Closet shelves - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2007, 10:20 AM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
We found that we tend to leave the bed down while camping and throw our duffle bags underneath and not in the closet, so my hubby converted the closet to a pantry (as seen here in a couple of different posts) and I think that it will be great. I was piling food up in the corner by the stove and had to unpile at night when it was used as a bed.

I had little baskets on the inside of the door previously and can fit everything that was in them on just the one top shelf with room to spare. Our little microwave fits in perfectly with plenty of breathing room. My husband ran an outlet into the cubby under the bed so we can access power from the outside through the new access door and the microwave plugs right in. My husband tack welded some bolts to the underside of the microwave and secured it through the wire mesh of the shelves.
Just an FYI the door is off for painting and will be reinstalled, I dont want stuff flying off of the shelves.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3238a.jpg
Views:	687
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	8472

I am getting so excited, all of the stickers came off and we resealed around the middle and the windows and it's off to the paint booth tonight!

Name:	3239a.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	8473
Kenny&Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 01:47 PM   #2

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Looks good. Where did you find the little microwave?

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 04:09 PM   #3

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Your closet looks great!
We discovered very quickly that the closet wasn't very useful and are almost through with a very similar project. Still have to do the staining to match the new kitchen cabinets and some trim but here is our closet project. We took it camping already and what a difference in having things organized.
What color/colors are you going to paint?

Name:	Closet_project_A.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	8480
Attached Thumbnails
Closet_project.jpg  
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 10:45 PM   #4

Wow Greg that closet looks great! I had the same thing in mind with the first microwave I purchased, then I found the little dorm model second hand (they have them on ebay sometimes too, Sharp, but shipping is horrible). I will have to keep a picture of yours on file for when the tiny one finally dies.
I really like not having to open the door to get to the microwave. What brand is the one that you have? And is there "breathing room" for it at all?

Oh, and I am just painting everything off white and changing out the knobs and hinges to silver. I think that it makes it look more spacious without the dark cabinets.

The new look for the trailer will be melon colors:
honeydew for the outside (VW bug green)
watermelon color cushions
cantaloupe,watermelon,honeydew striped curtains
Old 06-27-2007, 03:52 AM   #5

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft / Chevy Astrovan
Great looking closet shelves!
Is the hardware that stuff you use for bookshelves?
Connie M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 04:46 AM   #6

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
Great looking job.
Put shelves in my closet but did it GREEN useing some materials I had on hand so cost was $0 to me and kept alitle bit of trash out of the dumpster.
See my work at:
http://s54.photobucket.com/albums/g108/can...2013ft%20Boler/

Gerry the canoebuilder
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 06:59 AM   #7

Trailer: 1992 13 ft Scamp
Looks good. We love the shelf system we installed a year ago descibed in the post titled Closet Shelves Installed '92S13' . The thread was last posted on May 22,2006.

Dave and Diane
DianeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 08:58 AM   #8

Connie--yes, I just used the shelf hardware and zipited the wire shelves to it. They move a little front to back, the zip ties really helped sturdy them up. I bought them second hand at a habitat for humanity surplus type store.
Of course now that I have seen Greg's design I like that better Although I like having the lip on the wire shelf to keep everything in.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:44 AM   #9

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Jackie-
The micro is a Hotpoint that Home Depot was dumping for $30 when I was in there one day. It has all the same features our big one in the house does.
I have ventilation all the way around and will eventually add a side grill on the closet by the door whenever I can find the right decorative grill.

I love your color choices and can't wait to see it.

Gerry- awesome looking shelf mod...

2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 02:39 AM   #10

Trailer: Two 13 ft Scamps
Registry
<span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%">VERY NICE !</span>
jaye580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 01:52 AM   #11

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft / Chevy Astrovan

Name:	closetpic.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	8835
)

The uprights are aluminum tubing, painted white, from an old 2meter antenna (could use EMT conduit), with holes drilled every 3 inches. Shelf supports are big nuts and bolts. Top 3 shelves are nice and smooth 1/4" plywood, bottom shelf is thicker and rough, so covered it with contact paper. To make a nice edge on the front of the shelves, I used some pieces of poster-framing plastic u-channel stuff. Oh yeah, and I put some plastic film cans on the bottom of the tubing, so the uprights wouldn't cut into the ensolite on the bottom of the closet.

Used materials we had on hand, so cost was zero. (Every now and again, all the stuff we save actually comes in handy! )
Connie M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 06:45 AM   #12

Trailer: Boler 1984

Name:	Inside_Closet.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	8836

Wife wanted to keep the hanging space so I just added some 1"x1" spacers and laid in a piece of metal shelving with the lip up.
Did the same for overhead shelving. Since you can see through it, it still feels open and not claustrophobic. Left it a little long. Shoved it in ALL the way, and then pulled it back an inch. Hasn't moved in 3 years. Cost...$2 at a yard sale.
Jim
Attached Thumbnails
PICT0002_2.jpg  
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote