen for sale if interested. I'm also redoing a 13ft deluxe.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:49 PM   #26

Name: Kathleen
Trailer: Shopping
Georgia
Camper re-do

Hi, we are in the process of re doing out Casita Standard. I might have the two sofa cushions for you. I am in SE Georgia.
Old 09-11-2014, 06:36 AM   #27

Georgia - USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovesstuff View Post
Hi, we are in the process of re doing out Casita Standard. I might have the two sofa cushions for you. I am in SE Georgia.
Kathleen, I really appreciate that. I have dibs on a set of cushions here in Atlanta; I should know by tomorrow. If that should fall through, I gladly come back to your offer.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:31 PM   #28

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Send a message via Skype™ to Night Sailor
Bob is the big Kahuna. You could not do wrong to follow his advice. Especially about the Refrigerator. Hunt around on eBay and Craiglist, one will turn up. I had a chance to bu a 5' tall, brand new, used only a few months, $1600 refrigerator for $500. Smaller ones will sell in the price range Bob mentioned.

I vote for Floor Plan 2--separate bed and dinette, although I'd favor of bathroom, 13' is a bit tight for that, it is essential for the ladies.

I suggest a single 100 watt solar panel, a 100 AH battery, and a DC system with a few outlets for USB and Cigarette lighters, and LED lights. I love my LED lights. It makes and amazing difference on a dark and gloomy night to turn all the lights on, or to simply change the pattern of lights. I use some red LED strip lights most of all. My only regret is that I didn't put these on two way switches--a future mod. Also, you can run a small inverter off the cigarette lighters. I have three USB dual outlets, and use them all.

By the way, it looks awesome behind that white Jeep! I'd consider trying to lift the trailer up a bit and making it more off road worthy. Can you put the same wheels on the camper as are on the Jeep? That would provide some redundancy. I'm thinking about doing that with my utility trailer.

Tags
casita