Casita Restoration - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2012, 08:50 AM   #1

Name: James
Trailer: 86' Casita 13'
Colorado
Casita Restoration

I just bought a 1986 13' Casita and I think it needs to be completely gutted and restored. From what I've been reading here, it sounds as if redoing the wall carpet can be a rather daunting task, however it has to be done. I also to replace a window and the ceiling vent. Anyone have any tips for removing and replacing the rivets? Anyone have any advice all? Am I dreaming, if I think I can turn this thing around? I also have a small hole that needs to be patched, tips for that would be appreciated also. Just getting into this and I need help.
jamesguest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:04 AM   #2

Trailer: 2007 Casita
James, Congrat's! Yes, it's my understanding that removing the carpet can be daunting project. But so worth it when done! I purchased a 85 that I thought of doing the same thing. (purchased a newer verison a couple of weeks later, so the 85 became someone elses project)

But I had checked into options. Spoke with a car restorer as well as a guy who restores Airstreams. They both said it could be done and suggested different options. One option I liked was tuck and roll, like the car's from the 50's/60's. That way you get the insulation as well as a finish that is cleanable!

As far as rivets, I would suggest calling Casita, for rivet caps! I believe you can use common rivets but the caps, can be purchased through Castia.
They have a great, supply/service dept and ship quick. I even purchased a water heater from them when my blew out. (my fault ) they were cheaper than anything I could find around here. And had it at my door within a week! Can't say enough about their service dept!

Please post pic's of your project!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:06 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe and 2001 13 ft Casita Patriot Deluxe
The Casita Carpet is bonded to the foam rubber backing from the mill. Then Casita glues it to the fiberglass shell.

The carpet is 3/16" thick and the foam rubber backing is 1/2" thick.

Unless the carpet is damaged it can be cleaned. I used a carpet cleaning service to shampoo the interior of both my 13' and 17' Casitas. Cost about $ 100 to $ 150.

If the carpet is pulling away from the shell it can be reglued to the shell by using a syringe with contact cement .

Remember the carpet is installed on the entire interior of the shell before anything (cabinets, bathroom, equipment) is installed.

If you have a damaged area Casita can supply you with the carpet/foam.

Your best buy for most everything is from the Casita Factory. Do comparison shop though.

Have fun with your build.
Glen G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:22 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi James, welcome to FiberglassRV we're glad you're here.

Anything, absolutely anything can be accomplished. BUT, it stands to reason it depends on your skills, talent, budget and desires. More than one person has gotten part way through a complete rebuild and lost interest. Keep that in mind. Not trying to dissuade you, but it can be reality.

Unless the carpet is horribly stained, I'd try cleaning it first. Rent a steam carpet cleaner with upholstery attachment. Don't soak the wall carpet! If need be clean twice.

If the rivets are holding, do they just need snap caps?

How big a hole? Bolt size or a 2" round (kinda thing). Repairs will depend on what size it is...

Along with Casita, I'd suggest looking at the store here for parts: Little House Customs

Honestly, if you'd post one problem per thread in the Problem Solving forum, we're here to help you.

Have any pictures to share?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:17 AM   #5

Colorado
Thanks for the replies. I really think the wall carpet has to go. There are a number of areas where it appears black and the little camper has a very musty smell. The hole I need to fix is roughly 1 1/2". I spoke to Casita and I think they will be a very helpful.
I'll post some pics this weekend.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:50 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesguest View Post
I'll post some pics this weekend.
looking forward to those pics James!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:35 PM   #7

Trailer: Casita
Registry
This subject reminded me of something I have wondered. If the little plastic piece that the Rivet caps snap on to is broke would one have to contact Casita or are there othere suppliers of those things that one can go to?
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:52 PM   #8

Trailer: 2004 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe and 2001 13 ft Casita Patriot Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Masse View Post
This subject reminded me of something I have wondered. If the little plastic piece that the Rivet caps snap on to is broke would one have to contact Casita or are there othere suppliers of those things that one can go to?
The advantage of calling Casita is they will sell you the two pieces of the caps along with an assortment of rivets that are Casita specific.
Get 2 sets and you'll be good for years.
Glen G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:59 PM   #9

Colorado
Day 1

I tore into it today. OMG what have I gotten myself into? It needed to be done. The original OSB flooring was completely rotted out. There were a few hornets nests. There was a hornest nest inside the water tank. I think once I rip the carpet off the walls I'll need to pull the shell off the frame. There is a hole in the front. And a couple cracks in the back where the shell sits on the frame. There are multiple penetrations in the fiberglass floor as well. Here's a few shots. She's pretty good from far....... But pretty far from good.
Attached Thumbnails
Casita Restoration 001.jpg   Casita Restoration 003.jpg  

Casita Restoration 014.jpg   Casita Restoration 009.jpg  

Casita Restoration 015.jpg   Casita Restoration 007.jpg  

Old 05-26-2012, 07:36 PM   #10

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Well I am sure this is gonna be a huge project, but just post the process here and we will keep you encouraged.

Great Job!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:01 PM   #11

Name: Jodi
Trailer: 1989 Casita
California
We are in the same "boat" with the 1989 Casita we recently purchased. It looked pretty good at first glance, but the smell was overwhelming. We ripped out the carpet on the walls, removed the layers of flooring that had been installed.... And before we knew it, completely gutted the little guy.

