Casita Restoration - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2012, 02:02 PM   #21

Trailer: 16 ft Casita
Hey James, Back in 02 I did a complete frame off of an 86 Casita and posted a pretty detailed log of the process.
I don't think it's still an active page but here is one link I found.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...6-a-22378.html

I have ll the posted picts somewhere on an old HD. If there is anything in particular you want,let me know. I went through everything you are about to do and it was all worth it.

I paid $600 for it and sold it 8 years later for $10,000.
I'm sorry I did. I miss it terribly.
Attached Thumbnails
carpet&rottenwood backSM.jpg   1sttogo.jpg  

rusted hinges close up.jpg   stripped out w air cond.jpg  

nwstbses.jpg   shlnblks.jpg  

SndTrl2.jpg  
Attached Images

LWEBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:58 PM   #22

Name: Jodi
Trailer: 1989 Casita
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhanna
You guys amaze me! Just reading through your thread and wondered how your search for a new window was going. You had mentioned that you may not be able to get that size of window anymore, and since you are repairing fiberglass anyway, can you make the opening smaller? To fit a standard window they make now? By the way, can't wait to see your pics!
Too probably could resize the window if you are re-doing the fiberglass, but the biggest challenge will be the curves in the trailer. We were able to use all of our original windows. As our remodel continues, we discovered that our little Cassita was barely used. The stove, sink, and shower have never been used. We've cleaned them up, painted them to match our new kitchen and will be reinstalling them soon.
Our biggest challenge has been the interior walls. We dont want the shag carpet look that was originally in the trailer, so we tried automotive fabrics. We finally found the right stuff. Can't wait to share the photos.... Hopefully soon!
jodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:32 AM   #23

Name: dave
Trailer: castia 16ft
Kansas
waiting to see more

I am wanting to see the photos of what both of you have done. I have a 1986 and am thinking of doing the same thing as you.
I have the shag carpet and want to replace it but we are still able tocamp so i don,t want to do it yet. .
I want to explore all options before I tear it up. what kind of foam insulation and carpet did you use? also the glue what kind and brand?
I notice there is not much conversation about doing all this, so any information you guys can give is appreciated
dave in kc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:44 PM   #24

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave in kc
I am wanting to see the photos of what both of you have done. I have a 1986 and am thinking of doing the same thing as you.
I have the shag carpet and want to replace it but we are still able tocamp so i don,t want to do it yet. .
I want to explore all options before I tear it up. what kind of foam insulation and carpet did you use? also the glue what kind and brand?
I notice there is not much conversation about doing all this, so any information you guys can give is appreciated
We are completing our Casita this weekend do we can take it on it's maiden voyage next week to the Lake Casita's Rally. Promise to have photos up this weekend. And details of the renovation.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:15 PM   #25

Trailer: 16 ft Casita
Dave, I'll be glad to look up those photos for you but it's going to be a few weeks. I'm headed to Fla for the next couple of weeks. I will be a part of the "Vintage Village" at the Good Sam rally at the Daytona Speedway. There are twenty vintage rigs but unfortunately not a fiberglass represented in the bunch!
Lanny
Some cool trailers & RVs though:
1912 Sheepherder
1938 REO 47 Westcraft
1947 Spartan Manor
1947 Alma
1950 Airstream Liner
1953 Flying Cloud with 1953 Olds
1954 Airstream Bubble with a 52 Chevy Carryall
1954 Airstream and 1953 Buick
1955 Wally Byam Holiday
1956 Beck Bus
1959 Shasta Travel Trailer and 1955 Pontiac Sation Wagon
1960 Shasta with a 1959 El Camino
1964 Corvair Greenbriar
1975 Avion
1977 GMC Motorhome
1978 Newell
LWEBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:53 PM   #26

California
Just posted our completed Casita restoration on the Gallary link - Casita
Old 10-23-2012, 11:10 AM   #27

Name: Lance
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Love seeing the older Casita's saved. We bought an '87 last year and love it. The previous owner had ripped out all the carpet already and had the inside sprayed the a commercial rhino-liner type stuff (not the same but similar).

I've since re-worked a ton of things. I guess, I should post about it eventually.

