Closet layout to couch/dinette layout questions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2018, 03:47 PM   #1

Name: Katie
Trailer: Scamp
Idaho
Closet layout to couch/dinette layout questions

I have a 1998 13ft Scamp and am in the middle of converting the front closet layout to a couch/dinette. My question is about the table. I can't decide between the classic pedestal style or the drop down/hinged model. Since there wasn't a table there before, I would need to add an attachment point and reinforcement if I did the hinged table, but I'm assuming I'd also have to provide some reinforcement for the pedestal style as well, right? My mind is so deep into thinking about the logistics, it feels like I'm completely lost. Has anyone done this and what did it take? Thanks in advance!
katidesc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 03:55 PM   #2

Name: Katie
Idaho
I see another thread!

Okay, so I tried to search for this topic and the search function isn't much help, but I was able to find another thread based on a google search. Can anyone suggest ways to make the search function work better?
katidesc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 06:11 PM   #3

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
There are two styles of mounting bases for post mounted tables. Both of them work.

Once style has the closed bottom cup the post drops into going below the floor. To install that type you have to cut a hole through the floor and usually you need to reinforce the floor from underneath the trailer as well to be sure there is enough thickness of plywood for the screws to bite into for holding strength. The advantage of that type is that it is fairly flush to the floor and does not create a trip hazard when the table is not in place. The disadvantage is having to cut a hole in your floor.

The other type is completely above the floor. It is sometimes called a marine table base. This style does not require cutting a hole in the floor. You do need enough plywood thickness for the screws to securely bite into the original floor of the trailer. You will have a several inches high post base on top of your floor which is the disadvantage.

When you order a base it is a good idea to order it as a set with the post and the mounting piece that screws under the table. Buying the pieces from different makers might result in a wobbly fit of the post or too tight of a fit. Do read reviews and look for what the buyers have said about how well the post fits into the pieces. If they say wobbly then don't get it.

It is your choice which style to use. They both will do the job. I added some images below showing the one that has the receiving cup going below the floor and the other style with the cup rising above the floor.

k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 12:46 PM   #4

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Cool

OR you could use one of the many types of folding tables, which can then be taken outside as needed as well, or used at home for so many things. Lightweight, etc. Admittedly, not helpful if you need them as part of your bed bracing.

One type of folding table. Some of these have two, three, or even four height adjustments.

(I drew a checkerboard on ours with a fine-tipped paint pen; indelible and handy when we play mini-Oreo checkers. As we win "men" we get to eat them. A game with its own snack reward. (Mini Oreos come in chocolate and the more rare blond. Otherwise we use mini chocolate chip cookies and chocolate oreos).

BEST

Kai

(ai as in wait)
Attached Thumbnails
folding table from Peanut, almond-lifetime-folding-tables-.jpg  
Old 08-20-2018, 08:01 AM   #5

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16 Standard Layout 6
Illinois
Search by Site on Search Engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by katidesc13 View Post
Okay, so I tried to search for this topic and the search function isn't much help, but I was able to find another thread based on a google search. Can anyone suggest ways to make the search function work better?
Excuse the long explanation. I'm trying to cover everything in case you or someone reading this needs it.

Using your favorite search engine, such as Google or Bing enter your search term then request results from only one site.

Example:
<search words> site:fiberglassrv.com

Replace <search words> with the word or phrase you are searching for. Use quotes for your multiple words or phrase if you want only results with those exact words.

Scroll down below the ads in the search results to see returns from the site you specified.

If you have multiple results you want to visit you might want to single right-click (or long press on a touch screen) on the link then choose to open in a new tab or window. That way you don't have to keep repeating the search if clicking the back button loses your search results and you can have multiple tabs or windows open to compare results easily.

Note that this is the way it's supposed to work on search engines but occasionally you may see results from other sites. Search engines are always working with and tweaking their algorithms so take that in stride if the results sometimes seem a little goofy.