Rather than plug all the rivet holes with those little plugs, we are filling with fiberglass and totally restoring it to better than new. Our challenges will be finding a replacement back window. Casita told us they haven't used these large arched windows for 15 years, but did provide the name of their window manufacture.

We'll post photos soon. Can't wait to get it done
jodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:56 AM   #12

Colorado
Windows

HI Jodi,
I'm in the same boat here. Are you guys replacing all of your windows? Most of mine are ok? The previous owner put a an ac unit in the back window that has to go.

I like the idea of glassing over the old holes, thought about that myself. What kind of shape were your cabinets in when you pulled them out? My sink base was altered considerably and I've got some other issues as well. I don't think I can throw them back in. Thinking about wood, but not sure if this is the best idea for a fiberglass shell and it could present some fastening challenges. I've searched around and can't find much info on this. Probably post something in problem solving.

Good luck,

Let me know if you got any pointers.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:49 PM   #13

California
Casita - a work in progress

Hi James
Our cabinets were okay - but we are totally replacing them. Any wood that was original in our Casita is rotted or moldy. We found the roof vent was probably the source of water leaks, so we've made a new frame around the vent ( with the vent removed) and fiberglasses the new frame. This strengthened the roof too. It was sagging about 2 inches. The next "anti-sag" solution is to add a small solar panel to the roof. The frame will also be fiberglassed in so it will create a very solid base and help power the Casita.

Here are a few photos of what we started with ( actually looks good to what it looks like now) and a few photos of the work in progress.
[IMG]http://i46.tinypic.com/2z4jxnr.jpg, [IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/2zoizoo.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0011.jpg   DSC_0015.jpg  

DSC_0012.jpg   photo.JPG  

Old 06-02-2012, 06:56 PM   #14

Colorado
progress

I got the carpet and foam pulled out. It took awhile. I've got some more pics here. Lots of little holes and a few big ones. I'm curious if anyone out there has done this and actually removed the remaining adhesive on the shell that was used to stick up the original carpet. Is there some product to apply to make it easier? Other wise it seems impossible.

If you look at the pictures there one showing what appears to be about 1" hole in the floor that was purposely put in there. Don't know if this was done for a particular reason, or if I should plan on filling it. if someone out there has some insight about this it would be greatly appreciated.

Finally, I'm trying to figure out what to do about the windows. The existing ones are ok, aside from the back window which the PO cut out to install an electric AC. I'm thinking about looking into replacing them, but have no idea if it's even possible or how much I can expect to spend on getting new units.

Next i'm going to start sealing up all of the holes with fiberglass and gel coat.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6700.jpg   IMG_6701.jpg  

IMG_6704.jpg   IMG_6705.jpg  

IMG_6707.jpg  
Old 06-02-2012, 11:30 PM   #15

California
Looks like we are at about the same place. We're stilling scraping the glue off the walls.... But the end is in sight. All of the holes are filled and now we are reinforcing the ceiling. We're looking into installing a small solar panel in front of the ceiling vent. We are also looking at an insulation that can be glued to the walls instead of the foam. We have purchased vinyl fabric to cover the ceiling and walls. (light cream for the ceiling and a darker cream/ tan for the walls. ). The insulation has a smooth side that will easily hold the adhesive for the vinyl fabric. The plan is to install LED strip lighting on the seam of the two fabrics.
We are taking our old back window to the local glass shop to see if he can replace e glass and make it a slider opening window. The other windows look okay, just in need of new rubber seals.
More to come!
Old 06-03-2012, 07:30 AM   #16

Colorado
Glue scraping

Jodi,

What are you guys using for the glue scraping? I used a paint scraper to remove the foam, but it doesn't seem all that effective at removing the glue.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:31 AM   #17

California
We've used a heat gun, a chisel, putty knife, razor blade scrapper... and a lot of muscle work. The heat gun is great, but a bit smelly and you still have to scrape stuff off.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:32 AM   #18

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesguest
Jodi,

What are you guys using for the glue scraping? I used a paint scraper to remove the foam, but it doesn't seem all that effective at removing the glue.
Hey James,

Just wondering how your Casita is coming along?
We're finally to the point of putting everything together. We scraped the carpet off, repaired all the holes, reprinted the outside, added some cool retro-style tail lights, and insulated the interior. We found a 1/2" soft foam that is often used in boats and lined the interior. We are beginning to install new headliner and vinyl fabric on the walls. It's been re-plumbed, and an instant hot water heater added. Custom cabinets are nearly finished. We'll post the entire process in photos soon. Our goal is to be finished by early September for a maiden trip.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:36 AM   #19

Colorado
In a holding pattern right now. We have a baby due in few weeks and I've been diverted to some house projects. The shell is completely stripped down and I intend on getting back on it this fall. Good on you guys for sticking to it.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:04 AM   #20

Name: Laurie
Trailer: 13 Trillium
Alberta
Registry
Just a thought....

You guys amaze me! Just reading through your thread and wondered how your search for a new window was going. You had mentioned that you may not be able to get that size of window anymore, and since you are repairing fiberglass anyway, can you make the opening smaller? To fit a standard window they make now? By the way, can't wait to see your pics!
lhanna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita