Casita Restoration - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-03-2012, 12:30 AM   #15

Name: Jodi
Trailer: 1989 Casita
California
Looks like we are at about the same place. We're stilling scraping the glue off the walls.... But the end is in sight. All of the holes are filled and now we are reinforcing the ceiling. We're looking into installing a small solar panel in front of the ceiling vent. We are also looking at an insulation that can be glued to the walls instead of the foam. We have purchased vinyl fabric to cover the ceiling and walls. (light cream for the ceiling and a darker cream/ tan for the walls. ). The insulation has a smooth side that will easily hold the adhesive for the vinyl fabric. The plan is to install LED strip lighting on the seam of the two fabrics.
We are taking our old back window to the local glass shop to see if he can replace e glass and make it a slider opening window. The other windows look okay, just in need of new rubber seals.
More to come!

Old 06-03-2012, 08:30 AM   #16

Name: James
Trailer: 86' Casita 13'
Colorado
Glue scraping

Jodi,

What are you guys using for the glue scraping? I used a paint scraper to remove the foam, but it doesn't seem all that effective at removing the glue.

Old 06-03-2012, 12:31 PM   #17

California
We've used a heat gun, a chisel, putty knife, razor blade scrapper... and a lot of muscle work. The heat gun is great, but a bit smelly and you still have to scrape stuff off.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:32 AM   #18

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesguest
Jodi,

What are you guys using for the glue scraping? I used a paint scraper to remove the foam, but it doesn't seem all that effective at removing the glue.
Hey James,

Just wondering how your Casita is coming along?
We're finally to the point of putting everything together. We scraped the carpet off, repaired all the holes, reprinted the outside, added some cool retro-style tail lights, and insulated the interior. We found a 1/2" soft foam that is often used in boats and lined the interior. We are beginning to install new headliner and vinyl fabric on the walls. It's been re-plumbed, and an instant hot water heater added. Custom cabinets are nearly finished. We'll post the entire process in photos soon. Our goal is to be finished by early September for a maiden trip.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:36 AM   #19

Name: James
Trailer: 86' Casita 13'
Colorado
In a holding pattern right now. We have a baby due in few weeks and I've been diverted to some house projects. The shell is completely stripped down and I intend on getting back on it this fall. Good on you guys for sticking to it.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:04 AM   #20

Name: Laurie
Trailer: 13 Trillium
Alberta
Registry
Just a thought....

You guys amaze me! Just reading through your thread and wondered how your search for a new window was going. You had mentioned that you may not be able to get that size of window anymore, and since you are repairing fiberglass anyway, can you make the opening smaller? To fit a standard window they make now? By the way, can't wait to see your pics!
Old 09-07-2012, 03:02 PM   #21

Name: Lanny
Trailer: Wally Byam Holiday
Georgia
Hey James, Back in 02 I did a complete frame off of an 86 Casita and posted a pretty detailed log of the process.
I don't think it's still an active page but here is one link I found.
86 Casita 16'

I have ll the posted picts somewhere on an old HD. If there is anything in particular you want,let me know. I went through everything you are about to do and it was all worth it.

I paid $600 for it and sold it 8 years later for $10,000.
I'm sorry I did. I miss it terribly.
Attached Thumbnails
carpet&rottenwood backSM.jpg   1sttogo.jpg  

rusted hinges close up.jpg   stripped out w air cond.jpg  

nwstbses.jpg   shlnblks.jpg  

SndTrl2.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 09-08-2012, 12:58 AM   #22

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhanna
You guys amaze me! Just reading through your thread and wondered how your search for a new window was going. You had mentioned that you may not be able to get that size of window anymore, and since you are repairing fiberglass anyway, can you make the opening smaller? To fit a standard window they make now? By the way, can't wait to see your pics!
Too probably could resize the window if you are re-doing the fiberglass, but the biggest challenge will be the curves in the trailer. We were able to use all of our original windows. As our remodel continues, we discovered that our little Cassita was barely used. The stove, sink, and shower have never been used. We've cleaned them up, painted them to match our new kitchen and will be reinstalling them soon.
Our biggest challenge has been the interior walls. We dont want the shag carpet look that was originally in the trailer, so we tried automotive fabrics. We finally found the right stuff. Can't wait to share the photos.... Hopefully soon!
Old 10-19-2012, 05:32 AM   #23

Name: dave
Trailer: castia 16ft
Kansas
waiting to see more

I am wanting to see the photos of what both of you have done. I have a 1986 and am thinking of doing the same thing as you.
I have the shag carpet and want to replace it but we are still able tocamp so i don,t want to do it yet. .
I want to explore all options before I tear it up. what kind of foam insulation and carpet did you use? also the glue what kind and brand?
I notice there is not much conversation about doing all this, so any information you guys can give is appreciated
Old 10-20-2012, 12:44 AM   #24

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave in kc
I am wanting to see the photos of what both of you have done. I have a 1986 and am thinking of doing the same thing as you.
I have the shag carpet and want to replace it but we are still able tocamp so i don,t want to do it yet. .
I want to explore all options before I tear it up. what kind of foam insulation and carpet did you use? also the glue what kind and brand?
I notice there is not much conversation about doing all this, so any information you guys can give is appreciated
We are completing our Casita this weekend do we can take it on it's maiden voyage next week to the Lake Casita's Rally. Promise to have photos up this weekend. And details of the renovation.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:15 PM   #25

Name: Lanny
Trailer: Wally Byam Holiday
Georgia
Dave, I'll be glad to look up those photos for you but it's going to be a few weeks. I'm headed to Fla for the next couple of weeks. I will be a part of the "Vintage Village" at the Good Sam rally at the Daytona Speedway. There are twenty vintage rigs but unfortunately not a fiberglass represented in the bunch!
Lanny
Some cool trailers & RVs though:
1912 Sheepherder
1938 REO 47 Westcraft
1947 Spartan Manor
1947 Alma
1950 Airstream Liner
1953 Flying Cloud with 1953 Olds
1954 Airstream Bubble with a 52 Chevy Carryall
1954 Airstream and 1953 Buick
1955 Wally Byam Holiday
1956 Beck Bus
1959 Shasta Travel Trailer and 1955 Pontiac Sation Wagon
1960 Shasta with a 1959 El Camino
1964 Corvair Greenbriar
1975 Avion
1977 GMC Motorhome
1978 Newell
Old 10-23-2012, 12:53 AM   #26

California
Just posted our completed Casita restoration on the Gallary link - Casita
Old 10-23-2012, 12:10 PM   #27

Name: Lance
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Love seeing the older Casita's saved. We bought an '87 last year and love it. The previous owner had ripped out all the carpet already and had the inside sprayed the a commercial rhino-liner type stuff (not the same but similar).

I've since re-worked a ton of things. I guess, I should post about it eventually.

-Lance M.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:36 PM   #28

California
Photos of "Restored Casita"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodi View Post
Just posted our completed Casita restoration on the Gallary link - Casita
Fiberglass RV - jodi's Albums

Tags
casita