Dennis
DLDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 08:38 AM   #6

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
I have a 1998 13ft Scamp and am in the middle of converting the front closet layout to a couch/dinette. ....!
Is this the closet by the door? Will you be removing the floor to ceiling structure? If so, have you incorporated a replacement support for the roof as required?
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:21 AM   #7

Name: Barclay
Oregon
Check out the table my hubby built for our 13 ft Scamp. It has a clever rotating base with a removable table top. It folds out of the way
Bjkj Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:33 AM   #8

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Bjkj: pics?

Kai
ai as in wait
Old 08-22-2018, 09:50 AM   #9

Oregon
Posted some photos under mods awhile back. I will try to post again.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:06 AM   #10

Oregon
Table mod is shown under “Mod Finished”
Old 08-22-2018, 11:59 AM   #11

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Please repost w/pics and /or a link I cannot find this either
Thanks in advance
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 12:38 PM   #12

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Search hint: The "Site Search/Google" option at the bottom of the search menu found it on the first try, top hit. Google recognizes "finished" and "completed" as synonyms.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ted-85723.html

Barclay, I would love to have a couple of close-ups of the hardware used and the attachment to the bottom of the table and the closet or bench. Perhaps you could add them to the original thread to assist others who might want to copy your design. Clever indeed!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 02:12 PM   #13

Oregon
I will post more photos this afternoon
Old 08-22-2018, 02:35 PM   #14

Oregon
Photos of table and hardware. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3383.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	352.2 KB
ID:	123665Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3385.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	385.2 KB
ID:	123666Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3389.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	341.9 KB
ID:	123667Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3391.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	340.0 KB
ID:	123668Attachment 1Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3397.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	123669
Old 08-22-2018, 02:37 PM   #15

Oregon
Not the greatest photos. I will try again.
Old 08-22-2018, 02:50 PM   #16

Oregon
Ignore the food photo. [emoji4]
Old 08-22-2018, 02:52 PM   #17

Oregon
The fiberglass is backed with plywood where the bracket is installed.
Old 08-22-2018, 03:16 PM   #18

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Cheaper version of the table I put in: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...yst-77423.html
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 11:51 AM   #19

Name: Liz
Trailer: cruiser RV fun finder
Texas
I love your mod! I may use your idea I have been trying to figure out how to make a swing out type table. I did a similar mod, very inexpensively using PVC pipe that has held up for 5 years, the last 6 months being full time. The tutorial page shows only three versions, I actually have a 4th one now using exactly the same pieces in a different configuration. Someday I'll get around to updating the post LOL Instructions here https://wackypup.blogspot.com/2016/1...diy-table.html

PaintyLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 12:05 PM   #20

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
I have a 1998 13ft Scamp and am in the middle of converting the front closet layout to a couch/dinette. My question is about the table. I can't decide between the classic pedestal style or the drop down/hinged model. Since there wasn't a table there before, I would need to add an attachment point and reinforcement if I did the hinged table, but I'm assuming I'd also have to provide some reinforcement for the pedestal style as well, right? My mind is so deep into thinking about the logistics, it feels like I'm completely lost. Has anyone done this and what did it take? Thanks in advance!
Seriously consider the Lagun table system. Lagun uses an articulating arm instead of a pedestal. Bjkj has a DIY version. It is clean looking extremely versatile in that you can change the table height, move the tabletop around a small space and even disassemble it altogether. And it doesn’t wobble like pedestal tables.

You can buy an additional receiver for the outside of your trailer so that you can move the table section out there. You will not have to install anything in the floor of your trailer.

The cost has come down substantially over the last few years from $300 to $179. This does not include the table top - which you can design & customize for that space.

Here’s one link: https://www.lagunusa.com

There are also several discussions on the escape site.

I there is a post on this site by Scamp or casita owner who installed one in the front bench of their trailer.

Please post your progress with this mod.