caulking - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-24-2012, 08:23 PM   #15

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
The windows all have what appears to be silicone around them but I wouldn't really know. Is there any way, without pulling windows out, to tell if butyl tape was used?

No, because of the caulking.

As the trailer looks lovely and didn't leak on our last six week trip even in heavy downpours, should we just leave well enough alone for now

Yes.

and simply redo the sealant around the windows until such time as we do have a problem?

IMHO Leave well enough alone. When you notice a problem, that's the time to pull the windows and reseal properly. Do NOT blob silicone or anything else around the outside of the windows (at that time). Instead, clean off all that goop then.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:27 AM   #16

Name: Bonnie and Claude
Trailer: N/A
Ontario
Registry
Thank you, Donna. I have another question for you (it may be a wee bit off-topic)...

I thought as I sifted through the renovations and modifications pages I had read a post suggesting that folks wax their trailers bi-annually with RedMax Pro. (In hindsight, with only about 7 pages of links left to review, I wish I'd thought of keeping a spreadsheet as you do.) Anyways, do you do anything other than simply wash the trailer before waxing it? Our marine paint, although done about 7 years ago, is still very shiny as the previous owner kept the Boler under a temporary garage shelter (she used the trailer three times I believe) and we keep it in an underground garage.

Thanks for all the advice you have shared on this site. It's wonderful...addictive... but wonderful!

Old 09-25-2012, 08:01 AM   #17

Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot 1981 Trailer
British Columbia
Bonnie and Claude: I posted this previously:

One thing I would like to mention is to make sure when you use Zepp Wet Floor Finish from HD, or Red Max from Lowes, is to make sure that you remove all previous wax. I used bar keepers friend and used a lot of elbow grease, then TSP, then 5 coats of the wax with a WHITE fibre cloth. Takes a lot of work, but really worthwhile. I did this on a previous rig...The RV.net.com forum has a lot of info on applying the wax, but most important is to prepare the surface.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:43 AM   #18

Ontario
Registry
Thanks, Jim. Sorry if I'm asking previously asked/addressed questions. Have been trying to get through the 50 pages of modifications and renovations (and multiple posts in each thread) but haven't kept my notes as well as I should have.

Appreciate folks sharing/re-sharing lessons learned and suggestions.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:47 AM   #19

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie and Claude View Post
T I had read a post suggesting that folks wax their trailers bi-annually with RedMax Pro. (In hindsight, with only about 7 pages of links left to review, I wish I'd thought of keeping a spreadsheet as you do.) Anyways, do you do anything other than simply wash the trailer before waxing it? Our marine paint, although done about 7 years ago, is still very shiny as the previous owner kept the Boler under a temporary garage shelter (she used the trailer three times I believe) and we keep it in an underground garage.
As your trailer was painted in the last 7 years with marine paint and is still shiny you should only need to wax it each year with a good car or marine wax - if it has a little oxidization on it a product such as 3M's Marine Restore and Wax will take it off.

RedMax Pro is a floor polish product that is commonly used as a last resort by those whose trailers are older and have lost their shine and no amount of polishing & compounding it will get it back. After about 4 or 5 years on the trailer it will need to be totally stripped off and start over..... something you will not need to do if you use regular car wax to keep the shine.

Re caulking - I am with the others - dont do it! Pull the windows and seal then using butyl tape. You will not be sorry you did
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:58 PM   #20

Ontario
Registry
3Ms Marine Restore Wax

Ooooo, thank you! The Boler has never been waxed and is nice and shiny when freshly washed. I figure it's best to use "an ounce of prevention" but didn't want to do anything to damage the lovely shiny paint.

We have marine wax for our old fiberglass boat so, as many others say, I'll [happily] use what I have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
As your trailer was painted in the last 7 years with marine paint and is still shiny you should only need to wax it each year with a good car or marine wax - if it has a little oxidization on it a product such as 3M's Marine Restore and Wax will take it off.

RedMax Pro is a floor polish product that is commonly used as a last resort by those whose trailers are older and have lost their shine and no amount of polishing & compounding it will get it back. After about 4 or 5 years on the trailer it will need to be totally stripped off and start over..... something you will not need to do if you use regular car wax to keep the shine.

Re caulking - I am with the others - dont do it! Pull the windows and seal then using butyl tape. You will not be sorry you did
Old 11-13-2013, 02:42 PM   #21

Name: Monte
Trailer: Stratus
Texas
I suggest leaving well enough alone. If the windows begin to leak...you won't be able to add more caulking of any type...if what you have now is silicone. Silicone is a lasting product...until it molds, pulls away or needs repair. you can not paint or reseal silicone without 100% removal...which is major difficulty.