-Lance M.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:36 PM   #28

California
Photos of "Restored Casita"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodi View Post
Just posted our completed Casita restoration on the Gallary link - Casita
Fiberglass RV - jodi's Albums
Old 02-25-2014, 09:25 PM   #29

Name: Laureen
Trailer: Casita Liberty 16' I think?
California
You are inspiring me.....I have a 1990 Casita and I open the door look inside and close it again. The person who started to refurbish it cut all the plumbing, wiring, and propane lines so all of that will need to be replaced. They also used a carpet that was way too thick to make the corners so I found a nice flexible shag at Home Depot that comes in peel and stick tiles that are easier to work with. I think the best way to finish is to start?
DocRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:35 PM   #30

California
Don't get discouraged... We were at that point too... When you open the door... look outside of the egg and imagine what can be done without the contraints of what was there before. We'd be happy to help you along - answering questions etc....
Old 02-25-2014, 11:22 PM   #31

California
Thumbs up Decided not to sell it!

Thanks Jodi!
Someone drove by my house last weekend and saw the trailer and offered me what I paid for it and I was going to take it....but now I am remembering why I bought it in the first place and I will never find one like this again. Mine has all the fiberglass pieces and the carpet was pulled out by the guy two guys ago and he tried to put ugly grey carpet in that was too thick....and I already found a peel and stick tan shag carpet to use for most of the interior...I love the led rope light idea you did with the red on the interior. I think if I can past the rewiring and plumbing and even the new propane and sewer lines....I will have a gem.
It can be my mobile office, a spare bedroom for my grand kids, a place to stay when on a trip...lots of stuff!
I think I am going to tell the guy I decided to keep it.

Thanks again!
my Casita 1990
Old 02-26-2014, 06:06 AM   #32

Name: Jeff
Trailer: Companion
Missouri
I am in the same "egg" boat. would love to hear how the sticky backed carpet works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocRain View Post
You are inspiring me.....I have a 1990 Casita and I open the door look inside and close it again. The person who started to refurbish it cut all the plumbing, wiring, and propane lines so all of that will need to be replaced. They also used a carpet that was way too thick to make the corners so I found a nice flexible shag at Home Depot that comes in peel and stick tiles that are easier to work with. I think the best way to finish is to start?
Would love to know how the sticky backed carpet works.
Attached Thumbnails
20140214_174945.jpg  
Jeff Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:57 AM   #33

California
peel n stck carpet tiles

Hey Jeff
I am going to put on a cotton n foil insulation felt side down with spray adhesive...then the peel n stick carpet goes on the foil side...Home Depot also has a crown molding rope light rail I will use in the ceiling with textured ceiling tile.
I have to come up with a wiring schematic and pull out the fiberglass and take to my son for paint so it will be awhile....but I will let you know. I only found one carpet tile to try it with as it is thinner and more flexible.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:04 PM   #34

California
peel and stick carpet

DocRain
We tryed the route that you are going and had a colossal failure. The adhisive that Casita used reacted with the spray adhesive (3M 90) and after a couple of weeks it started to peel off. We found that we needed to scrape off the old adhesive and then we got 1/2" high density foam used in insullating boats and with a spray gun and contact cement we glued the foam to the fiberglass shell. I then used auto head liner material again glued on with spray gun and contact cement. Its been over a year and still looking good.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:13 PM   #35

California
Thanks Jodi...what's one more step. I was going to use Loc tight heavy duty adhesive...I think I will take the safer route!
Old 02-26-2014, 08:54 PM   #36

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
Coming late to the party here, but glue is something I've had to deal with. You might try some Goo Gone™ to clean off the old, existing adhesive, then you can start with a fresh surface.

Froggie
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:15 PM   #37

California
Goo gone

We tried goo gone and several other industrial adhesive removers all they did was smear it around. what worked was a sharp scraper and a lot of elbow grease. The contact cement that worked best for me was a cement used for formica counter tops.
Jim
Old 02-27-2014, 07:33 AM   #38

Name: Jeff
Trailer: Companion
Missouri
Jodi,
Did you brush the cement or spray. I would love to only do this one time.

Thanks,
Jeff
Jeff Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:52 AM   #39

California
The cement was sprayed on with an airless sprayer. Worked well and fast.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:18 AM   #40

California
Great info! Thanks Jodi!

Tags
casita