Casita Restoration - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-25-2014, 09:25 PM   #29

Name: Laureen
Trailer: Casita Liberty 16' I think?
California
You are inspiring me.....I have a 1990 Casita and I open the door look inside and close it again. The person who started to refurbish it cut all the plumbing, wiring, and propane lines so all of that will need to be replaced. They also used a carpet that was way too thick to make the corners so I found a nice flexible shag at Home Depot that comes in peel and stick tiles that are easier to work with. I think the best way to finish is to start?

Old 02-25-2014, 09:35 PM   #30

Name: Jodi
Trailer: 1989 Casita
California
Don't get discouraged... We were at that point too... When you open the door... look outside of the egg and imagine what can be done without the contraints of what was there before. We'd be happy to help you along - answering questions etc....

Old 02-25-2014, 11:22 PM   #31

California
Thumbs up Decided not to sell it!

Thanks Jodi!
Someone drove by my house last weekend and saw the trailer and offered me what I paid for it and I was going to take it....but now I am remembering why I bought it in the first place and I will never find one like this again. Mine has all the fiberglass pieces and the carpet was pulled out by the guy two guys ago and he tried to put ugly grey carpet in that was too thick....and I already found a peel and stick tan shag carpet to use for most of the interior...I love the led rope light idea you did with the red on the interior. I think if I can past the rewiring and plumbing and even the new propane and sewer lines....I will have a gem.
It can be my mobile office, a spare bedroom for my grand kids, a place to stay when on a trip...lots of stuff!
I think I am going to tell the guy I decided to keep it.

Thanks again!
my Casita 1990
Old 02-26-2014, 06:06 AM   #32

Name: Jeff
Trailer: Companion
Missouri
I am in the same "egg" boat. would love to hear how the sticky backed carpet works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocRain View Post
You are inspiring me.....I have a 1990 Casita and I open the door look inside and close it again. The person who started to refurbish it cut all the plumbing, wiring, and propane lines so all of that will need to be replaced. They also used a carpet that was way too thick to make the corners so I found a nice flexible shag at Home Depot that comes in peel and stick tiles that are easier to work with. I think the best way to finish is to start?
Would love to know how the sticky backed carpet works.
Attached Thumbnails
20140214_174945.jpg  
Old 02-26-2014, 10:57 AM   #33

California
peel n stck carpet tiles

Hey Jeff
I am going to put on a cotton n foil insulation felt side down with spray adhesive...then the peel n stick carpet goes on the foil side...Home Depot also has a crown molding rope light rail I will use in the ceiling with textured ceiling tile.
I have to come up with a wiring schematic and pull out the fiberglass and take to my son for paint so it will be awhile....but I will let you know. I only found one carpet tile to try it with as it is thinner and more flexible.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:04 PM   #34

California
peel and stick carpet

DocRain
We tryed the route that you are going and had a colossal failure. The adhisive that Casita used reacted with the spray adhesive (3M 90) and after a couple of weeks it started to peel off. We found that we needed to scrape off the old adhesive and then we got 1/2" high density foam used in insullating boats and with a spray gun and contact cement we glued the foam to the fiberglass shell. I then used auto head liner material again glued on with spray gun and contact cement. Its been over a year and still looking good.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:13 PM   #35

California
Thanks Jodi...what's one more step. I was going to use Loc tight heavy duty adhesive...I think I will take the safer route!
Old 02-26-2014, 08:54 PM   #36

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
Coming late to the party here, but glue is something I've had to deal with. You might try some Goo Gone™ to clean off the old, existing adhesive, then you can start with a fresh surface.

Froggie
Old 02-26-2014, 10:15 PM   #37

California
Goo gone

We tried goo gone and several other industrial adhesive removers all they did was smear it around. what worked was a sharp scraper and a lot of elbow grease. The contact cement that worked best for me was a cement used for formica counter tops.
Jim
Old 02-27-2014, 07:33 AM   #38

Name: Jeff
Trailer: Companion
Missouri
Jodi,
Did you brush the cement or spray. I would love to only do this one time.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 03-06-2014, 12:52 AM   #39

California
The cement was sprayed on with an airless sprayer. Worked well and fast.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:18 AM   #40

California
Great info! Thanks Jodi!

Tags
casita