Cheap 12 volt LEDs - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2011, 01:59 PM   #1

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
Cheap 12 volt LEDs

Let's try this again after last nights server issues.

About a month ago I purchased two expensive 12 volt led lights, Revolution 150's, they together cost about $41 with tax, got these at an RV store in NY. I am pleased with them and they seem to be high quality. But they were too darn expensive to invest in all my fixtures, so looking for a cheaper alternative, I took a risk on ebay from a seller in HK. The fixtures I bought below were 1157's, I could not find at the time the similar fixture in 1156, the 1157's have offset prongs but still work in a standard outlet but the 1156 are a better fit. I paid a total of $7.18 shipped and they only took about a week and a half to get here.

1157 link
68 SMD LED 1157 2057 380 Tail Stop P21W bulb WHITE 12V | eBay

1156 link
68 SMD LED 1156 382 Tail Stop P21W BA15S bulb WHITE 12V | eBay

Here is a photo of the $41 Revolution 150 lights

Here is a photo of the cheapos, they give off a bright white light at least as bright as the Revolutions

Panoz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 02:41 PM   #2

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Wow!
Do I understand you right- you're just replacing your regular bulbs in the 12v fixture?
And how many did you buy for the $7 plus change? Is that for two bulbs?

Thanks

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:45 PM   #3

Ohio
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Wow!
Do I understand you right- you're just replacing your regular bulbs in the 12v fixture?
And how many did you buy for the $7 plus change? Is that for two bulbs?

Thanks

Francesca
Yes, just replacing the bulbs, and the $7.18 was for two, the seller won't combine shipping but they are still a steal for two bulbs, $1.00 each plus $2.59 shipping each.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:52 PM   #4

Ohio
Registry
Here are some links to other bulbs from the same seller

1156 1073 T25 White 63 LED Tail Brake Stop Light Bulb | eBay

2 X 1156 White 102 SMD LED Turn Signal Light Bulb Lamp | eBay

2 Car 1156 Tail Brake White 42 SMD LED Light Bulb Lamp | eBay
Old 07-30-2011, 06:18 PM   #5

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I do not think you want to use white LED's in your tail/brake lights.
I always replaced my red tail light bulbs with red led, according to SuperbrightLED's this is the proper bulb.
read here
LED Brake Light, Turn Light and Tail Light Bulbs - Super Bright LEDs
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:08 PM   #6

Name: Tim
Trailer: 2006 Casita
New York
James, I got some of the same bulbs from what looks like the same seller. I changed all my inside fixtures over to these type of bulbs. I also used some of the ones that are double faced tapped inside the fixture too. Can't beat the price and they ship pretty quick also. Now I will work on changing out my taillights and side markers. I'm thinking about changing the whole fixture on those. Oh I also changed out my outside porch light with one of the bulbs you linked to.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:20 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wood View Post
Now I will work on changing out my taillights and side markers. I'm thinking about changing the whole fixture on those.
I seen people doing and never asked. Would you mind answering what the reason is for changing taillights and marker lights to LEDs?
Old 07-30-2011, 09:12 PM   #8

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
When "boondocking" on battery power your lights will stay lit much longer do to the lower power consumption. Also the lower power consumption taxes your converter less and the LED bulbs run cooler and last longer than incandecent bulbs.
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:22 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I haven't changed out the markers and tail lights, but it's on the "to do" list. My reason... because I can. After seeing the differences between the standard tail lights and markers with regular bulbs and LEDs... what a difference in brightness! And because I can, why not?

I think Bryon has changed everything out on the inside to LEDs or cold cathodes because he boondocks a bunch...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:34 PM   #10

Trailer: Eggcamper
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I seen people doing and never asked. Would you mind answering what the reason is for changing taillights and marker lights to LEDs?
Good question - I added a set of LED tail/brake lights to my regular tail lights because of the following:
1- LEDs are diodes, not bulbs, so they take lots of abuse on rough roads
2- Much longer lifetime, and
3- Safety - the LEDs are 4X brighter than regular bulbs so they can be seen easily in bright sunlight, fog and at night at greater distances.

I really like having all these advantages for vehicles coming at me from the rear or side. Using LEDs in the interior you still get great lighting, but use just a fraction of the battery draw and give off less heat. Hope this helps a bit.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:41 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markz View Post
When "boondocking" on battery power your lights will stay lit much longer do to the lower power consumption. Also the lower power consumption taxes your converter less and the LED bulbs run cooler and last longer than incandecent bulbs.
The taillights and marker lights are NOT powered via the trailer. The power comes from the Tow Vehicle. I agree that interior and porch light, but unless there's some overriding reason I see no need to change taillights and marker lights.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:44 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Robison View Post
Good question - I added a set of LED tail/brake lights to my regular tail lights because of the following:
1- LEDs are diodes, not bulbs, so they take lots of abuse on rough roads
2- Much longer lifetime, and
3- Safety - the LEDs are 4X brighter than regular bulbs so they can be seen easily in bright sunlight, fog and at night at greater distances.

