clean water tank - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2003, 09:53 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
clean water tank

I have my little 13 footer home, I did some camping in it along the way. I love it but need the fawcet to give me liquid refreshment! I called our local Camping World and they tell me I would need to come in with the unit. I need a 12 gal tank and pump installed somewhere in my little egg. It came with the grey water tank, but no fresh water.... Any ideas on what I could do or need to say when I go to Camping World... Another woman on the road alone, I don't want to be taken advantage of... thanks Julie

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 04:39 PM   #2

Fresh Water Tank

The frest water tank in my 2000 Scamp 16 measures 12 inches tall by 12 inches deep by 20 inches long. I would bet that on your 13, this tank would fit nicely under the right-rear dinette seat, just as it does on my 16.

To install the tank, you will need to remove the dinette seat. Not a real big deal. I can send you pictures of my tank as installed under the seat if you like.

-- Dan Meyer

Old 03-24-2003, 09:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Orginally posted by Julie M
It came with the grey water tank, but no fresh water....
this sounds strange. a gray tank, but no fresh water? mine has fresh water with hand pump, but no gray or black tank. did the other owner take it out? wonder if they ordered it that way for some unusual reason.
you need a line to fill the tank and line from tank to the hand pump faucet. tanks run from 85 to 200 maybe. I haven't priced fresh tanks only gray or black. so I'm guessing. Do you have a sink?

Old 03-24-2003, 10:31 PM   #4

clean water tank

Thanks for the replies... I did go to Camping World as planned. They were also surprised to see a grey water tank and no fresh water. The opinion was: To place a 10 gallon water tank under the seat nearest the sink. I would then need a water pump, a hole in the tank for drainage, electric for the pump, and it would be necessary to cut into the seat to place the tank as the hole is small. The total to have a 10 gallon tank came to $500.00, including labor. I will not do it, way to much money for so little return. I would love to hear any more options. I will call Scamp tomorrow and ask what they would do. The person ordered this TT with grey water because of camping regulations in the state. Refused the fresh water to save money. My other thought was to find a tank of any kind able to fit into the hole under the sink, I would then order a hand pump for times when I am self-contained. The fawcet can be used for campground hookups. I would need to find someone to install the hand pump...

Old 03-24-2003, 11:04 PM   #5

Hi Julia
I think I would go to Wallmart and buy a 2--5 gal portable bluecontainers or 1 --10gal blue container.Instal under seat.Buy your water pump and some hose.You now have a cheap setup.You could also buy a nice electric pump.Total cost about 100.00US.I could do it in canada for 150.00 canadian.
Hope this give you some ideas.:wave

Old 03-25-2003, 05:50 AM   #6

Hi Julia
Ches is right, but you don't need to install the portable blue container under the seat. It can sit outside.

We took the freshwater tank out of our Trillium. I was disgusted by the fact that even once it is empty there is still a bit of water left in the bottom to go skunky. Ewwww. Yes I know you can bleach it and rinse it but.... So we took the tank and all lines out. Bought about 6' of clear plastic tubing, the size that fits the water pump. We stick the end of the tubing out through the water inlet at the side of the trailer. Then we sit the blue portable water container beside the trailer and put the end of the tube in it. We only have a hand pump (the original) and it takes about 3 pumps to get the water flowing. Blue water container about $5. cdn. Plastic tube about $7. cdn. Hand pumps are about $20. cdn. We have priced the electric pump at $35....which someday we will get but don't use the sink enough right now. So for under $50. you could do it with a hand pump. All the hand pump needs is a proper sized hole in the counter. You could easily do it yourself.

Advantages to having the tank outside and portable is that it can be easily rinsed and air dried, no skunky water sits in it. When empty just pick it up and go refill. Not having that tank under the bench gives you more storage space.

We've used this system on both our Trillium and former stick built trailer. Works like a charm with either electric or hand pumps.
Nancy

Old 03-25-2003, 08:06 AM   #7

fresh water

Julie:

Or you could:

1. Install a hand pump. Dangle a hose underneath.

2. Put a milk crate under the sink (holds 4 one gallon containers). Switch the hose from one gallon container to another. Refill the one gallon containers as needed.

*Cheap

*Clean

*Not as heavy as 2-5 gal. containers.

*Always know how much water you have on hand.

*Can store the water in car or trailer to distribute the load.

===========

P.S.:

We have the built in fresh water tank, pump, toilet, shower...but;

...choose to carry our drinking/cooking water separately (from home), in 2 liter bottles or gallon containers to assure that we know what we're drinking. No bugs, chemicals or unknown things in the system. :)

Old 03-25-2003, 11:15 AM   #8

We also use the milk crate and gallon milk jugs for our cooking-drinking water for the same reason. I run back and forth to the water supply to fill any empty bottles while my wife is preparing the meal. It's decent exercise. Then I pump a gallon or so through a Katydin ceramic filter that we also use for backpacking to make sure no bad bugs get to us. From there I top off a Pur plastic pitcher that has the charcoal filter to take the chlorine out. At that point, my tasks are done until dishwashing time.

We don't even bother with a pump for the gallon bottles. We just pour directly from the gallon bottles as needed.

Actually, I've thought several times about removing the fresh water tank, that isn't all that fresh, and the electric pump that is extra baggage and all the plumbing that takes up space in the storage areas.

Thanks for the idea!

Old 03-25-2003, 01:00 PM   #9

Julie ... after we winterize the trailer (usually for six months or so), we continue to camp all winter long, using water jugs.

Once you get the hang, it's pretty easy. And like Loren says ... good exercise filling and carrying the jugs.

Our local grocery store sells pre-filled 2.5 gallon (9.5 litre) water jugs ... in addition to the typical gallon bottles of water. The larger water jugs rest on the stove-top-cover and even have a water spout out the side ... so it's just like having a faucet!

Old 03-25-2003, 04:30 PM   #10

Julie:

Dunno where you are in Florida, but Tom's RV Salvage in Brandon will order a new tank for you right out of the book at a veryreasonable price (don't overlook just calling Scamp and getting a price; they sell all sorts of replacement stuf). A bare tank has plenty of options for mounting the vent, overflow, drain and suction lines.

My 91S13 has a 10-gallon tank mounted on the righthand (door side) of the trailer, under the side bench. The filler is mounted at the right rear corner and the drain hose and vent/overflow hose are both mounted in front of the tank, behind the wheel well. The tank has a 3/8" ID hose leading from its rear, around the inside rear of the trailer (under the wall carpet with the wires) and up to the left side (rear) of the sink, where there is a manual pump (uses no elec and wastes less water--CW carries pumps that are either manual or electric or both). On my Scamp, the city water is a separate system from the internal, and has a separate faucet on the right (front) side of the sink.

Personally, $500 is too much -- You don't need a rocket technician to do this work...

Pete and Rats

Old 03-25-2003, 04:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Orginally posted by Julie M
and it would be necessary to cut into the seat to place the tank as the hole is small. ...
[b]cut into the seat? ? ? don't those just come out , easy. Don's always talking about taking this seat out or that seat out to replace or look at something. I know ! his is a Casita, but so what. it should work. take pictures, and someone can tell you the next step. You can do this Julie [b]if you still want one.

I think I'm going to convert my frest water tank to gray and do the jug shuffle. I wasn't likeing the idea of drinking anything out of my 27 years old *fresh* water tank.

Old 03-26-2003, 09:22 AM   #12

clean water tank

Hi, Gee, thanks for all the great ideas. I am definately glad I never agreed to the $500.00 job. I am beginning to be thankful the frest water tank was absent. I would hate to use water from a tank that has been standing for a very long time. I am going to look for a couple or more jugs that will fit under the dinette seat, ones that I can take out, drain, clean, refill, and replace. I will look for a hand pump and have it installed for me along with the required clear plastic hose needed. Thanks again, I will keep you informed. Julie

Old 03-31-2003, 01:58 AM   #13

One water tank solution

Hi go to one of you local marine supply stores and price out a flexible bladder water tank it can be put anywhere and you wont have to cut any fiberglass, they are used in sailboats all the time one type that comes to mind is made by Vetus.
Cheers

Old 03-31-2003, 02:02 AM   #14

Hi julie

http://www.ahoycaptain.com/shop/watertanks.html

Theres the website that has 10 gallon vetus water tanks for 59.00 you can install it anywhere you want

Peace Tony

Old 03-31-2003, 02:11 AM   #15

Last one Julie

I found a "plastimo" flexible water tank on ebay for 29.00 in Florida,
This is just what you need it will solve your water delima for under 100 beans easy

Chow Bella

Capt Tony 14 Surfside tm

Old 03-31-2003, 09:34 AM   #16

clean water tank

Thanks so much for all the replies and help... I have put a bid in on the Plastimo flexable water tank. This tank holds 13 gallons of water and will fit most anywhere. I had the idea that the nozzle had to be up to prevent leaking, this thought was making the purchase of a hard sided, water carrier, more difficult, as most of them when upright wouldn't fit in the space provided... Next I will need to find a hand pump, I will check out a marine store as well as a camping store. Thanks again for the help... Julie

Old 04-01-2003, 07:40 AM   #17

clean water tank

Hi, I have bid on the Plastimo flexable water tank on e-bay. The bid was at 29.00 when we started,it is now at 52.00. I am not able to stay home and continue the bid as I need to get to work this morning. If I do win the bid I believe that this should do the trick. You are telling me that I will be able to attach a flexable hose and a hand pump to complete the job right? Julie
Thanks again for all your help

Old 04-02-2003, 08:30 AM   #18

clean water tank

Well, I lost the bid on the flexable water tank. I had to go to work and someone outbid me by one dollar... I will continue to look for a Plastimo or Vetus water tank and the hand pump. Perhaps I will call a Marine store on the East Coast, I live in the Central East Coast area of Florida. The Space Coast, home of the space program....Julie

Old 04-02-2003, 11:33 AM   #19

I was searching yesterday(google), and I think you can get a brand new soft water tank for about that much, and freight would be cheaper. about everytime I buy on e-bay freight is double. I did a search for hand pump rv faucet. found a tank at one of those places. :lol cute faucets too.

Old 04-02-2003, 06:01 PM   #20

Water tank

A new hand pump(rocker pump) should cost about 20-30$ at the most.
the hose should be about 30cents a foot the tank will depend on what you get.
I bought a tank from a manufacturer here in Ontario, and it was only
$80.00 made to my specs as to where I needed fittings and what size.
You might try:

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-pump...-water-tank.htm

or:

http://www.dura-weld.com/tanks.htm

You can always just use the jugs as others have suggested and keep your suction hose long enough to run outside to the jugs