Check this out NOT Poliglow...Time will tell.. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2010, 03:52 PM   #1

Trailer: One 13 ft Scamp and One 13 ft Trillium and Two Trillium 4500
Check this out NOT Poliglow...Time will tell..

I had read several post on here about Poliglow and bought some off e-bay for around $70.00 with shipping. I put 4 coats on one of my campers and I thought it really turn out great..then I found a post on a boat site where a guy said that Poliglow was the exact same thing as a floor finish..So after I bought this Trillium 1300 I'm working on I went to the local Lowes and bought a gallon jug of RED MAX PRO floor finish..The guy at the store told me it was used a lot on church floors and it really could take alot of abuse...I used the applicator I had from the Poliglow and after a really good cleaning with Bar Keepers Friend ( Dave the Trillium King told me about this product) I put 4 coats of the floor finish on..The 2 campers have been setting in the hot summer sun now for 2 1/2 months and I really think the one with the floor finish looks the best..I don't know how the products will standup over time but I will keep everyone up dated..I do know that mud and bird droppings wash off with a spray of the hose, it seams nothing really sticks to either of them..The poliglow says you need to put 1 refresher coat once a year and thats what I plan to do on the other one also..So now for pictures and I hope I can get them posted...Here are 3 of the 1300 with floor finish and the jug of finish I used..I'll post pictures of the one with poliglow in the next reply..I'm a chicken picker so it will take me a little time..
Attached Thumbnails
trillium_outside_002.jpg   trillium_outside_004.jpg  

trillium_outside_006.jpg   trillium_outside_007.jpg  

Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 04:23 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Well i have to admit that it sure looks good in the photos. Good job.
Old 07-24-2010, 04:38 PM   #3

Now for pictures of the 4500 with Poliglow...it cost around $75.00 for 32 oz. the floor finish was $15.00 for a whole gallon...Both campers were in bad shape to begin with oxidize really bad I had thought about painting them but really didn't want to go to that much of a job....The way I put both products on was I would pour the stuff in a plate and dip the applicator then applied it in thin coats..I forgot to wash out the plate once with a small amount of the floor finish in it and I'm telling you that stuff was a job to get out it dries like acrylic or something.....
Attached Thumbnails
4500_Trillium_002.jpg   4500_Trillium_003.jpg  

4500_Trillium_005.jpg   4500_Trillium_006.jpg  

Old 07-24-2010, 04:38 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Just be sure to keep the jug that has the instructions on stripping the finish off. Floor finishes need to be stripped when they start to "yellow" or peel. I'm curious to see how they stand up to UVs too. Since floor finishes are formulated for indoor and out-of-the-sunlight use.

I see you used the Poliglow applicator... what is it?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 04:39 PM   #5

I pulled the 4500 down by the 1300 so they had about the same lighting conditions....

The Poliglow applicator is a shammie wrapped around a piece of wood with a small amount of foam..I'll post a picture of it..wouldn't be hard to make one..
Old 07-24-2010, 05:05 PM   #6

Here's a picture of the applicator and as far as stripping it off I was told that paint thinner would remove it fairly easy but don't know that for sure but will find out very soon because my other trillium has 3 coats on it and then I stopped because I wanted to put decals on it that I bought..So now I will have to remove the floor finish before I put on the decals so I will let everyone know how it works....
Attached Thumbnails
applicator_002.jpg   applicator_003.jpg  

Old 07-25-2010, 11:08 AM   #7

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Donna, That was my concern when I read this post. Floor polish is apt to yellow.

I was speaking with someone at the Oregon gathering about the finish on their trailer. They used Poli-glow. That's what I'm going for. I have used the Barkeepers Friend and it works well for removing stains etc.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Donna, That was my concern when I read this post. Floor polish is apt to yellow.

I was speaking with someone at the Oregon gathering about the finish on their trailer. They used Poli-glow. That's what I'm going for. I have used the Barkeepers Friend and it works well for removing stains etc.

This is NOT a floor polish; it's some kind of finish. It smells and looks and has most of the same ingredients as Poli-glow. It states it is 20% solids and, yeah I know that people say it will yellow. That's why I thought I would be the first Guinea Pig... The guy on the boat website said he had used it on his boat, it had been 3 years with no problems. He did say he put a refresher coat each winter before he stored it, and I know that if he is storing it then it's NOT getting the full array of the elements... Only time will tell...
RANDY
Old 07-25-2010, 02:36 PM   #9

Trailer: Compact Jr
Registry
I used floor finish over 3 years ago. Put 3 coats on it the 1st year and last year I put 1 coat on it this year I have not touched it and it still looks good. Most finishes can be remover with ammonia and water, although a floor stripper and green scrub pad would be better. There is the post on using floor finish
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...37116&st=15
Rick Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 03:00 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
I think the yellowing that might happen wouldn't be a big deal on the tan color trailers. It might be a problem on the white finish trailers though. I would love our trailers to look better but don't have the energy to do a wet sanding or polish with several different grits of compound.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:16 PM   #11

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Randy,

Be sure to keep us posted. Would be interested if there happens to be any difference in the two trailers especially if they both sit out in the weather year round.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:45 AM   #12

Trailer: 77 Scamp
OWWWW my eyes it shines so bright!!!!!!! Can't wait to read the updates
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 02:16 PM   #13

Trailer: Trillium 4500 1978
before and after pics? up dates? good work.
KevinWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 08:25 PM   #14

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp
I made a post 6 months ago about my "Test Spot" with some floor stuff. The test spot still looks great.

After reading this thread I went out and bought a gallon of Red Max Pro.

All I can say is this stuff is shockingly good. The shine is unbelievable. I have a 1998 16' Scamp Deluxe.

After the first coat I wasn't sure but as you add coats it evens out. I have 2 coats on one side and 3 on the other so far. I think 4 coats will do it.

Nothing I have done has worked as well as this.

I'm very happy.
Mark G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 08:46 PM   #15

Registry
I just want to add, not all floor finishes yellow. A long time ago they did but the manufacturers keep improving the formulas of there finishes and most protect the floor very good. When was the last time you walked on your trailer finish ? Floors finishes must be able to stand up against foot traffic with dirt, rain, and salt being grinned into them by people shoes and must protect the floor from sunlight. Tile companies demand good quality finishes be used on the floors or it will void the warranty.

Because of all the interest regarding using floor finishes and removing them off the trailer I decided to try cleaning my trailer with an ammonia based window cleaner and a micro-fiber cloth, if I was correct in my decision to use window cleaner, I would take off a layer of floor finish, the surface dirt but dull the shine but leaving a base coat of finish . We do the same thing on floors, only we use a stronger detergent.

Well I was able to remove all surface dirt including the gray streaks from the windows using only a cloth. The surface did not dull a much as I thought it would. I then re-coated with a coat of finish. Before cleaning there was no yellowing or pealing after 3 years of use the finish speaks for it self.

The first picture is before washing, in fact I did not wash it since last year.

The second picture is after cleaning

The rest are after waxing
Attached Thumbnails
BEFORE WASH SMALL.jpg   after clean small.jpg  

AFTER WAXING TOP SIDE 2.jpg   AFTER WAXING SIDE 3.jpg  

AFTER WAX FRONT.jpg  
Old 08-16-2010, 04:02 PM   #16

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp
Pics.

If you look at the pic with the propane tanks you will see the total lack of reflection just under the hose storage. I have not done that area yet. That is how the entire trailer looked.

I still have some work left. The top, I am in the process of cleaning. You can see the dull area above the the front bath window

Mark G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 04:34 PM   #17

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul / 02 Mazda pick up
We just put four coats of red max on our U-haul. We made mittens out of an old towel to use as an applicator. ( rubber gloves underneath ).
Here is a picture, but the sun was at a low angle and dosn't show the sheen very well.
Attached Thumbnails
MVC-781S.JPG  
Bud Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:14 AM   #18

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul / 02 Mazda pick up
Thumbs up

I have just put four coats of red max on my U-haul. It sure makes it shine!
Attached Thumbnails
MVC-783S.JPG  
Bud Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 10:17 AM   #19

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Kennedy View Post
I have just put four coats of red max on my U-haul. It sure makes it shine!
Looking good
Old 08-23-2010, 11:26 AM   #20

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Trillium Outback
Registry
Ok, I'm convinced. Since my Trillium is creme (antique white) anyway, I don't think a little yellowing will look bad. I might try it also an a little cargo trailer I have that is bright white, but never had a gel coat, and see how that turns out.
1998 K2500 Chevy Silverado 6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4X4, ext cab, short bed
Curtis F. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
poliglow