I really like having all these advantages for vehicles coming at me from the rear or side. Using LEDs in the interior you still get great lighting, but use just a fraction of the battery draw and give off less heat. Hope this helps a bit.

In my humble opinion that's a lot of expense for very little gain. Besides the taillights and side marker lights in tow are most likely NOT LED.

FYI.. Not all diodes are created equal. If they're not ruggedized they won't last as long as incandescent. Look as some of the older truck trailers with dead LEDs.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:48 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I haven't changed out the markers and tail lights, but it's on the "to do" list. My reason... because I can. After seeing the differences between the standard tail lights and markers with regular bulbs and LEDs... what a difference in brightness! And because I can, why not?

I think Bryon has changed everything out on the inside to LEDs or cold cathodes because he boondocks a bunch...

Everything except taillights, backup lights, and marker lights. There's such a thing as too bright for taillights. So be careful when changing to LEDs some my exceed brightness limits unless they are made specifically for taillights, brake lights, and marker lights. You don't want to blind the driver behind you.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:49 PM   #14

I guess manufacturers of tugs are changing to LEDs because there's very little gain? Check out the new crop of vehicles, most have all gone to LEDs for tail lights. If you don't want to change your trailer to LEDs, then don't. The newer LEDs have a much longer life. I wouldn't compare OLDER truck trailers to anything that's been made in the last couple of years.

I'm looking to change the tail lights and markers to sealed units... waterproof. Since they're manufacturered as tail lights and markers, it's doubtful they'd be too bright for DOT.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:07 PM   #15

Trailer: Eggcamper
Registry
Byron -

Is it just me or is it time for you to move to Washington, D.C. and join the Boener team? ...Post a question - get straight answers, reject all constructive comments and conventional wisdom?

Can't speak for everyone, but next time I may hesitate to respond...

BTW - my tail lights are safely bright - not 'too bright' and they are DOT certified.

Happy trails!
Old 07-30-2011, 10:18 PM   #16

woow doggie. I think Byron asked a valid question.. why? All the lenses on my trailer are original and old. His trailer is only five years old and he keeps it spotlessly clean. So do I, but not so the previous owners.... at least not the cloudy lenses. I can, and will, only answer for MYSELF. For somewhere around $50-60 I can change everything on the outside to LEDs. Will that mean my trailer is safer to tow? Maybe not, but I can afford it and want to be seen, especially in that "just before the sun goes down" time. Pitch black, nearly any light is bright... not so late afternoon, early evening. YMMV
Old 07-31-2011, 12:30 AM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I guess manufacturers of tugs are changing to LEDs because there's very little gain? Check out the new crop of vehicles, most have all gone to LEDs for tail lights. If you don't want to change your trailer to LEDs, then don't. The newer LEDs have a much longer life. I wouldn't compare OLDER truck trailers to anything that's been made in the last couple of years.

I'm looking to change the tail lights and markers to sealed units... waterproof. Since they're manufacturered as tail lights and markers, it's doubtful they'd be too bright for DOT.
The newer vehicles also have electronic circuitry to control brightness according to ambient light. Not quite the same thing as replace incandescent with very bright LEDs.
LEDs have an indefinite theoretic life. With manufacturing flaws they don't achieve that, but the newer one last a very long time. Another reason they're using them in newer vehicles reduces copper usage. They can use smaller wire.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:31 AM   #18

Ohio
Registry
My original post had nothing to do with brake lights, I am referring to using them to replace INTERIOR bulbs, i.e. ambient light, the pros are as bright if not brighter than incandescent bulbs, whiter light, longer life, and much lower power consumption. The post I made had nothing to do with brake or turn signal lights although you could replace them as well but I won't do that unless mine start to burn out.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:44 AM   #19

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Robison View Post
Byron -

Is it just me or is it time for you to move to Washington, D.C. and join the Boener team? ...Post a question - get straight answers, reject all constructive comments and conventional wisdom?

Can't speak for everyone, but next time I may hesitate to respond...

BTW - my tail lights are safely bright - not 'too bright' and they are DOT certified.

Happy trails!

Simple answer it's you...

A bit about my background and a suggestion that you keep negative comments until you have the full story

First.. My question was to Tim as to his reasoning. I got a lot of other responses. I tried to answer each response with factual information.

Second.. My background. Retired Electronic Engineer that spent several years working with automotive electronics and electrical systems. Mainly in the heavy duty trucking. I designed several electrical parts that are now on the road in some trucks. One was an LED readout that had a light detector that dimmed the readout when it got darker. Otherwise it would blind the driver at night.

Your apology is accepted.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:45 AM   #20

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panoz77 View Post
My original post had nothing to do with brake lights, I am referring to using them to replace INTERIOR bulbs, i.e. ambient light, the pros are as bright if not brighter than incandescent bulbs, whiter light, longer life, and much lower power consumption. The post I made had nothing to do with brake or turn signal lights although you could replace them as well but I won't do that unless mine start to burn out.
Yup, and my question was originally to Tim who said he was replacing exterior lights.